Good Mourning review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 13, 2003
Alkaline Trio: Good Mourning

It just feels weird that Alkaline Trio use sound effects, but the overall of the music it's still great as usual. The part that makes this album sounds strange is the balance the feeling. Most tracks in "Good Mourning" are fast and lifely... or deathly, either one. But they kind of forgot the slow, emotional tracks as "Fuck You Aurora" in "Maybe I'll Catch Fire", or "You're Dead" in "From Here to Infirmary"... you can look for it yourself. I can't find a touching-enough song that makes it so special or might make someone cry. "Good Mourning" just does not sound complete because I was expecting more than "Blue in the Face" as the slow song, but the show was already over.

The thing about this album is that it makes some fans - including me - afraid if Alkaline Trio will change. It's not that I can't deal with it, but i can't stand the lyrics of "This Could be Love". Slitting their throat and play in their own blood doesn't sound like something Alkaline Trio usually say. And don't forget that they kept on talking about coffin, blood and vampire stuff in almost all the tracks. I hope in the future it would not end up that they talk less and less about the feeling, and all that is left in the lyrics are the coffin, blood and vampire stuff. I'm just afraid if they've lost their magic, which I hope they never will. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Alkaline Trio, but I just can't listen to this album like the way I listen and love their past ones. But still, this might be my own wrong way of seeing it.

I know it sounded like I kept on saying negative things about "Good Mourning". That's because I want to be honest to myself that the lyrics are rather... dissapointing. I always tell everyone that what I love from Alkaline Trio the most are their lyrics and the feeling they added to the music, and this album is just shockingly different than I thought it would be. But just like other Alkaline Trio albums - technically it's great. It's just lacking some things, which will not allow me to love the album as much as their other albums.