Maybe I'll Catch Fire review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Feb 29, 2000
Alkaline Trio: Maybe I'll Catch Fire

When I bought Maybe I'll Catch Fire, I already had Good Mourning and Here To Infirmary, which were pretty damn good, so I was expecting good things from this album. what I was not expecting was for it to be the best album I'd ever heard in my life so I was pretty pleased when I listened to it and decided it was. Recored with Asian Man instead of Vagrant records like the others I owned, this album has a more raw sound which really suits the songs on it. Normally, when I first buy albumsthey become favourite until I get something else, which then becomes temporary favourite, and so on, but this album has remanied a firm favourite for all the months that I've owned it. Not every song is perfect, but I'd really recommend this to anyone, so go buy it now!

The first song on this album, Keep'em Coming, has pretty awful lyrics which may have some maning, but if they do I'm too dumb to have noticed. The next two songs arent really up to much either but track 3 has a really pretty bass riff so I'm willing to forgive. The rest of the songs on this album are pretty kewl, tho some (She Took Him To The Lake) can be a little dull. The title track, Maybe I'llCatch Fire, is amazing, as is Radio (which I love because its easy to play, and because it was the last song they played when I saw them live). A few tracks could benefit from being a bit faster, but thats probably the only fault that I can think of. Matt Skiba's voice sounds a lot sexier on this album than the others as the record hasnt been messed with in the studio, and Dan Adriano's voice sound brilliantly emotional on bonus track I Lied My Face Off.

This is the best Alk3 album I've heard so far, and so I'm hoping to be impressed when I can get the cash to buy Godammit. My favourite tracks are Tuck Me In, Maybe I'll Catch Fire, Radio and Sleepyhead. The songs aren't named very well but are generally good, although I normally skip to track 4 as the first 3 arnt half as good as the others. The main thing I love about this album is Matt Skiba's voice (it's just so damn sexy!) It's a shame the other albums wernt on this record label, as the 'produced' sound loses the emotion and strength of this album. Can honestly say that if I lost this album I'd have to hang myself. I'd have to sell my beloved guitar to buy a new one.