Maybe I'll Catch Fire review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Feb 29, 2000
Alkaline Trio: Maybe I'll Catch Fire

I believe the sound on this CD is Alkaline Trio at their prime. Granted, their new stuff is also good, but it sounds too overproduced for my likings. This was their second studio LP release on Mike Park's Asian Man Records, and easily one of their best CDs. I'm like many others, I first picked up 'Good Mourning' and 'From Here To Infirmary' a few years ago, but it left me wanting more from these guys. So I decided to go back and check out their older stuff, and it blew my mind. First off, the vocals on this CD, in my opinion, don't stand up at all to Good Mourning. The raw emotion in their voices is heartbreaking and some times nerveracking (but in a good way). Matt Skiba's (guitar/vocals)voice has a more raw sound to it than Good Mourning (granted, that's because he had lost his voice during Good Mourning's recording process, and it's been changed since) and the bass lines are also more fluid, and more difficult to play. No offense to Dan Andriano, but it's almost like he's gone down in skill on their recent albums. The drumming is also superb, like it is on every album. Though, Glen Porter isn't quite as bombish as their current drummer, Derek Grant of the Suicide Machines.

Their lyrics are emotional, chilling, and just overall wonderful and brilliant. That's one of the things that I respect most about this band, is that their songwriting abilities are out of this world. Take the very first line of 'Radio' for example: "Shaking, like a dog shitting razorblades." Now, that's kind of sickening, yeah, but it's genius. It's a wonderful simile. the chorus for that same song is one of the best on the record: "I've got a big, fat, f--king bone to pick, with you my darling. In case you haven't heard I'm sick and tired of trying. I wish you would take my radio to bathe with you, plugged in and ready to fall." Do yourself a favor and look up the lyrics to this album. They're some of the best written in Alk3's history. Maybe not quite as well as they wrote on Goddamnit! but it's close. 'Tuck Me In' is one of my favorite songs, lyrically, on this record. The chorus says "I fall out onto the floor, like liquid white from fallen glass, nothing to cry over." Dan's not quite up to par with Skiba, but his songs are also wonderful in their own right. Look up the lyrics to the title song "Maybe I'll Catch Fire" and see for yourself.

My overall impression? It's my second favorite Alkaline Trio record, and one of the best in my huge collection. There's not many low points, and when there are, you can't hear them unless you concentrate. It's a wonderful CD, Alkaline Trio at some of their best. Now all I need is the Hot Water Music split, the One Man Army split, and a legal copy of Goddamnit! and I'll have the whole collection. Every CD they have is wonderful, and this is one of their best. I do suggest you go and pick it up, especially if you've yet to buy Crimson. Go back and get acquainted with their old sound before you see their new one. And before they go on tour with My Chemical Romance in September, because then all the little yuppie emo self-centered asses will be all crazy about them.