Maybe I'll Catch Fire review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Feb 29, 2000
Alkaline Trio: Maybe I'll Catch Fire

From the sound you can tell that it is an early album of theirs, if you compare it to what they have now in crimson. The pure emotion felt in the songs "F--k you aurora, I lied my face off, she took him to the lake" is anger and heartbreak. That's what this album is fuelled by drink, drugs and pure emotion. The rawness of dan and matts voice adds greatly. The guitar and bass flow where the drums have such a catchy beat to them. If you take for example the riff in she took him to the lake, pure brilliance.

The lyrics are excellent and strange. In F--k You Aurora "You won't catch me behind the wheel of a chrysler ever again" the lyrics have a sense of anger and heartbreak in them. The anger in the lyrics and vocals of Dan Adriano in I lied my face off is pure "I lied myface off when I said that I would be okay, it's never fine when you go away, these cuts run deep, these scars are permanent." There is also some great duelling vocals between Skiba and Adriano in This Is Getting Over You.

This album is by far their best work. In comparison to Crimson there is more emotion and talent put into it. Crimson is a good album but it doesn't stand up to this. The most impressive songs on this album I think are I Lied My Face Off, Tuck Me In, You've Got So Far To Go, She Took Him To The Lake And Keep Em' Coming Not Forgetting Radio, these songs in my opinion are the best on the album but every other song is just as worthy. If I lost this album I would definitly rush out to buy it again.