This Addiction review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Feb 23, 2010
Alkaline Trio: This Addiction

There have been some good vibes surrounding this album. Alkaline Trio left their major label in favour of their own imprint and have promised an album that exposes their punk rock roots. Now, history has taught us to always take such claims with a pinch of salt, but the hope of an album full of Clavicle's has become more difficult to ignore in some circles not that the band themselves ever actually claimed to be remaking Goddamnit' or anything. In reality This Addiction' is exactly what the Trio actually said it would be: a rock record with Chicago punk influence that shares the palette with the art rock and new wave from Agony & Irony', and takes the place of Crimson's theatre and mystique. The chord progressions that have been passed around the band's back catalogue like cheap whores make a welcome return be it C#5, A5, E5, B5 (This Addiction', The American Scream'), E5, A5, E5, B5 (Dine, Dine My Darling') or C5, G5, F5 (Piss And Vinegar'). They're tried and tested and are absolutely intrinsic to the band's charm, so right off the bat it's easy to say This Addiction' is far from a disappointment.

It's a wonder that they aren't bed-ridden after fourteen years of lyrics stained by blood, sweat and vomit, but it just wouldn't be Alkaline Trio without a good exorcism. And once again, the crowning jewel comes from Dan Andriano; the utterly crushing Fine' rounds off the album in a way so sublime that for a moment you forget that the ten other tracks even happened. There's the odd blunder though Eating Me Alive' and Dine, Dine My Darling's rather twee rhyme scheme come to mind, with the former's cheesiness being matched only by the fruity 80's synth that accompanies it...which we'll just pretend didn't happen. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would, for various reasons, say the same about 2008's Agony & Irony', but the band continue to benefit from the increase in vocal range and general singing prowess that both Andriano and Matt Skiba underwent during its creation. While there was a certain likeability to the pitchy, Nose Over Tail' approach to the songs of old, it's very satisfying to hear punky tracks like Lead Poisoning' with vocals that are absolutely bang-on.

In the interest of fairness, Alkaline Trio albums should probably all be reviewed after no more than two or three listens, because if you give them much more time, sooner or later, their tunes always get you. What can start as a skippable track can miraculously reveal itself to be a classic when you visit it next, but luckily that's not a two-way street. The faults that appear on the first few listens all wash away with time, which is quite frustrating for someone who needs to present a definite opinion, but hey, that's no big deal when you've got another quality disc from this fine band.

Greenfinger182
    NemX162
    As stated up above, this album truly is how Godammit would sound if the band wrote it as they are today. A fun album, in a much better direction than Agony & Irony.
    myself_kris
    contagioned
    I don't get why everyone loves this album. It's average. Nothing compared to their older things, people say it's back to their roots, it's closer to being back to Crimson than anything before it. Which was the start to my disliking. They had a few songs that reminded me of From Here to Infirmary, but not nearly enough.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    Greenfinger182 wrote: I've given this album a listen-through or two. Upon first impression, the majority of the songs sounded the same. So...I'm glad they're back to their punk roots
    i lol'd
    QBAG
    this album is awesome. i was not a fan of crimson (although mercy me is one of my favorite songs) agony and irony was pretty good but was over produced and lacked the raw sound that made us all love this band. they are going back to their old style, and i love it!
    alkalineweeman
    A definate step in the right direction, crimson and agony and irony just didnt do it for me, there were 2 or 3 good tracks on each but it just lacked, this addiction is by no means perfect but a definate improvement. All reviews are pretty spot on, good work guys.
    chrisdazzo
    Worst album I've heard in a long time. I can't believe people honestly like this. After Agony and Irony, I expected a lot more from them.
    FattMikE
    The cd is amazing Pre ordered special edition shirt cd dvd sticker poster early download best deal of the year.....Great reviews by all of you "Personally, I loved this album and could spend several days just listening to it" (been listening to it since I got it...****ing brilliance
    FenderMaster
    just bought this album today, and it's very good! on my initial impressions, i'd say it's better than Crminson, Agony and Irony, worse than goddammit, MICF and FHTI, and about on a par with Good Mourning i agree with jrock's review though, i miss the hoarse gut wrenching screams of old btw, Matts playing a jaguar now, can't really tell from the sound though
    Torn_Asunder
    This album was amazing, love it almost as much as Remains and From Here to Infirmary, but just one thing I didn't like, Matt really should have put some variety in his guitar work on this album, a great majority of the songs written by Matt include the famous interval: 6, 4, 1, 5. I'm sure other people have noticed this too. Apart from that, album was amazing, 20 out of 10.
    NearlyPrescient
    myself_kris wrote: Yea, this album is just all wrong. They've clearly stolen some of their older songs and are using them again with different lyrics. No stand out songs, they all just sounded plain, not experimental or different at all. Just boring. Atleast Agony and Irony had Calling All Skeletons and In Vein. I am a massive trio fan but this is just shocking.
    I don't know, before release, I heard them debut one of the new tracks at a show and remember thinking that it sounded just like something off Good Mourning. Now that it's out and I've listened to it a few times, I can't figure out which track it was. I think it's a really smooth blend of all their past material, but I don't think it sounds like anything has just been given new lyrics.