This Is Where It Ends review by All Shall Perish

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jul 29, 2011
  • Sound: 6
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 7 (97 votes)
All Shall Perish: This Is Where It Ends
0

Sound — 6
In a nutshell? Better than you'd think, but there's always better bands. So, you know me, I generally and genuinely don't like deathcore. Even if its been re-worked to sound "different", it still sounds like condoms to my ears. All Shall Perish are a little bit different. Despite doing the whole routine of ultra-low, b00tzy br00tz stuff (low tuned guitars, growl/scream vocals, breakdowns, the whole 8 string malarkey, that sort of thing), they're the only band I've ever heard to do deathcore properly. By properly, I mean make it a legitimate genre and not some other music fad that'll be gone some time soon. This is because of two things: Their guitarists. I've always stood by the idea that bands adding melody to deathcore would at least make it less tedious to listen to, but "This Is Where It Ends" sort of mocks all other deathcore bands who try it with a "I'm much much better than you" sticker on its chest. Not only is it actually melodically well written (this album is actually more melodic than 99% of all deathcore I've heard), the guitarists are technical as hell. Usually deathcore gets shtick because of the "lazy" (or just awful) guitar playing, but this duo shreds, riffs and harmonizes better than quite a few technical death metal bands. Perhaps lacking in the same technicality for all instruments (the drumming is somewhat under-whelming by comparison and the bass guitarist makes no effort to be noticed on the album at all), but by no means dull. The riffs maybe a little "similar" in a sense, so you might have heard some influence from Devildriver, Lamb Of God, Gothenburg metal, a chunk of 80's/90's death metal, but I guess it shows they're diverse and don't stick to the whole palm muted B diminished minor 6th chord (or whatever, I don't know balls on music theory). They also throw in some ATG style acoustic guitar bits, and even a piano segment on "The Past Will Haunt Us Both". But then again, it'd just be so so much better without breakdowns. Even with their admirable attempts to make them interesting (some seriously tight fills going on), it all ends up being yet more open string, chuggy chuggy, psuedo-polyrhythmic, fruitlessly idiotic F# notes with some string bends, divebombs and maybe a pinch harmonic for added br00tz. Somehow a metal album that's stuck at 70bpm for half the time doesn't quite work.

Lyrics — 5
If death metal is (more often than not) openly raging against religion, then deathcore is a bunch of agnostic apologetics. ASP has the sort of lyrics that try to portray a message, but end up losing themselves in "we wills" and "you wonts" (and various interchanges there-upon) and "this table is making me angry, lets chug some chug with a couple of swear words". But seriously, apparently there isn't enough anti-belief system lyrical content floating around in metal, I guess the only thing to do is to add more! Now, really seriously, Hernan Hernia or whatever his name is isn't that bad a lyricist. Perhaps the idea was a bit clich, but there are many ways to make it sound a bit different (like most deathcore music, aha. Anyway). For example, the first track "Divine Illusion" (I don't have much trust in the reliability of the source of the lyrics) has lines like this: "You must fear your maker or else you'll plummet down. For your salvation blindly follow them into his words. We'll purify you. You'll suffer no pain within his hands. Just bow your head, show your lament, and soon you'll understand." Now Hernan is perhaps not the best vocalist to have ever existed. Well, he tries. Despite some love affair with sounding like a 12 year old girl screaming for a hairbrush, he does some decent low-end vox, and can pull them off live without covering it in bass. He even tries his hand at the Jaz Coleman style of "trying to growl and sing at the same time and sounding a bit like Lemmy"... Thingy. It actually works, not only does it not sound rubbish, but it enhances the tasty guitar work going on (on the few occasions he does it, at least). There's also some amazing clean vocal line on the last track that came out of nowhere. Just thought that should be mentioned. Oh, there's also some person from some dead band called Despised Pinecone who doesn't do anything on a song somewhere on the album. Just thought it should be mentioned.

Overall Impression — 7
Well, personally, I haven't heard much deathcore that shows this level of progression, technicality, song-writing, forward thinking, sweet guitar jammage or appropriate use of 8 string guitars in anything death metal related. That goes without saying, a bit contrived, but bands claiming to be "progressive deathcore" don't hold a candle to ASP. Would I buy this album? No. Would I buy their other albums? No. Would I go see them live? No. But would I call them bad? No. Behold, the only good deathcore album in current existence. Songs to look out for: "There Is Nothing Left", "Procession Of Ashes", "Spineless", "The Past Will Haunt Us Both", "Rebirth", "In This Life Of Pain".

66 comments sorted by best / new / date

    staceap
    I love this album to bits, it's one of my favourite death metal albums.
    Oosh.
    Zeppelin Addict wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Behold, the only good deathcore album in current existence. It's close minded comments like this that make your entire review irrelevant and a waste of time. Do your research next time to.. You shouldn't be writing a review if you can't even get the band members names right.
    You don't need to know the names of the band members to be a fan of a band, nor are they a nessesary component to a review.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Sounds like condoms to your ears? I really dont have to say anything smart to that, you embarrass yourself with your reveiws and most of your comments.
    ChemicalFire
    A lot of your problems with the album seem to come from the fact that it's a Deathcore album "it'd just be so so much better without breakdowns". You don't even consider that not all people dislike deathcore as a genre in this review.
    EpiExplorer
    Zeppelin Addict wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Behold, the only good deathcore album in current existence. It's close minded comments like this that make your entire review irrelevant and a waste of time. Do your research next time to.. You shouldn't be writing a review if you can't even get the band members names right.
    I would like to draw your attention to this: http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb... HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png Besides, I know what their names were, but Hernan Hernia just sounded so much better when I couldn't think properly.
    MT_Obsidian
    The fact that this review is even allowed to be posted, whether it is a serious one or not, is a travesty in and of itself. Such biased garbage should not be allowed to represent an album-- especially one that was just released. Even if reviews are opinions, this is a terrible one at best.
    Despite doing the whole routine of ultra-low, b00tzy br00tz stuff...
    it all ends up being yet more open string, chuggy chuggy, psuedo-polyrhythmic, fruitlessly idiotic F# notes with some string bends, divebombs and maybe a pinch harmonic for added br00tz.
    Seriously? If you don't like deathcore and breakdowns, that's fine, but don't sit there and judge a band simply because they include them in their music. And leave the LOLspeak out next time; it is not funny or entertaining. It is retarded.
    g27dude
    They clearly stated from the beginning that they do not want to be grouped into any genre that could limit what they could do. That's exactly what you're doing. You aren't giving it a fair review. It's just all "This is good - for a deathcore band. That's good - for a deathcore band." Shut the **** up and rate the album for what it is. Not what genre you have it labeled under in your mind. I'd like to add that Francesco is probably a better guitarist than many death metal and classical guitarists alike. Quit looking down on them just because a few idiots decided to label them "deathcore"
    Alexi_hammett
    By the way, "After The Burial" and "Winds Of Plague" DESTROY "All Shall Perish" on every level. Those are just two bands that do.
    ninjagayden777
    Behold, the only good deathcore album in current existence.
    Veil of Maya - [id] Born of Osiris - The Discovery Suicide Silence - No Time To Bleed Whitechapel - This Is Exile Your argument, sir, is invalid.
    thor632
    axeldarkman420 wrote: Haters gonna hate. It sounds like TPOE and ATD mashed together.
    That's EXACTLY what I thought. Takes the good from both albums and improves on what ATD didn't do. Got it today and already in love with it
    scarter1192
    ChemicalFire wrote: A lot of your problems with the album seem to come from the fact that it's a Deathcore album "it'd just be so so much better without breakdowns". You don't even consider that not all people dislike deathcore as a genre in this review.
    +1. While I can understand the hatred towards bands like Suicide Silence or Emmure (both ridiculously bad), there are many many many "deathcore" bands that can play their instruments VERY well and write music that is very creative. Veil Of Maya? The Contortionist? Born Of Osiris?
    Jcsb1993
    ninjagayden777 wrote: Veil of Maya - [id] Born of Osiris - The Discovery Suicide Silence - No Time To Bleed Whitechapel - This Is Exile Your argument, sir, is invalid.
    I agreed with you entirely until you mentioned Suicide Silence and Whitechapel. Always nice to get a review from someone who's a little on the outside and isn't super into a genre. The review made me laugh and addressed serious points as well, so I feel it was a very good review.
    C. BRUCE
    i think this album was bashed too much. its a great album, dunno why it had a bad overall review..
    Arthemesic
    No comments on the album, just gonna say the reviewer seems to know little about vocals. His rants on Hermida's voice are ill-concieved, because I know it for a fact that when a vocalist knows what he's doing, you can hear it. Hermida uses a technique of extreme finesse and practice, which simply cannot sound good without actually knowing how to do it.
    EpiExplorer
    ^ Cuz it sounds nice. ...Yet, I'm reading back over this and cringing. Damn you, swedish alcohol.
    kingrikk
    another kid that has to much to say about something he knows little about
    oxymorcide
    EpiExplorer wrote: ^ Cuz it sounds nice. ...Yet, I'm reading back over this and cringing. Damn you, swedish alcohol.
    Haha.. Swedish Alcohol. Well, I should check this out. Thanks bro.
    MrHigh
    You basically praised the whole album throughout the review, minus a few minor drawbacks. Get your head out your ass. This music isnt "scene" or bad because it has the suffix -core in the genre.
    Zeppelin Addict
    EpiExplorer wrote: Behold, the only good deathcore album in current existence.
    It's close minded comments like this that make your entire review irrelevant and a waste of time. Do your research next time to.. You shouldn't be writing a review if you can't even get the band members names right.
    Interpolheed
    And what everyone seems to not understand is that reviews are opinions of the person writing it. The writer of a review doesn't poll UG members and then write a review based off of everyone's comments on the album. It's all opinionated, all biased. Everyone is opinionated, everyone is biased. FFS
    scithe37
    I'm not a fan of deathcore either, but I don't mind these guys too much. The guitars, like he says, aren't too bad on this though. I don't understand the prejudice against the 'breakdown'. Yes, they are overused in most -core bands, but some breakdowns are just the tits.
    captainsnazz
    EpiExplorer wrote: I H8 TEH CHUGZZ BUT I WILL SAY THIS R K SO NO1 THINK I'M A DICK!!11
    Okay. Going to listen to this in a min.
    laklok
    scarter1192 wrote: ChemicalFire wrote: A lot of your problems with the album seem to come from the fact that it's a Deathcore album "it'd just be so so much better without breakdowns". You don't even consider that not all people dislike deathcore as a genre in this review. +1. While I can understand the hatred towards bands like Suicide Silence or Emmure (both ridiculously bad), there are many many many "deathcore" bands that can play their instruments VERY well and write music that is very creative. Veil Of Maya? The Contortionist? Born Of Osiris?
    This. Veil and BOO are two super legit bands.
    Alexi_hammett
    I understand reviews are opinions but, you obviously dont know anything about the genre. All Shall Perish are good but not "The best Death-Core album ever" good.
    rongold360
    Ok, good review about the bass and drums and half the guitar, but the 70bpm and chugs sound good to me, i love them, and if you honestly think its the only good deathcore album, look up any single song by August Burns Red. Technical as ****, still keeping to breakdowns because people like me actually LIKE THEM. You close-minded prick.
    qrEE
    Death Metal hardly rages against religion. There are bands that do, but the bands that don't far outweigh them. Cynic, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Obscura, Gorguts, Opeth, some Cryptopsy (Once was Not, for example), Autopsy, etc. Only Decide, which sucks, is the major "anti-religion" band. It's more of a Black Metal thing.
    screamer1995
    Don't review an album if you're biased against the genre. My gawd, seriously, you understand nothing of hardcore music if you think these bands will leave out breakdowns. Breakdowns have become a huge part of Hardcore/Metal music in the past few years because PEOPLE LIKE THEM. Deathcore is an extreme genre of music like motocross is an extreme sport. If you don't like it you can stick to tennis and leave the reviewing someone who really knows what they're reviewing.
    CapnKickass
    screamer1995 wrote: Don't review an album if you're biased against the genre. My gawd, seriously, you understand nothing of hardcore music if you think these bands will leave out breakdowns. Breakdowns have become a huge part of Hardcore/Metal music in the past few years because PEOPLE LIKE THEM. Deathcore is an extreme genre of music like motocross is an extreme sport. If you don't like it you can stick to tennis and leave the reviewing someone who really knows what they're reviewing.
    hey, it's alright man, this way we get different perspectives
    TheRenamonLove
    Article is Bull Shit. Death Metal = What ever the **** you want to write about. Just make sure it's the style that matters. Deathcore = Make sure it's fast enough.
    Countsluggo
    I do think that all shall perishs first 2 records are fantastic pieces of work. Their last 2 however have been too influenced by the shitty deathcore genre they helped create. They've become a watered down joke of themselves.
    laklok
    robarge00 wrote: Alexi_hammett wrote: By the way, "After The Burial" and "Winds Of Plague" DESTROY "All Shall Perish" on every level. Those are just two bands that do. lol? Listen to Winds of Plauges new album and then ASP's, then honestly tell me which is better.
    ATB are pretty kickass but I don't think WoP can even keep up with ASP.
    TriKef
    JakeFreeman256 wrote: However, when this guy referred to Despised Icon as Despised Pinecone, I laughed hysterically.
    THANK YOU, I thought I was the only one. And whats with those guys (I'm not sure which one is doing the guest appearances) and Whitechaple's vocalist appearing on other albums? I can understand them appearing with an album with a band like Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (shouting vocals) but with other deathcore bands? (Chelsae's Grin & ASP) Idk, deathcore doesn't seem like a genre that benefits greatly from guest appearances (even though "Classic Struggle" was done really well on Mitch's part.)
    BwareDWare94
    JakeFreeman256 wrote: However, when this guy referred to Despised Icon as Despised Pinecone, I laughed hysterically.
    Someone has to show me where that is. gotta love Epi's sense of humor
    SumFX
    screamer1995 wrote: you understand nothing of hardcore music if you think these bands will leave out breakdowns. Breakdowns have become a huge part of Hardcore leave the reviewing someone who really knows what they're reviewing .
    Yeah, it would mean more if you knew what Hardcore actually is dude. Stop flaming Epi because you don't agree with his opinion. He obviously doesn't like deathcore (good on him) but he thinks this band is alright and decided to write a decent review on them. I mean it's not like he is hating on the band or anything, he is just saying they are alright for Deathcore which is generally generic garbage, to me this doesn't sound like a hate review, it's well written and state good and bad things about the album, something a lot of reviews on here don't do.
    Slaytan666
    Somehow a metal album that's stuck at 70bpm for half the time doesn't quite work.
    Not a Crowbar fan, I'm guessing..
    Hellzchamber
    Would I buy their other albums? No.
    Their other albums are a lot better than this album. This new album is way heavier than their last two, and the solo's aren't nearly as great. That's probably because it's not Chris Storey though. I feel as if this band went a little downhill once they lost him.
    Harsil
    LOL! I just looked this up just now...I'm listening to it as I type this comment. They...have...changed. I know some bands change with every album. But it's usually progressive. This sounds like it could have come out 10 years ago.
    Zeppelin Addict
    EpiExplorer wrote: I would like to draw your attention to this: http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb... HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png Besides, I know what their names were, but Hernan Hernia just sounded so much better when I couldn't think properly.
    Not only did your link not work but having trollface in the url is just a little obvious... You're one mature dude. Sure man, you've got me convinced. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I read "or whatever his name is" after somebody's name.
    robarge00
    Alexi_hammett wrote: By the way, "After The Burial" and "Winds Of Plague" DESTROY "All Shall Perish" on every level. Those are just two bands that do.
    lol? Listen to Winds of Plauges new album and then ASP's, then honestly tell me which is better.
    Eddie Reaper
    I think i remember Pantera having breakdowns in some of their songs and i know they werent pussies at all.And ive never heard ASP until this review and to say the truth i liked em
    ChemicalFire
    Interpolheed wrote: And what everyone seems to not understand is that reviews are opinions of the person writing it. The writer of a review doesn't poll UG members and then write a review based off of everyone's comments on the album. It's all opinionated, all biased. Everyone is opinionated, everyone is biased. FFS
    Yes but other opinions should be considered. It's called writing a good and balance review.
    Scottckr
    rongold360 wrote: Ok, good review about the bass and drums and half the guitar, but the 70bpm and chugs sound good to me, i love them, and if you honestly think its the only good deathcore album, look up any single song by August Burns Red. Technical as ****, still keeping to breakdowns because people like me actually LIKE THEM. You close-minded prick.
    Did you just call ABR deathcore? ... Deathcore is mostly crap, I think there are tons of skilled musicians in the genre but the music kinda sucks to my ears, but I really like some of ASP's songs, even though this album is more metalcore than their previous stuff.
    Scottckr
    Hellzchamber wrote: Would I buy their other albums? No. Their other albums are a lot better than this album. This new album is way heavier than their last two, and the solo's aren't nearly as great. That's probably because it's not Chris Storey though. I feel as if this band went a little downhill once they lost him.
    /agree, I would love to see him back with ASP, he was totally insane... I saw he had some new band going on, can't remember the name though and dunno what happened with it...
    Loki_37
    Wow. I knew metal fans were dicks. Sad that we have deathcore fans going to the wall when EPIFUCKINGEXPLORER, hater of all known -core mechanics actually does a semi-decent comic review of a new album. I like ASP, I'll probably check out this album. They're decent for what they are. Stop complaining about the review and write one that's actually good. Christ.