...For We Are Many review by All That Remains

• Released: Oct 12, 2010
All That Remains: ...For We Are Many

All That Remains is back, after their very own St. Anger, "Overcome". Sure, it wasn't as bad as St. Anger, but it was still pretty bad. With "For We Are Many", they're back with their very own Death Magnetic, but it's much better. Fans of ATR were not happy with their last album, as they went soft and they did not do it an a good manner, the music was bland and generic. ATR knows this, and made sure that they would make sure fans knew what their new album was aimed at. The opening track, "Now Let Them Tremble", is just a real blast in your face. It's heavy, and a minute and half long. It's pretty much a breakdown, at the beginning of the album. But it's pretty interesting and well done with clever use of layered guitars. If you don't like metalcore, steer clear of this album. It's metalcore through and through. From breakdowns, screaming/clean vocal choruses and more breakdowns this is a metalcore album. They were very wary of not making a repeat of "Overcome". Yet, they still have their moments very reminiscent of their previous album. And let me tell you, they are the worst parts of the album. Luckily, out of the 12 songs only 2 of them are like this, them being "The Last Time" and "Hold On". They have only clean singing, which is subpar and boring music. Just don't listen to these tracks. "For We Are Many" has very good sequencing, with good pacing and arrangement. The first two tracks are heavy and remove any doubts of an "Overcome" repeat. Then it goes softer with "The Last Time", where it stumbles, but then picks up for the next 6 songs. Once again, it stumbles at "Hold On". The next track, "Keepers of Fellow Man" is a standard All That Remains song, but it's the closing track that earned a lot of respect for me. "The Waiting One" starts with an acoustic piece and clean vocals, but has a great transition to the heavy goodness we all love. It's the longest track on the album, and is by far the most adventurous track, but not the best. The 6 tracks in between "The Last Time" and "Hold On" have a very similar sound. It's not so that they sound generic or boring, and each song has it's own distinguishing feature. For instance, "Won't Go Quietly" has a really interesting and unique Wah guitar solo, "From The Outside" has really great usage of the double bass drum (rather than the usual fast paced drumming) and "Aggressive Opposition" has a really heavy and effective breakdown/bridge. This section is the body of the album and gives it's backbone and foundation. "Dead Wrong" is by far my favorite track. Phillip Labonte (the singer) does a great job on this track, with low growls to high black-metal shrieks. He also has his clean-ish vocals, but they sound much better on this track. The guitar work has a very creepy, eery feel to it at times. And the percussion is phenomenal on this track, I can't explain why but it just does something for me.

Phillip Labonte has a very unique voice. His screaming is instantly recognizable and his "clean" vocals has a gruffness to it that adds character. However, when that gruffness isn't there he sounds horrible, as shown on "The Last Time". The lyrics are good in the good tracks, but can falter at times. The lyrics to "The Last Time" are incredibly generic and cheesy, and they made me cringe. However, this is the exception rather than the rule, and they lyrics and singing are generally pretty good.

All That Remains really step it up a notch with "For We Are Many", and thankfully go back to old All That Remains. They still have elements of their more mainstream sound, but it's only occasionally and can be ignored for the most part. I'd say this album is definitely worth picking up if you like metalcore.