...For We Are Many review by All That Remains

• Released: Oct 12, 2010
All That Remains: ...For We Are Many

The news of All That Remain's newest effort, "...For We Are Many" was practically invisible to me. I was at Best Buy, and just noticed it out of nowhere! I figured to myself, "Their previous release, 'Overcome', was a little less than stellar. Oh well, I'll play the lottery on this one." And for sure, the album was worth the money. With chugging palm mute riffs soaring over my headphones, and Phil Labonte's vocals taking a similar growl and scream not really heard since "The Fall of Ideals", the album takes upon itself as All That Remain's official "sorry" record.

Phil Labonte's singing has always stood out compared to other metal-core groups immensely. Often being compare to Matt Heafy of Trivium, and Howard Jones of KSE, Phil Labonte proves to everyone that he isn't a copycat of the latter. The lyrics, to me, sound a little more redundant from what he's sang beofre. Sure, the subjects are different on this album, but when I listen to music, I like change. And change is something that just isn't on this CD.

The most well constructed track, "For We Are Many" is a little bit too much like the song structure on "The Fall of Ideals". Sadly, it's safe to say that about half of the album suffers from this, also. Despite a repitition of song structure and sounds, the album itself seems as if it were a near-perfect hybrid of their two previous releases.

link no1
    camc1214
    Jon777
    I absolutely hated this album upon fist listen, but after listening through it a few more times, I love it. It's certainly a grower. Not as good as The Fall of Ideals, but I like it.
    Jon777
    camc1214 wrote: Am I the only one who liked Overcome and For We Are Many?...man you kids are so picky, of course it wont be better than fall of ideals but still a damn good CD IMO.
    Sorry for the double post... Anyway, I'm right with you, man.
    BwareDWare94
    Amito
    I am really enjoying this album, but still the fall of ideals is their best
    tbag2325
    DudeI'mOnAlesse : lol @ all the idiots, just because you don't like a genre of music, doesn't mean it's "dead".
    Well said. I can't stand country and it all sounds the same, but it's definitely not dead
    Megalomaniac46
    Paro_metalhead wrote: Get over yourselves. Metalcore is dead. I would be surprised to see this whole subgenre still walkibg around on this planet. ATR were good at the start but making the same album overtime gets boring.
    Just because you grew out of it doesn't mean everyone else has to... Lol
    Angerday
    This album is sick from what i've heard. and i love the clean vocals in Hold on, it reminds me of two weeks a little.
    iheartgun
    link no1 wrote: to the reviewer that compares overcome to st.anger...really? overcome was a really good album, its just that the fans cant handle a more melodic album, moaning if there favorite band does anything slightly diffrent to the norm. "it nt brootalz enuf, he singz insted ov growlz all da times, singin sukz!?!?"
    thank you....overcome was fantastic AAAAANNNNDDDD they did a nevermore cover some pretty good justice
    eXcylon
    shit like Overcome.. still Fall of Ideals had the greatest sound ever
    LightxGrenade
    Listened to this album on my drive to work yesterday and my first thought was "meh". Some songs were pretty good, others sounded like pure filler. An average album IMO although it is nice hearing the progression of their guitarists, maybe it'll grow on my once I give it a couple more listens
    jimmy-moto
    Who cares what genre they are. I personally love ATR. This album is a great improvement from Overcome, but not as good as The Fall of Ideals. "Now Let Them Tremble" is my favourite song far. Why doesn't everyone stop whining about Metalcore being dead and just enjoy the music? If it's such a dead genre then why are there 7 reviews posted?
    rjc18040
    this album is sick. It is new but at the same time, they went back to their roots with a few tracks. It is a well rounded album and great job ATR
    Rockinguitar
    I didn't think "Overcome" was that bad. Chiron is still my fight/life song and Two Weeks is the song tat helped me find them!
    xlog
    This album isnt good at all. I love this band, they are awesome, I really love them, but this album is a disappointment the only song that I kept in my library is For We Are Many, wich is a really good song wich a catchy chorus. The rest of the album is simply bad
    BloodRedSkies
    yeah the metalcore fad is dying thank god, fortunately the bands that are still kicking are the ones worth listening to... nature will always find a way :V
    theoldwizard
    They lost the fire they had in The Fall of Ideals and their earlier albums. Oli Herbert is constantly getting better, (not like he was never great before), but the rest of the band hasn't. I can't believe they disappointed me again. I used to love ATR, now, not so much :/
    millarso
    I find this album pretty average in comparison with the Fall of Ideals as well. I like Adam D's production but there were times that their songs sounded almost too similar to new As I Lay Dying stuff which he also produced. And seriously, metalcore is a genre of music. A music genre can't "die". That is a ridiculous concept. Ska is "dead" but there are still tons of people that love it. But good for you people for growing into bigger and better kinds of music. I guess us degenerate metalcore fans are just going to hang back in the Stone Age. I'm not big into black and death metal, but you don't hear me whining about it.
    Snowman388
    @other reviewers: It's kind of ridiculous that they waited until UG wrote their own review to release ours. AND they featured it. Sucky review anyway.
    benf199105
    it's a good album, but not a scratch on fall of ideals, i hope they bring back that sound on their next album, whilst i like this album, i started listening to ATR for their heavy riffs, and they are seemingly more devoid than usual in this album, nice to hear some really grindy vocals the whole "MURRRRR" sound which phil does really well was ****ing awesome, but they just need some really heavy chugging riffs in there.
    NaytronA7X
    I agree dude. I'm one of the few that think Overcome was their best album. Sorry but I'm not a fan of constant growling. I'm a fan of music and I thought the production on Overcome was perfect
    iTzMaTT
    Not their best album. It's just a tad more aggressive than Overcome but it still has it's soft spots. It shows how versatile this band can be however they shouldn't stray from the metalcore sound. IMO.
    theoldwizard
    Guitar Skater
    i agree, i got out of it a long time ago
    yearzero
    This band's clean vocals make me throw up in my mouth, which is a shame because they aren't that bad otherwise.
    EpiExplorer
    7 reviews, what the shitty shit.. @.@ Guess this is to make up for yesterday when it didn't get front-paged.
    synestershadows
    crazysam23_Atax
    If I were ATR, I'd leave the metalcore racket. Like KSE, who were around playing their same style before all this shit was dubbed "Metalcore". (I find it kind of ironic that KSE is even thrown in there by "core" kids and idiot media types, as they're very little use of breakdowns on any KSE material.) "Core" genres are basically going out the window. And good-fu cking-riddance!
    Snowman388
    When did you guys post your reviews? I posted it on the 13th, but they held it back a week.
    Eurasian_C
    theflyingapple wrote: Solid album. But Phil should really stop singing. It doesn't suit the ATR style and he's obviously not very good at it. If you watch the live videos, he can't hit high notes and sometimes doesnt sing them cuz he cant. On the records, the clean vocals are over produced and doesnt sound very good as well. Don't get me wrong, his screaming is phenomenal. Just not his singing...
    Phil can sing his ass off, but I feel like his written melodies are a bit unusual. I mean while they're different (and that's a good thing), for me they take some getting used to. But I have to say, "The Waiting One" might just be my favorite track on this album, and I'm a This Darkened Heart/The Fall of Ideals fan. It's the perfect contrast and an awesome way to end the album.
    snakesson
    Just like Slayer was inspired by Metallica's early thrash, these guys should go out and buy a decent CD and think about the metalcore they are putting out. Nothing new.
    Phoenix322
    synestershadows wrote: AILD is definitely not "bringing it." They're the most overrated and generic metalcore band in existence.
    AILD is generic, but ATR is much much much more so.
    LivingFetus
    Snowman388, I very much disagree with your statement about Overcome being like Metallica's St. Anger. I like Overcome a lot, St. Anger was astronomically shitty, Overcome was just a little softer. Nowhere near the shit-transition that Metallica made. Just an opinion.
    TheAbsentOne
    I absolutely love this album. It feels like the perfect blend of The Fall of Ideals and Overcome. I don't know why so many people have a problem with the melodic bits in Overcome, I thought that was a large step forward for ATR.. But to each their own I guess. There's not a song on this album I don't enjoy, as has been the case with every ATR album since This Darkened Heart. I agree they'll never surpass The Fall of Ideals, but it's the age-old case of everyone comparing a bands new material to their best album.. It will never compare. I feel it should just be looked at as an individual album, not compared to another, because this album is incredible in it's own right.
    Patrijz
    BwareDWare94 wrote: synestershadows wrote: theoldwizard wrote: This has been a slew of shitty metalcore releases recently: ATR, Parkway Drive, and KSE's from last year. The only metalcore giant that is still bringing it is definitely As I Lay Dying AILD is definitely not "bringing it." They're the most overrated and generic metalcore band in existence. Says the guy named synestershadows? LOL Oh, and Killswitch died when they decided to re-release The End of Heartache but title it As Daylight Dies. They tried it once more with the self-titled album. Still didn't work. For the record, Oli Herbert is basically Mark Tremonti when he's playing for Creed. He's the musician who stands out. Also, As I Lay Dying are definitely "bringing" it. Most of all, when discussing good metalcore bands, it is foolish to forget about Unearth...
    I'm totally with you..! QFT!
    theflyingapple
    Scarf'd Up
    Huh, so they came out with another album. I'll have to check into that. I myself enjoy The Fall of Ideals the best, out of the first four. Overcome was, eh, I dunno. Just didn't appeal to me. I hope For We Are Many is better.
    Gary.Blizzard
    Lol. Posted mine almost a week ago. It seems everyone who wrote one are the only ones interested in it. Whatev.