Behind Silence And Solitude review by All That Remains

• Released: Mar 26, 2002
All That Remains: Behind Silence And Solitude

This is pure melodic death metal, there's no metalcore crap combine with it. This is more of an tight heart pounding sounding. In this album the band uses many different kind of "melodic" elements in it, such as combination of melody progression and dual harmonies. I can hear different type of melodic death metal usage, for example the pure melody of old-school In Flames and Dark Tranquility, the lightning speed of the titans Arch Enemy and Soilwork, and the heavy rage of the legendary Carcass and At The Gates. You will notice pretty much all melodic death metal band uses Iron Maiden style guitar harmonies, and the band do that as well, also you'll hear some technical feel to it. This album conveys the melodic death metal feel to their sounding. I'm mean both melodic death metal and metalcore stuff get's tiring and boring sometimes because it usually sounds the same and it's a lack of originality.

The lyrics is typical in this genre, basically it talks about different kind of struggles, but mostly it talks about personal struggles. Also the band talks about personal relationships as well. Phil's vocal in this album is way more harsh than clean. The vocal is traditionally screamed, growled, and shouted in this album, which is often heard in melodic death metal genre. I will tell you again, the vocal kind of gets tiring, because sometimes it wouldn't start of or end it strong in certain parts of songs. The funny thing is, Phil's vocal in this album reminds me of Max Cavarela because the way how the vocal sounds.

I like how the album is not mixed in with metalcore in anways and how it's pure melodic death metal, the only thing that disappointed some of the tempo some of the songs bored me, like I said before about starting off the song strong and ending the song strong. This I have to say is All That Remains most outstanding ever released. I think the album This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals bored the heck out of me, those albums lean more on the metalcore side and plus when they try making something heavy, it sounds too The Black Dahlia Murder-ish. All That Remains are one of the few bands that can play melodic death metal really well in North America along with bands like Serberus and Thine Eyes Bleed. Usually Canadians are good at making melodic death metal, bands like Excurses and Beyond Within were successful of playing that genre. If this album gets stolen or lost, it wouldn't be that big of deal for me, I can easily download and find the songs from the album.

Minivirus2
    JoeSmoeKicksBut wrote: I can't for their new album Overcome to come out on 9/16/08, it's going to have a lot tighter sound to it, I heard their two songs "Before the Damned" and "Relinquish" both really good songs. I agree on This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals to be boring, well I do think This Darkened Heart is decent but it's still mediocre, but The Fall of Ideals did bored the hell out of me, but it's not like terrible or anything, it's just not that impressive. Just Behind Silence and Solitude brings me back to old school Swedish melodic death metal scene.
    In retrospect you're probably kicking yourself now. The two you mentioned from Overcome are really the only good songs. The singles were decent, at best.
    JoeSmoeKicksBut
    JoeSmoeKicksBut
    GothenburgFire
    JoeSmoeKicksBut wrote: All That Remains are one of the few bands that can play melodic death metal really well in North America along with bands like Serberus and Thine Eyes Bleed. Usually Canadians are good at making melodic death metal, bands like Excurses and Beyond Within were successful of playing that genre. True, Excurses and Beyond Within are both good bands. And the Canadians are really good at making melodic death metal, Too bad Excurses isn't around anymore. Serberus and Thine Eyes Bleed on the other hand are also pretty good, and they match All That Remains, those three bands are pretty decent at playing melodic death metal. Also Into Eternity is good Canadian progressive/melodic death metal band, they're are very talented.
    For my mistake, Thine Eyes Bleed is Canadians. But yea Canadian Melodic Death Metal owns, Beyond Within, Excurses, and Thine Eyes Bleed are freakin good. Enforsaken is good Melodic Death Metal band in the U.S they are from Chicago, and as for Serberus they are batter because their sounds mre tight and it's sounds Carcass influenced in some of their songs, All That Remains is decent at making Melodic Death Metal. Now All That Remains is just one of those typical Metalcore bands today.