Overcome review by All That Remains

• Released: Sep 16, 2008
All That Remains: Overcome

Ok so I've been waiting for this album for almost a year, waiting for some sort of sign of new material since the announcement of this album came about. Now that I have it let me tell you this album is not at all disapointing whether your an ATR fan or not. The album starts with a barrage of thrashing guitars and drums that pale in comparison to the last three albums thanks to the addition of Jason Costa. The vocals have a feel of ease at the same time as being the blood curdling screams that we're used to as Phil Labonte. the solo's are all short but sweet and well shared between oli herbert and mike martin, and fluently accented by flawless jeanne sagann's bass work. The first half of the album comes to a close with a break in the thrashing with "A Song for the Hopeless" leading in with acoustic guitar and clean vocals, and then barraging back in for about 45 seconds until the first second solo before the second verse then the thrashing begins again in this truly unique halfway point in the album. I am listeneing to it right now and I still can't believe how organized yet amazing this album is, a full 39 minutes of utter east coast talent!

What makes this album different is the use of clean and screaming at the same time in many spots on this album. The clean vocals in chiron are done in such a way that phil labonte makes it sound like he's using both spectrum's of his voice at the same time, which is brilliant and adds life to the songs. bu don't take what you've just read wrong, the Blood curdling screams still happen by themselves, "relinquished" puts you in a place as "become the catalyst" did for fall of ideals. Phil's vocals sound well thought over and placed on this album, a step in the right direction if you ask me. But What specifically sets this vocalist away from others of his genre is the fact that whatever type of vocal he submit's you can always hear virtually every word he says which makes listening to this music more like a AH HA! than a HUH?

Now the last thing I want to point out is the reason why I've been waiting for this album since the Track list was released. The Cover Of Nevermore's Believe In Nothing. My favorite nevermore song os displayed in a perfection nevermore should be proud of. The song isnt cut up and no parts are skipped, both solo's are in tact and for not using seven strings this band does it and does it well with the best in their abilities and an amazing respect for a legendary metal pioneering band. This album is a lot more organized as I said before. A bit more than "fall of ideals", a lot more than "this darkened heart" and well you know where I'm goin with that. The band picked two really amazing songs for their first two singles: Chiron is amazing with it's brutal feel combined with it's driving force and two weeks is a song that you can't keep still to thanks to perfected combination of drums and guitars complimenting each other. I love this band and everything about this album. Buy this album at all cost!