Overcome review by All That Remains

• Released: Sep 16, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
All That Remains: Overcome

I'll get right to the point. This album sounds much like their last effort, The Fall of Ideals. There is much crazy guitar riffs and fast, pounding drums to be heard on Overcome. The guitars sound tighter and slightly more technical and the drums are still fast and in your face. There's even the occasional acoustic guitar interlude (Chiron). This time around, though, some of the guitar melodies don't seem as memorable as the ones from the last album. The only important thing ATL skimped on as far as the sound is concerned is the bass. Jeanne's bass lines were almost unheard in TFoI and it's the same case with this album. Overall, Perhaps it's because the dynamics of the band's sound and song structure haven't changed much that Jeanne's bass doesn't shine through. I'd say their sound hasn't changed significantly from the last album.

Lyrically, this album doesn't try very hard. It's the same old themes that is so common in metalcore: struggles, pain, etc. But with the cliche album title "Overcome" what would you expect? The singing isn't too original either. It's your standard screaming verses and melodic choruses. This time however it sounds like they took this formula to extremes. Vocally, the verses are heavier and the choruses are more melodic than ever. A couple songs break the formula by using clean vocals for the whole song or the majority of it (Two Weeks, Believe in Nothing) but the album as a whole still relies on that formula. My biggest gripe with the singing is that it is over-produced. Most of the songs are so layered with vocals it makes Phil sound so fake, which is a shame because their past efforts really show off how great and talented he really is.

Overcome is a decent album and is bound to satisfy most of those who fell in love with TFoI, but some may be left disgruntled by the fact that ATR haven't progressed their sound very much, if at all. I would go as far as to say this album is essentially TFoI part 2. Best songs on the album? I struggled with that question when I first listened to TFoI because almost every songs was memorable but now I struggle finding my favorite songs on this album, but for the opposite reason. As melodic and heavy as Overcome is, it doesn't have the memorable moments that their other albums did. Overall Overcome relies on the same bag of tricks that are so common in metalcore. It's not bad, but not great either.

Yngwi3
    Rob the Tipton wrote: Not so happy with the vocals at all. The guitars are great, however I miss the old vox. Therefore the absence of the old vox just turns me off
    Same. Vox are waay too overproduced, too many layers e.t.c It's a good album, but just a scratch on The Fall Of Ideals.
    handbanana78
    ellessdee wrote: im not toofamiliar with these guys so this is the first album i have from them. i really tried to enjoy it, and i did the first go around. the guitars and the drums are impressive. you can tell they have a good feel for eachother. BUT phil labonte is an idiot. the vocals are so average its amazing. you can tell this idiot has tribal tattoos. i dont know if he does or not, but hes so gay it sounds like he does. these guys suffer from Bleeding Through syndrome. siiiiick musicians, but an idiot frontman.
    bleeding trhough syndroe..nice lol
    SylvaShredder
    What the hell ellessdee? Phil Labonte is an amazing vocalist, there's so much variety in him. Quit being a shallow prick. Thanks
    NickoAbate
    It's different from the other stuff. WAY DIFFERENT. But it still isn't better that Fall of Ideals in my opinion. Still a great album from an amazing band!
    Inferno11
    Fall of Ideals was a more memorable album in my opinion but I think I actually enjoy Overcome more. Great work from ATR when it seems more and more crappy albums have been coming out from well established bands.
    TFK_62
    As soon as I get to a music store, I'm gonna pay whatever price they have on this, even if it doesn't top Fall Of Ideals, well not many albums can, so...
    xXChimairaXx
    since this darkened heart is my favorite song, i was surprised when i heard this album. a lot heavier on some songs, then soft as hell on some others. they still sound amazing, and herbert still shreds.
    Zertuche
    As an enormous ATR fan I have to say the sound production on this album is horrible and the layered vocals are a tad annoying. Other than that this is a solid album!
    stevoelsupremo
    oh god this CD is Garbage! its all him jsut singing with normal vocals half the time, its not as pwerful, as aggressive as darkened heart or fall of ideals. Im goin to see them in november and I better nto have to listen to this rubbish the whole time. I miss the hardcore yelling and aggression that I saw in songs like the air that I breathe and become the catalyst.. not this.. tisk tisk tisk ATR
    metal worshiper
    CrazyPigeon wrote: Wasn't a bad album, I was rather disappointed in the lack of screaming though, The Fall Of Ideals and This Darkened Heart were brutal, whereas this far too melodic.
    the album is 70% screaming and 30% clean. This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals also have clean vocals in ther songs, especially in the chorus. It does feel a little different but the concept is there and its simple to adhere.
    Neverhead666
    These guys should be ashamed themselves, covering a Nevermore song, especially one off of an album as epic as Dead Heart In A Dead World. These guys can never amount up to Jeff Loomis and Warrel Dane. Decent cover though I suppose. Anyways, back to this album. It's pretty damned good. I was really iffy about picking this up, since I have a bit of a grudge against Phil. His vocal work when he was with Shadows Fall was horrible. The earliest SF albums were almost as bad as listening to an Aiden album. Not too much all the instruments on those albums sucked too. Anyways, I have strayed from the topic at hands again. The guitars in this album are very high quality, even if the record's sound quality isn't up to that standard. The vocals are ok, Phil's voice sounds different, but that doesn't necessarily mean thats good. I cant decide whether or not the new vocal style is working, but it sounds good with the musical flow, so it's got something done right I suppose. Drums are awesome. It was definitely worth buying. I may not be so skeptical about the next album. But I'm sure Into Eternity's new album will be better. Keep stirring the good of the great metal chalice you guys.
    Pho3niXnz
    Not sure if this is out in NZ yet but by some of the reviews i'm thinking i'll just stick with The Fall of Ideals until a better one comes out.
    Rob the Tipton
    metaldud536
    metal2thebone wrote: I think it's an awesome CD. My thing is this: You cant constant screaming and blast beats all the time. Doing Something different is what makes it interesting to me.
    Except that this isn't anything new for the band.
    CrazyPigeon
    wokandmurrys
    all that remains are awesome. i haven't heard the new stuff, so ill i cant comment on that, but yeah. woooo
    Bkennedy88
    I think the change for them works; they are, like most other good bands, trying to destroy the negative connotations that metalcore recieves for being to much of a uniformed genre.
    gab4554
    I didnt listen to the whole album but from what ive seen im not impressed.. the others were way better.
    SynGates7X
    This is my favorite album from them to date. I liked the production on FOI a lot more, and Overcome is a little short, but beyond that I love it.
    Afi_rocker_91
    I like this album. Its pretty Raw IMO. I love the singing and screamin, though FOI is still my favorite. But non the less i love this album right here. Im glad they changed it up a little bit too. Id rather my favorite band come out with a cd thats completely different then to come out with a cd thats exactly the same
    kaizerkhan13
    amazing album. ATR never fails. and i guess no one could her the bass in Not Alone except me, cuz i thought the intro was pretty sick.
    Bard_of_all
    Some good stuff in this album. I like how they have a different sound and haven't made it detrimental to thir bands health.
    metal2thebone
    gratefullydead2
    I love this album. My only problem with it is that the vocals are muddied in certain songs. They don't soar over the guitars like they should sometimes
    gibsonlp1
    dude this album is awsome!!! besides, it probably got old for labonte to scream all the time.
    NightEmbers
    I saw these guys yesterday, they we're pretty good but it was kinda hard to groove to their stuff, maybe it was the sound guy but it sounded really muddy at times
    ellessdee