Overcome review by All That Remains

• Released: Sep 16, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
All That Remains: Overcome

Even though I'm not a big ATR fan, their new album 'Overcome' has really surprised me in positive way, it has more melody than previous material, more singing and (little) less more screaming, fast riffs (as always), melodic and short solos, and (again, as always) death metal influenced drums. Great songs like 'Chiron', 'Overcome', 'Undone'. One thing I don't like about All That Remains and this new album is similarity.Concept of every song (and whole album) is the same, opening - verse - melodic chorus - (one more time everything) - solo - chours. In just every song! Although with different riffs and melodies it still sound sometimes boring. The other thing which also isn't good is unevenness (at times), parts of screaming (or verses) and melodic choruses, because at some point Philip Labonte screaming as hard as possible and second later it goes, well, I cannot say too melodic chours, but chours which just isn't right for the song or doesn't sound good in that context. 01. Before the Damned 02. Two Weeks 03. Undone 04. Forever in Your Hands 05. Chiron 06. Days Without 07. A Song for the Hopeless 08. Do Not Obey 09. Relinquish 10. Overcome 11. Believe in Nothing (Nevermore cover)

Most lyrics are very good, especially parts about inner strength, pride, self-determination, and how people should be looking things in positive way.The rest is mostly about struggling with bad things in life.Phil is singing a bit more than usual (which may be little disappointing for 'hardcore' ATR fans), but still this is good change, which makes this album better.

This is the best All That Remains album so far. As I said before, this album has some great parts, like 'Chiron', 'Overcome', 'Undone', and it's better than most of 'current - temporary - metalcore bands'. But despite of all that 'Overcome' is just another average metal album.

Ditachi07
    i've listened to at least half the album, i person like the fall of ideals better but do like this one as well, two weeks is my fav =D
    kyshack
    They shouldn't have gotten rid of Dutkiewicz. That guys a genious.
    headbanger703
    Neverhead666 wrote: These guys should be ashamed themselves, covering a Nevermore song, especially one off of an album as epic as Dead Heart In A Dead World. These guys can never amount up to Jeff Loomis and Warrel Dane. Decent cover though I suppose. Anyways, back to this album. It's pretty damned good. I was really iffy about picking this up, since I have a bit of a grudge against Phil. His vocal work when he was with Shadows Fall was horrible. The earliest SF albums were almost as bad as listening to an Aiden album. Not too much all the instruments on those albums sucked too. Anyways, I have strayed from the topic at hands again. The guitars in this album are very high quality, even if the record's sound quality isn't up to that standard. The vocals are ok, Phil's voice sounds different, but that doesn't necessarily mean thats good. I cant decide whether or not the new vocal style is working, but it sounds good with the musical flow, so it's got something done right I suppose. Drums are awesome. It was definitely worth buying. I may not be so skeptical about the next album. But I'm sure Into Eternity's new album will be better. Keep stirring the good of the great metal chalice you guys.
    How can you still hold a grudge against him for that!? that was soooo long ago! that was seriously like 10 years ago. get over it. ever since he has worked in All That Remians he has grown as a vocalist dramatically I prefered the fall of ideals (its pretty much unbeatable) but this is still a great album. OLI IS A GODDAM BEAST!
    Vectrox
    What the hell happened to the clean vocals on this album? Very weird to hear a pop-band vocal :S.
    insidethehorror
    Good album. Great guitar work. Excellent drums. Decent vocals. Good bass(when you can hear it). Its worth a listen. This Darkened Heart is better.
    Phoenix322
    No such thing as "truth" when it comes to opinion since it's just that...an opinion. I personally don't like the new album at all. Other may love it. YouTube some of the songs and have a listen and decide for yourself whether or not you want to buy the album.
    Eurasian_C
    His scream is his own scream; it's not necessarily a different style than what we heard in This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals. However the vocals are so damn over produced that it really does lack the natural brutality that was the past two albums. Personally I think The Fall of Ideals had the most unique range of songwriting for the band. I don't deny the traditional way of songwriting's effectiveness, but I personally go for riff-for-riff untraditional writing. This album is kind of disappointing because instead of doing something "different", they push out more of the same mainstream metal that we hear today. Especially with "Two Weeks." Holy crap I hate that song. It's not even the lyrical content, it's the deliverance of the lines. It just sounds so damn poppy. This song should've been canned in my opinion. There's too much to say about this album with me. But basically with the past two CD's, I've been able to listen to the albums fully without any trouble or having to skip a track. Now it's like there's hardly anything I like!!
    piratefdu
    gratefullydead2 wrote: I love this album. My only problem with it is that the vocals are muddied in certain songs. They don't soar over the guitars like they should sometimes
    I gotta agree with that, and they also sound too digital/overproduced. There's more clean singing in this album but the singing isnt as catch as the last album. the more i listen to this album the more i think its very solid tho, the guitar work is extremely tight.
    deathnotes
    The vocals were way too over worked. Too much extra echo and overdubbing. Phil's clean vocals on fall of ideals were much better. the only time he actually sings with no extra sound thrown in is on A Song For The Hopeless(which kicks ass).
    rhyme2zone
    this was the first album of all that remains id ever heard and i am impressed the guitars are my favorite part. nice shredding and soloing. the vocals are ok, stand out on some songs tho. The drums are amazing. if your into bfmv or trivium buy this album
    Styx
    Chiron and Before The damned are the best songs the rest are meh... They could have done better, Fall of Ideals is their best by far.
    The Hooded One
    kaizerkhan13 wrote: and i guess no one could her the bass in Not Alone except me, cuz i thought the intro was pretty sick.
    oh i actualy hear it now, when i read that i was like what bass? but i can hear it now, i think the bass needs to be at least a bit louder
    SOUPerman432321
    The songs are good, but THE PRODUCTION QUALITY BLOWS!!!! wheres adam d?.... thats not acceptable for a fourth studio album.
    Eurasian_C
    Revenger#11
    The guitar work is amazing and i like the vocals still even though it's lost the heaviness of TFOI it's melodic as ever. which is a good thing for me at least but TFOI was probably better