The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

I picked this CD up at a local entertainment store figuring on another good metalcore album, what I got was one of the best metalcore albums I've ever heard and certainly the best one this year. I don't know how it compares to "This Darkened Heart" but I do know that this CD is special. The drumming has some of the quickest double bass beats I've heard and has something other bands should use, blast beats. The guitars are insane as usual for a metalcore/NWAHM album and almost every song has a solo in it, a technically impressive solo at that, not some thrown together crap. The bass playing is hard to hear and that needs to be improved on in later albums. Summed up simply the sound is intense, punishing, and seriously impressive. Plus, they're adding some prog overtones in a couple of songs.

Phil Labonte is a very skilled vocalist and one of the best in metalcore today, period. One thing I apologize for not knowing is if he recorded the melodic parts on the album which are mainly choruses. These are possibly the hookiest and most impressive choruses I've heard in metal. Very similiar to As I Lay Dying and some Killswitch Engage. Lyrics are again something I'm not good at reading into so I'm gonna give him credit for a great delivery and style. Several songs also contain a wide variety of screams, growls, and melodies.

I purchased this CD and Fear Factory's "Archetype" at the same time, and I've listened to this CD more than FF's by a long shot. It's that impressive. The first track "The Calling" is so far the best song with several others in very close 2nd. I'd definitely buy this again without a second thought if it was lost or stolen.

nothingface187
    Dude this album is so FUCKEN sick, I can't stop listening to it, I can't say it's better than "This Darken Heart" because i love that album so much, but it certainly rivals that album. All That Remains is one of my favorite bands of all time, Also I recommend this album in an alternative to Shadows Fall.
    goon316
    This album is absolutely amazing and agree with you a 100%. Everything rocks from the vocals to the drums to the awesome guitar rythms and solos. I cant wait until someone gets a tab for the Not Alone solo, its sooooo sick.
    sockboy
    I think this album has more in common with modern thrash than classic metalcore. Bands like Trivium have raised the bar with what a band has to do these days, and that is good for metal in general as bands like All that remains have worked so hard to create something as technical and melodic as this record. I think you will find bands are now competing to create the 'definitive' modern metal albim....this of course is great news for us fans.
    d_byrne23
    Adam from Killswitch produced it...sounds very killswitch like...I do like the album..
    MHanky
    you must not listen to metal if you think it has "some of the quickest double bass beats" this album is decent, but nothing special. if you want to hear an even better singer and a heavier band, pick up Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
    siam
    this album is one of the best, played, produced and written of any current metal band. my only critiscism is that the whole album seems to be striving for the one goal, every song having similar structures, lengths, solos and lyrical themes. that said, despite a lack of creative diversity, its one of strongest metal efforts in recent years.
    LedZeppelin
    Not as good as TDH. Way too many clean choruses, but the songwriting and musicianship makes it much better.