The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

"The Fall Of Ideals," ooh I'm listening to it right now! I picked this up with my buddy, James, two days ago. I would have to say that this is possibly the most dynamic and musically enthralling metalcore CD I have purchased since Killswitch Engage's "The End of Heartache. I still remember my reaction when I got the leak for "This Calling;" I was absolutely floored. The guitars definitely got a lot heavier, the drumming is absolutely insane, and Phil's vocals are soaring and dynamic. From "This Darkened Heart" to "The Fall of Ideals" is like night and day. The sound has become a lot more mature and refined since the last record; everything has changed for the better. I'd say the only thing that didn't change in this effort is that the mighty Adam Dutkiewicz produced it.

As a vocalist, I feel that the lyrics have to truly fit the mood of the music. Phil's lyrics are possibly some of the best I've read since Killswitch's. They allow people to relate to them; they are not too obscure or metaphorical. For instance, "Six" is about memories of a former lover. "Indictment," in my opinion, is a blow towards the Al Quaeda beliefs ("My eyes have seen the horrors that you committ in the name of your god.")What I like about Phil is that his vocals are very audible most of the time; I am able to hear and understand the message that he's trying to put out. As I said before, Phil has greatly improved since "This Darkened Heart." Almost every song has a sung part, and he would just hit those parts right out of the park! He has a great, melodic singing voice that can just hit you like waves of water. There is passion in what he sings, and he truly portrays it. His extreme vocals have definitely improved since "This Darkened Heart." There are a lot more growls and "cookie monster" vocals (as he likes to call them), as well as his high pitched screams, which he absolutely nailed. The songs that would probably define his improvement would be "This Calling" and "Whispers (I Hear You)." Big props to Phil on his awesome effort!

"The Fall of Ideals" is definitely the best metalcore CD you can get now. This doesn't even compare with my former favorite, Killswitch Engage's "The End Of Heartache." I loved every song on this CD; there is no favorite of mine. Each song has its own flare and drive to it. If you are a hardcore/metal/metalcore junky, then you must have this; you will truly be blown away.

sk8ero131
    dude why would u post on a review about all that remains to talk shit about Trivium?
    MHanky
    mark123 wrote: I was downloading a few all that remains songs to try them out, but then i read your post and decided to see if they were any good. After hearing the illusionist and mind machine ..... f*#& atr at the moment I need to hear more of Scar Symmetry.
    hell ya man. scar symmetry slay. they need to come to america, but that probably wont happen for a few years. theyre not big at all, but they should be
    IronMaiden8991
    This album is absolutely amazing. Phil Labonte's got one hell of a voice. I bought this album and Trivium's "The Crusade" at the same time, and this album kix "The Crusade's" ass. My favorite songs off of this album would have to be "This Calling," "Become the Catalyst," and "The Air That I Breathe," but all of them are pretty damn good.
    StuartR
    Haha, are you serious? Ok, I'll stick them on right after I listen to Cryptopsy, Obituary & Regurgitated... Idiot.
    AngryGuitarist
    StuartR wrote: Trivium didn't raise any bar, they help make Metalcore a joke in the eyes of everyone.
    go listen to some fall out boy
    darkseason
    This album is dissapointing on many levels. What made "this darkened heart" a good album was that it was all types of metal, not just "metalcore". Yeah the drums are pretty fast, but that doesn't mean they're good. The vocals are so over the top with effects that it sounds almost silly in parts. Their last album was great and set them apart as a unique metal band. This one seems like they tried to hard to be like all the other "metalcore" type bands out there, which makes them bland. I'm not denying that there are some good songs on the album, but the album as a whole is unmemorable. I wish them luck in the future and hopefully they can figure out who they are as band and not TRY to be a certain kind of band. I'm not saying that they are posers or anything like that, but it definately sounds a little more forced than their last album.
    kunvulshuns
    I like the overall sound of the band, but the lyrics don't do it for me. They can be too whiny or corny. Boo for bad lyrics. Yay for good music.
    macbeth1234
    i love this album. it think that they have progressed alot. The singing, screamin, growls are amazing. I love how they do all three in this album. The doulbe kick is sick, i love it. it reminds me alot of as i lay dyings double kick. i find that they have gone more mainstream in this album which is not bad they deserve to get noticed. i do find that the album is repeditive, and that i can clearly hears "signal" in alot of songs. but all in all i love this album
    Tobias_Crane
    yea i listened to scar symmetry and theyre pretty good but deffinitly not better than ATR. but not a bad band at all. ATR is deffinitly the best all around metal band out right now.
    elgranmapache
    Maybe it has not the quickest double bass drum hits in metal. But the intro for This Calling is at 216 bpm which I think is a bit more than 14 bass drum hits per second. I think we all agree thats REALLY fast
    universal_man
    is this bamd r black metal...? i dont think so... however,'this calling' song really awesome
    Hellraizer31990
    scar symmetry is pretty good but all that remains is better...all that reamains new album is awesome very good guitar vocals and songwriteing i can listen to it over and over
    StuartR
    mark123
    MHanky wrote: you must not listen to metal if you think it has "some of the quickest double bass beats" this album is decent, but nothing special. if you want to hear an even better singer and a heavier band, pick up Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
    \m/ jamie \m/
    they are not black metal. They have elements of black and death metal in their music. eg. Blast beating, cookie monster vocals (growls) etc. The weak willed is fairly death metal to me. But no full songs really stand out as being black metal to my ears.. I like all that remains alot, they incorperate alot into their music. esp the vocals. Clean singing, Aggressive singing, Low screams, High screams, Growls... its pretty awsome. BUt I agree woth siam, its sorta sad how all the songs are around 30. That gets boring after a while
    goodhardcore
    i love the fact that even though the music seems a little dark the lyrics are so positive. kinda like KSE - even thought KSE sux in comparison. I would say this is the most addictive cd I've bought n a long time!!!