The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

The overall sound is just great! Though it sounds similar to othe bands on the Boston metalcore scene (Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Unearth), it packs wiz bang harmony solos, relentless riffing, and some of the greatest vocals in metal. Labonte's deep death metal growls and high pitched screams, along with his modern rocksque chourus are the perfect balance of beautiful and brutal. Now, I can't leave out the powerhouse drumming of Shannon Lucas (who left shortly after the release). His powerful, triple time beats is what adds the power to the chourus of "This Calling."

The lyrics are the overall state of metal. Gloomy and full of hatred. With songs about past relationships, war, and failure, Labonte's lyrics resemble somewhat of Howard Jones/Jesse Leach (Killswitch Engage). And, as I stated before, His vocal powerhouse adds brutality and beauty.

This album compares highly to my other favorite metalcore albums in every way. A7X's "Waking The Fallen", As I Lay Dying's "Shadows Are Security", Killswitch Engage "The End Of Heartache", Bullet For My Valentine "The Poison", and Atreyu's "The Curse" all stand highly right next to this album. My favorite songs are "This Calling", "The Air That I Breathe", "Six", and "Become The Catalyst."

what remains
    This is definitely one of the best bands i've ever heard. Their guitar playing is amazing and the lyrics are surprisingly good for a band in this genre.
    Mortamar Kahn
    Really...who cares whether it's metalcore, black metal, or ****in polka death metal? People have a hard-on for trying to distinguish what's metal and what's not. It's a good album with catchy vocals and some good solos thrown in. I like it...he almost became the KsE vocalist but got beat out last minute by Howard...overall a good album
    BdFlyDawg
    sockboy wrote: I think this album has more in common with modern thrash than classic metalcore. Bands like Trivium have raised the bar with what a band has to do these days, and that is good for metal in general as bands like All that remains have worked so hard to create something as technical and melodic as this record. I think you will find bands are now competing to create the 'definitive' modern metal albim....this of course is great news for us fans.
    people need to realize nobody likes trivium... all that remains destroys them so bad.. this is easily one of the best cd's i have ever heard in my life.. i love this cd and this band 500/10
    headbanger703
    ATR is by far my favorite band of all time and this album has changed my life (musically). They had better not commercialize and start sucking like Trivium