The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

Perhaps one of the greatest CDs this year, All That Remains kicked ass with the Fall of Ideals. Phil Labonte's vocal style redefines metalcore vocals. From his deep growl to his high screetch and his "cookie monster" vocals to his melodic singing, he is one of the best singer on the scene today. Oli Herbert and Mike Martin's dual guitars are so amazing on this record. It's been a while since I've heard such tight rythms and melodic solos on a metalcore album. Let's of course not forget the amazing drumming of Mike Bartlett (not Shannon Lucas as everyone keeps thinking, watch the video for This Calling, It's not Lucas). Though replaced shortly after the recording of this record by Shannon Lucas and subsequently Jason Costa, there are some amazing blasts beats and drum lines. This record showcases some of the greatest, fastest, and most creative use of double bass I have ever heard. The only issue I have is that the bass of Jeanne Sagan is rarely heard. Other than that, pure amazing.

Phil's lyrics bring the album to an entire new level. They fit each song perfectly. The various themes brought into play such as loss, hate, heartache, and war attack each song with new intensity. Again, Phil has one of the greatest set of vocal cords in the metalcore scene today. Had All That Remains had a different frontman, I'm not sure they would be the same.

Compared to other metalcore albums that I own, such as Killswitch Engage's The End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies as well as stuff from Shadows Fall and Lamb Of God, it ranks high. It gets regular play on my computer and Ipod. Some of the best tracks include "This Calling", "The Air That I Breathe", "Become The Catalyst", "Not Alone", and "We Stand". I recommend all of the songs however. Again, I disliked the general lack of bass, but the vocals, guitars, and drumming make up for it. Should it get stolen or lost and deleted from my computer, I would absolutly buy it again.

LD_Luke D
    easially one of the best new metal bands, the guitarwork is great in this album, better than a darkened heart by a lot.