The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

Despite how much I love this album, I will admit that it isn't unique. I feel as if it has all been done before by bands such as Killswitch Engage. Although, I do prefer All that remains. I got into this band by stealing (well, lets just say borrowing) my friend's mp3 player, and after hearing 'Six' and 'The Air That I Breathe', I was hooked. Later, I bought the album and was quickly sucked into almost every one of their songs. With some metal bands, I find that it takes a while to get into their material, but with All That Remains, I got into over half the album after a first listen to it. I think that the message behind this album is mainly hatred towards a relationship/partener. Maybe they've been messed about and forced into hating someone they have loved, yet still having feelings towards this person. Maybe not, but that's only my opinion. I like the fast picking guitar and being a guitarist myself, notice that they are only simple riffs, made to sound incredible. Like a modern version of Metallica but not as boringly long. I think this album differs from other metal bands in a way that their tracks are only 3.40ish. Unlike some bands who have pointlessly long songs. The songs are short, snappy and fast going. Every second of the song is great; hitting you like an atom bomb.

One thing I can say I truely love about this album is the screaming, yes screaming from the singer. A perfect example of his awesome screaming voice would be the intro to "Six", as he screams "Yeeeeaoowwww! I wish I was free of this". This has to be my favourite line screamed in my entire itunes libary. He also projects his voice in lots of different ways, from death metal screaming, to pop-like choruses (Like Trivium) with also the typical metal screaming he uses for the verse. In almost every line sung, he switches to either one of these voices, keeping the song enjoyable and unique. The lyrics are well written and complex, which can be good and bad, but I like it. They sing of hatred towards loved ones, something I think almost everyone could relate back to in some point of their life. The lyrics fit the music beautifully, the dark sounding heavy lyrics mixed with the fast and violent guitar thrusting and drumming beats. "I am not empty inside, though I long to make this right", I think this is one of my favourite lyrics of the entire album, the way he screams it also amazes me!

I have not yet heard All That Remains' previous album but I will purchase it soon. I think All That Remains are just a typical metal band like Lamb of God, Trivium and Killswitch Engage leading them to be seen possibly as un-original, yes I do agree, but it is still great music. Most impressive songs on the album are definately "Six", "Not alone", "The Calling", and "Empty Inside", however, I am a huge fan of all the tracks on this album. I love this album because being a metal fan for a long time, things change so much with everyone trying to be more original and creative. But with the 'fall of ideals', I can sit down, and just listen to a typical but perfect metal album, which I love. If it was stolen, I would violently assult the person who had taken it. hehe. I also recommend listening to the solo for "Empty inside", the pinch harmony at 1.45 is the best I have ever had the honour to hear. If you are a fan of Trivium or Killswitch Engage, buy this album, now.

Give_em Hell
    jj3501 wrote: i hate this band, i've listened to the album and it's just another boring generic metalcore album. the crusade kicks this thing's ass by a long shot.
    you have shitty taste
    Alpha_Wolf
    I really like this album. Lyrically, has anyone else noticed how often they say "I will not," and "I am not"? Lol.
    black_coffin
    LD_Luke D wrote: easially one of the best new metal bands, the guitarwork is great in this album, better than a darkened heart by a lot.
    wgeb you say new metal bands... be careful hoe you put it because people might take it the wrong way and youll get bagged out because they are metalcore/melodic death metal not nu metal on the other hand this album is the best ive heard. no low point. all high's. oh btw whoever said the drummer wasnt shannan lucas well youre wrong it was lucas and hes a ****ing kick ass drummer. oli herbert and mike martin are oneof the most underrated guitarists in metal. jeane segal is a great bass chick and as for phil he kicks ass one of the best singer/song writers in the metal industry today. howard os KsE has made them more mainstream then underground. this album was the best it kicks some serious ass. trivium are good in their own right StuartR, id like to see you get up infront of 20 00 people and shred the guitar while screaming your lungs out (when they were touring for ascendancy) mmm how do you like me now bitch. you go and write a kick ass song and a kick ass album or 2 and become famous for your kick ass metal bands music. yea thought so.