The Fall of Ideals review by All That Remains

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals

The sound of All That Remains CD The Fall Of Ideals is great. To this point, I had never listened to All That Remains and I heard the song "This Calling" on their myspace. I was hooked. I bought the CD and I do not regret it. The Fall of Ideals is such an amazing cd, featuring searing guitars, with each song usually featuring complex and unique solos and killer double bass on the drums. The bass is a little to quite but besides that I have no complaints. The song are aggressive and full of energy. Defiantly an amazing sound.

The vocals are very diverse, as you have anything from the shrilly, high pitched screams, to the death metal growls and chants to the melodic singing. It is all blended together very well and is impressive. The lyrics mostly seem to deal with relationships but they avoid just bitching which is what many of people do. I was impressed though.

Overall, any metal fan should have this cd. I have a huge collection of cd's and this is one of the best ones to grace my collection. One of the best cd's I've heard in a long time, I just wish I would have started listening to these guys sooner. can't wait to listen to the rest of their stuff.

Carltonium
    they do sound similar to killswitch engage, which is probably why the singer for ATR was in 2nd place for getting the vocal spot of killswitch before ATR
    kennydabomb
    i saw these guys live twice. broke 2 of my ribs to their music. they are incredible live. sound exactly like the album. i suggest you go see them. phil can do all the vocals perfectly and has a good stage performance while doing it. oh and be jealous. i met the band!!!!! and one word of advice... oli likes to grab his balls on stage alot.
    DeathByStereo23
    Tobias_Crane wrote: yea i listened to scar symmetry and theyre pretty good but deffinitly not better than ATR. but not a bad band at all. ATR is deffinitly the best all around metal band out right now.
    how can you compare ATR with scar simmetry?
    stumaster18
    Definitely one of the best albums made in the new millenium. This is what metal is all about. I hardly ever rate records 10/10, but for this, I make an exception. Perfection in every way!
    howie21
    THIS ALBUM IS AMAZING!!!! the guitar in this album blows my mind.i still dont know how they do it.
    iplay6string
    cool only heard "six" and "this calling" because wanted to see a review before buying the album now my mind is made up
    Tumble-weed
    I tried to get into this album but the songs were just too repetetive and similar imo. Also, the whiny vocals and lyrics kind of annoyed me.
    The Spoon
    I always thought these guys were metalcore... I find it funny how UG messes up the genre up at the top for reviews. They called The Fall of Troy "trash metal"
    xXChimairaXx
    Shadow914 got it RIGHT. this album is one of a kind. simply amazing. drums and guitar are perfect along with phils vocals. Oli Herbert is amazing. and they're great live too. (Seen them 3 times) Definitely one of the growing monsters of METAL
    Shadow914
    don't listen to any of the idiots that reviewed this and gave it anything less than a ten, this album is far beyond the skills of any of those metalcore bands that run the melodic death metal scene, oli and mike are simply amazing guitarists, phil is one of the greatest singers/growlers, shannon lucas provided, as established, some amazing drumming, you can hear more, listen to black dahlia murder, and jeanne sagan bass is just the icing on the cake, this album is a masterpiece, plain and simple, just like this darkened heart.
    Jdfs1
    MHanky wrote: you must not listen to metal if you think it has "some of the quickest double bass beats" this album is decent, but nothing special. if you want to hear an even better singer and a heavier band, pick up Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
    I disagree with you completely, this has some of the most amazing double bass i have ever heard and i listen to everything from Behemoth to Coheed and Cambria and this is by far the most technical ablbum that has been relased recently, besides some Necrophagist and Cannibal Corpse.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    StuartR wrote: Haha, are you serious? Ok, I'll stick them on right after I listen to Cryptopsy, Obituary & Regurgitated... Idiot.
    agreed.
    IlikeMetal
    If I'm not mistaken Scar Symmetry is MDM, so how the hell can you compare the two on anything other than personal preference? That aside, absolutely great band putting out some killer material. If you want to hear something a little heavier out of them pick up their first album Behind Silence and Solitude, it is absolutely sick (not to mention Shadows Fall's Somber Eyes to the Sky if you want to hear Phil doing some death metal type stuff).