The Order Of Things review by All That Remains

• Released: Feb 24, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
All That Remains: The Order Of Things

All That Remains are one of those bands that still rightfully stick to the 2000's "metalcore" sound, a genre that has had it's definition change over the years, but still pull it off really well. The follow up to 2012's subpar "A War You Cannot Win," "The Order of Things" kind of changes things up for the band not with musical style, but with how Labonte approaches the record with his vocals. The whole time I was mainly focused on his (and the surprisingly wonderful harmonies done by their female bassist Jeanne Sagan) vocals. The first half of the album is almost entirely done with clean vocals (besides the #2 track "No Knock," which is done entirely with screams), making you think this record is almost entirely screamless, but the latter half of the record proves that thinking wrong with some old-school metalcore riffs and breakdowns, and it's honestly the best second-half they've had since "The Fall of Ideals." The band lets out some awesome heavy riffs and breakdowns with Labonte's classic "moos" making a return on a song or two. The riffs by Oli Herbert and Mike Martin are techincal and catchy as hell and Herbert's solos outmatch "AWYCW" by a longshot. This album isn't their heaviest, but it perfectly blends all the technical riffs and harmonic vocals along with some thundering drums and powerful chugging.

The lyrics on this record are mostly relationship based and kind of just straight up awful. I'm not much of a lyric guy myself, as in I don't really care what the lyrics are about as long as it's not devil worshipping or Atilla/BrokenCyde-like, but the lyrics on this album can honestly just be ignored. They're nothing you'll be remembering as I can't think of a single memorable line that didn't stand out as stupid, such as "I'm f--king superman, so come on over and check my plan" and "I'm just a lonely guy drinking alone tonight."

Stand out tracks:

"Pernicilous" - which brings back some good ol' 2000's metalcore feels with nostalgic chugging and some of the record's best riffs.

"Fiat Empire" - it makes you think it's going to be a slow song, but picks up the tempo and gets heavier and heavier and turns into a full-out metalcore riff-fest, and then gets slow again and picks up again. Truly one of their best songs yet.

"Tru Kvlt Metal" - one of the record's heaviest songs with tons of Labonte screams and probably the best solo on the record. Also, "MOOS"!

"Criticism and Self Realization" - a 7:04 epic that has everything you could possibly want in a metalcore song. It's heavy, it's beautiful, has instrumental parts, and a perfect ending to the record.

Trivium's "Vengeance Falls" is a great album to compare this one too, as they both don't have a lot of screaming like usual, but make it up with awesome riffs and terrific singing and screaming when necessary. This album is essentially everything that "AWYCW" should've been, as it truly displays the best of the band's abilities. You can just tell that the band really gave it their all with this record, despite it not being as heavy as some of you would like it to be. The pace of the album is great and the track placement couldn't be better. There's only one true ballad, which is honestly the worst song on the album. It has fantastic riffs, great vocals, awesome musicianship by everyone in the band, and a true production effort. Pick this one up, or give it a listen on Spotify.

ryanlarue3
    The way I see it, bands like ATR, FFDP and even Metallica mature. They go from a pissed off, rowdy, angry sound to more passive, melodic sound. Thing is, FFDP and ATR are still making kick ass music, they're not sell outs either. I can sympathize with some of you disappointed fan though. Bullet For My Valentine USE to be my favorite band until they released Fever. Fever was the turning point, they sold out and sound absolutely horrible now. ATR and FFDP haven't reached those levels yet.