This Darkened Heart review by All That Remains

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
All That Remains: This Darkened Heart

Wow! That's all I can say. This is an awesome album, a joy to behold, it breathes fresh air into a struggling NWOAHM movement, which has a former forerunner of it, KSE, faltering badly. The production is spot on, everything is mixed to perfection. The styke is in a similar vein to Unearth, early KSE, and Shadows Fall etc, and I'm some parts done even better than these peers.

The lyrics here are nothing to be shameful about, and the delivery by Phil Labonte is incredible beyond belief, he compliments the music perfectly, performing all main and backing vocals, even live. He is truly one of the best of his generation. The music is heavy, but not brutal, and the lyrics match this. The title track and Tattered On My Sleeve are very good examples of this.

For me, this is album of the year. Astounding performance from all members, especially Matt Deis, Oli Herbert and Phil Labonte. ATR have proved here that they are at the front of the current metal scene. I have yet to own Behind Silence and Solitude, but if its anything like this, I will go out of my way to own it! My standout songs are Focus Shall Not Fail, Tattered On My Sleeve, The Deepest Gray and Regret Not. It's hard to choose, there are no sub-par songs here. What I love most about this album is the musicianship, Oli Herbert is a stunning guitarist, who you may be lucky enough to get a lesson off if you go and see them i. e. it is possible to arange 1. If this were stolen or lost, there would be no hesitation from me to go buy this album, its just that damn good.