This Darkened Heart review by All That Remains

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
All That Remains: This Darkened Heart

The style of this album was outstanding, and this represents All That Remains at it's best. Oli Herbert's soloing style never ceases to amaze me, and he is very creative in writing songs and riffs, on this album at least. Everything fit together almost perfectly and I definitely recommend this album to metalheads.

Lyrics were quite basic, but not bad; after all, how much can you expect from metalcore? ;) The lyrics fit quite well with the music, however, and this album is Philip Labonte's best vocal performance in my opinion.

In my opinion this is All That Remains' best album, The Fall of Ideals was good but had very boring song structures and got old fast. Then Overcome marked the beginning of their selling-out. The album had many good songs; Passion, I Die in Degrees, Tattered on My Sleeve, For Salvation, Focus Shall Not Fail, and This Darkened Heart were all great tracks, and I feel that this album represents about as much brutality as you can get in metalcore, and is a great example for future metalcore-lovers who want to start a band.

Unholy Crusada
    I seriously think this is their best work to date. Big improvement over their first release, and not as mainstream as Fall of Ideals and later. Regret Not is probably my favorite. When I first heard it I thought, "A metalcore band making an instrumental? With acoustic guitars? NO WAY!!!" LOL
    sc_stanger
    I also agree that this is their best album. For me ...For We Are Many is the closest 2nd. I actually like it more than Fall Of Ideals!! Just the epic...ness of it is unbelievable. It can't match the intensity of This Darkened Heart though. The riffage is unmatchable, and the breakdowns are super badass. I can't get enough of I Die In Degrees and For Salvation I'm also a ATR superfan lol