Dirty Work review by All Time Low

• Released: Jun 7, 2011
All Time Low: Dirty Work

You either love All Time Low, or you love to hate them. Even if you're part of the latter group, there's no denying that "Dirty Work" is one of the most eagerly anticipated rock releases this year. Having seen the studio updates and hear the previews, I was really psyched for the album, and I wasn't disappointed. 01. "Do You Want Me (Dead)?": An impressive opener, which boasts a huge riff and punchy vocals. The song really sets the tone for the album, although some sections feel a little disjointed. 02. "I Feel Like Dancing": I heard a lot of crap about this song, but honestly, it's not that bad. A guilty pleasure from the record. Good, but not great. 03. "Forget About It": A really catchy and high energy tune, whith some nicely placed synths. The spoken word bridge ruins the ending, however. 04. "Guts": Doubtlessly the best song on the album. Killer guitar work and standout vocals make this a must-listen for anyone who's ready to write off this band. 05. "Time Bomb": A catchy tune, if a little underwhelming. The instrumentation leaves a lot to be desired. 06. "Just The Way I'm Not": One of the more poppy songs on the album. The more you listen, the more it grows on you. 07. "Under A Paper Moon": An awesome track. Heavy hitting, and full of lyrics about love and how crummy the world is. Bliss. 08. "Return The Favour": The one thing that ruins this track is that it tries too hard to be mature. The Spanish guitars and pianos attempt to show a more grounded side of the band, but it just falls flat. 09. "No Idea": Another mature sort of track. Doesn't fare as badly as "Return The Favour", but is still just a little bit too tame at its core. 10. "Daydream Away": This acoustic track is hard to bear. It wants to be Remembering Sunday badly, but doesn't have the depth to fill those shoes. 11. "That Girl": This song has no redeeming qualities. Bad lyrics, bad instrumentation. Just awful. 12. "Heroes": This song sounds like a bit of fanservice for those who miss the days of "So Wrong, It's Right". It certainly works, and ends up being one of the best tracks on the album. 13. "Get Down On Your Knees And Tell Me You Love Me": Another guilty pleasure. Not quite in keeping with the tone of the album, but still a good song. 14. "My Only One": Just bad. Plain bad. 15. "Merry Christmas, Kiss My Ass": Nothing special. A listenable track. 16. "Bad Enough For You:" Yet another misfire.

Alex Gaskarth has handled lyrics for the band with reasonable skill, and remains lyricist for the album. There is a notable difference between the style of this album and "Nothing Personal". Gone are the snarky lines about girls, booze and one night stands. Pretty much every song in the album is about love, something which really annoys me. Are there really no other topics? His singing on this album is stellar. His range is immense, and he hits every single note with searing emotion.

If you're one of those people who hate All Time Low for becoming "poppier", or are worried that that's what's happening, then this is when you jump off the bandwagon. There are no signs of them reverting back to the "So Wrong, It's Right" era. Personally, I think this album is awesome. Some tracks are hilariously bad, but for the most part, the record is great.

Dillingerfold
    Someone's status on facebook summed it up pretty amusingly- "What I want to say about All Time Low's new album is what I'd say if I had a 30 year old cross dressing son, 'it's cute that you're experimenting and yes you're very pretty but please stop now because soon you won't have any friends.'"
    MaxWood
    Pretty disappointing album if I'm honest. I loved Nothing Personal but this just doesn't come close to it, it opens fairly strong but quickly dies down to an average sounding yet over produced pop punk mess.
    Bananafish003
    Eagerly anticipated? I heard nothing of this...and I'm glad. I'd be pissed if this album was being hyped at all.
    BradleyyJohn
    This guy does realise that the last four songs he reviewed are bonus tracks... And the mere essence of them being different to the rest of the album, is because they are bonus tracks... right ? He can't be that thick... If he didn't, I apologise. And, my personal favourite from the album is Time-Bomb. Can't get it out of my head, so good. I give this album as a whole an 8 or so. Currently the main album I listen to.
    SumFX
    Skyus05 wrote: r0ckth3d34n wrote: blake1221 wrote: This album was complete and utter shit. This. Does not touch Nothing Personal, and that CD blew compared to So Wrong, It's Right. Double this. And The Party Scene was a killer album. How can these guys now in their mid 20's make more and more poppy music and stand to play shows for younger and younger girls. Pretty sure they've lost most if not all their male fans. At least we have blinks new record and another new found glory record to look forward to.
    lol oh yeah, because those will be testosterone fueled albums. Terrible band, i actually gave a few songs a listen from this release and it was just awfull. Seriously the Jonas Brothers have better written songs (And more memorable riffs) and im really not joking.
    xAnon125X
    ATL is really starting to lose me here which is why i barely drift away from the fueledbyramen scene. if you think these guys are shitting up, Hopeless Records still has We Are The In Crowd and Anarbor and plenty of misc. bands that are yet to be found and signed. There is hope yet