Future Hearts review by All Time Low

• Released: Apr 3, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
All Time Low: Future Hearts

After All Time Low's previous release, "Don't Panic," I was excited when this album was announced, I was excited. And for good reason. 2012 ("Don't Panic"'s release) was about the time I became a fan of All Time Low, and the album, being the first one I listened to, left me with high expectations for their next album. However, when I first got the album, I was less than impressed. Compared to "Don't Panic," and their earlier work, "Future Hearts" has transformed the band's sound to suit a more mainstream audience, abandoning their pop punk roots and abandoning the "punk" aspect of their music. The guitars have lost the flair they previously had, and the singing, although of a high quality, didn't seem as passionate and heartfelt as the vocals from the likes of "Nothing Personal" and "Don't Panic." The sound of this album was a disappointment to me.

Aside from sound, the lyrics of this album have, again, upheld All Time Low's standards. For example, "Missing You," one of my favourites from the album, talks about the issue of self harm, and encourages people to stop. It combines a feel-good song with a deeper, more serious meaning, and exemplifies the lyrical expertise Alex Gaskarth (vocalist/lead guitarist) has. Although not consistently delivered to a high standard, some of the vocals, particularly on "Missing You," and another example being "Kids in the Dark," did live up to my expectations. The lyrics work well with the sub-par music to save this album from crashing and burning.

As I've mentioned before, the "Future Hearts" pales in comparison to "Don't Panic" or "Nothing Personal." Its songs, unlike hits such as "Therapy," "Weightless" or "A Love Like War," are - for the most part - unmemorable, and the roots of the band have been lost in the mainstream sound created for the band to adapt to their newly found fanbase. Aside from one or two good songs on "Future Hearts," it was a disappointment to me. I wouldn't buy it again, and I hope All Time Low's next release is an improvement.