Nothing Personal review by All Time Low

• Released: Jul 10, 2009
All Time Low: Nothing Personal

Since 2007's So Wrong, It's Right, All Time Low have progressed with their sound. They still have that pop-punk vide which keeps you smiling from ear to ear and makes you want to jump around, but there's also an added sense of maturity to it. Nothing Personal, in this sense, is a step forward for the band. They've managed to progress and bring out a different record to it's predecessor, whilst still keeping their roots. The album itself is very polished and sounds like it's been made to fit in with mainstream pop-punk, like that of The All-American Rejects and Fall Out Boy. It works as well, they've brought in new components like strings, programmed drums, and "Daft Punk" style vocals. It's been done in such a way that it doesn't overpower the albums sound, but gives it a bit more flavor. This flavor is showcased very well in the song "Too Much". It brings plenty of new elements with the "Daft Punk" styled vocals, programmed drums and synths. It gradually builds up to introducing the entire band and it's transitioned well. However I do find it a weak link on the album, it's a good song and does work well with the album, but it feels like it's holding the album back. With "Therapy" they do what "Too Much" does in being a slower paced song, yet it's stripped of all the new elements, and works better for it. It's a nice, gentle end to a great piece of work.

Catchy and easy to remember pretty much sum up the lyrics. There are a few cliched "oh-oh"'s here and there, but they tie in well and don't feel over used. The vocals themselves have been produced to sound flawless, you can't nit pick at them because there's nothing wrong with them and all backing tracks flow well both with the songs and the lead vocals themselves.

Overall this album is a step in the right direction for the band, I wouldn't say it's better than So Wrong, It's Right, but I will say that the next album should be a killer. I look forward to a few years down the line and seeing it's appearance. Stand out tracks are "Weightless", "Break Your Little Heart", "Sick Little Games" and "A Party Song". The first single off the album - "Weightless" - has an interesting start and wastes no time in introducing the programmed drums before kicking in and becoming unforgettable. It carries that All-American Rejects sound and it's pulled off well. Altogether it's the sort of album which could stay stuck on your CD player for days and not get boring. Wind the windows down in your car and play it loud, 'cause it deserves it. Having listened through the album 5 times over I gotta say, it gets better with every play, so if you're not so sure the first time, give it another try.

anjan14
    this album is amazing iam surpirsed the songs are so catchy all songs they have a bright future .all time low are amazing
    hayz_182
    Am I the only one who actually likes the song "Too Much"??? Pretty cool album
    hardrox
    pyritmann wrote: they are total blink 182 knock offs it drives me mental, even the way they act and talk in interviews is so unoriginal, one of the most overrated bands around.
    They don't sound like blink-182.