Nothing Personal review by All Time Low

• Released: Jul 10, 2009
All Time Low: Nothing Personal

As a vocalist/guitarist, I think Alex Gaskarth is one of the most talented clean vocalists on the pop punk scene. Even from All Time Low's earliest work, his voice has remained both passionate and easy to hear. Many pop punk artists slur their words or sing unintelligibly, but Gaskarth keeps his words discernable, creating songs that are enjoyable to listen to and easy to sing along to. These incredible vocals, combined with the astounding instruments, make the album the great 12-song CD that "Nothing Personal" is. The bass is audible amongst the guitars without drowning it out, and the lead and rhythm guitars do their respective jobs almost flawlessly. Overall, the tunes created by the band are a must-listen for all All Time Low - scratch that, all pop punk fans.

Lyrically, this album is the epitome of 2000s pop punk; being dumped, dumping, hating your town, you name it, the album has it. Moreover, this album has some of the catchiest lyrics I know. I haven't overplayed any of the songs on this album, yet I can still sing along to most, if not all, of the songs with enough memory of the chorus to hold my own in an All Time Low karaoke session! As well as the stereotypial pop punk cliches, the album does have some deeper lyrics as well. None come to mind, but I've listened to this album enough to understand the deeper meanings to some of the lyrics beneath the catchy, foregrounded choruses, which truly makes this album a near-perfect 41 minutes of easy listening.

All Time Low have stuck to their roots on "Nothing Personal," maintaining the pop punk, Blink-182-esque sound they had and have continued to have up to "Future Hearts" (2015). This album is a perfect example of modern-day pop punk, and sets an example for other bands (the album was a notable influence on Tonight Alive's album "What Are You So Scared Of?" (2011)), as well as proving to their new AND lifelong fans their worth as a band on the pop punk scene. Would definitely recommend to fans of Blink-182, Green Day and 5 Seconds of Summer, and anyone who enjoys being able to sing along to songs.