The Almighty Review

Almighty: The Almighty
Released: Jun 13, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
This comeback album is a punk/rock crossover of high class that sets out its agenda with the opener, "Broken Machine," a churning, melody-infused grind.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Almighty Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Sound: Punk rock the way it is meant to be played. The Almighty are from Ireland, they are now separated but together they've had 8 successful albums. They have been slightly popular in Europe during the '90s but they disbanded at the end of 1996 after the release of their album Just Add Life. The Almighty is their comeback album recorded in 2000. They have never quite broke through due to the fact that they changed styles a few times. They started as a glamorous band a la GN'R and became this really cool punk band with the perfect attitude. Their sound borrows a little from Motorhead, The Clash, Ramones, Mc5, Metallica. Yet their sound is completly original. Their main style is Heavy Rock and agressive Punk rock. The musicians are all really talented, the lead guitar is amazing comes up with these really challenging solos yet catchy. // 10

Lyrics: The Almighty had a lot of political songs, never preachy but we knew what the intentions were. Ricky Warwick, the guitarist/singer would come up with the most amazing lyrics. The lyrics are as aggressive and rebellious as the music. The singer and the back-ups are really good. Although the singer sings pretty loud, he can still maintain a tune which is not so obvious in punk rock now. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favourite album from them. The best songs are Broken Machine, Big Black Automatic, Stop (which I think is the most soulful punk rock song ever and if they would have had their label to back it up it would've been huge which is the same for the band) and Usak-47. What I love about this album is that it has that 1977 punk rock spirit written all over. It has that classic sound, guitar wise, drums and vocals yet I don't know any bands that sound as pissed off without sounding like they are trying (like Rancid and all these street punks which I love but find that they don't allow themselves to actually sound good). Of course if it was stolen I would go get it again. // 10

Comments