Southern Weather review by Almost

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Almost: Southern Weather

Straight from Underoath, you would think that Aaron Gillespie would have a harder edge to his music, but combining Emocore, Indie, Southern Rock, and even Bluegrass his sound has an absolutely great and diverse feel to it. On songs like "Amazing Because It Is" and "Dirty and Left Out", he brings a Singer/Songwriter style to the table and contrast it with the songs "Say This Sooner", "Never Say 'I Told You So'", and "I Mostly Copy Other People" to give a harder and sharper edge to the CD.

Hymns, spirituals, and symbolic lyrics are all present in "Southern Weather". Gillespie takes some of his vocals from Underoath and some of his own seperate vocal talents to the CD. "Amazing Because It Is" brings some of the most tear-wrenching lyrics I have ever heard, combining lyrics from "Amazing Grace" and personally written material (though spirituals and hymns usually get to me). a lot of "Southern Weather" was written due to Gillespie's anxiety disorder, hence the lines from "Say This Sooner" saying, "No one will ever say things the way I do, no one will try. All my friends think that I'm gone, but I swear I'm not." Aaron Sprinkle really brought that little bit of what the CD needed on the song "Never Say 'I Told You So'". Lyrically, Gillespie rocked!

For a debut CD, Gillespie held no punches and was absoulutey great lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally. Everything is balenced out, and even if you were expecting something a little harder it is something worth checking out. If anyone had ever stole it, I would first beat the crap out of them, then buy them the CD, then give them a good stereo just so they could listen to it. I love it and would definately recommend it.

ad4mZX
    Most of the best songs have been on compilations or the internet for months now, so the record got old pretty quickly. But, for people who haven't heard their songs already, it's a good album. Also, emocore is a pretty crappy genre to classify this under.
    CheifSlapAhoe
    I really like this CD alot, Aaron really did a great job with this band. I was lucky enought to see them live last sunday, and they sounded phenominal, I loved how they sounded and the whole vibe was.
    Covin
    Uhm, Cheif, Aaron IS the band pretty much. I think it's a decent record, but agree that it does tend to blur a bit. Still, the songs that stand out are very catchy, and even though it's not my genre, I've had them pop into my head out of nowhere a few times.
    bjackson369
    The Spoon
    i like the CD...its nice to listen to, it doesnt punhc you in the face like everything else does. I still like Underoath alot better though, even though the bands are nothing alike.
    deanosaurx
    heyyyy. kse fan. i uhhhhh stole this cd. and bjackson i think they ae usually refering to illegal downloading. and i cant believe how little exposure to this band i have had until this point.
    SensesFail_dude
    i agree with The Spoon, underOATH is a lot better and different from the almost, but thats a good thing, i love both of those bands =]
    senorjefe33
    In response to bjackson369's comment, when writing a review under the impression section, it asks you if you would replace the cd if it were stolen. People mention it because they are suposed to.
    Nybb
    bjackson369 : lol why does everyone reference to someone stealing a cd in their review? do people honestly steal your things that often? I don't see why people started doing that in practically every review. Because when you're writing a review, it asks you questions for suggestions of what to write and one of them is if you would buy it again.
    nickel3t
    i thought this was a great cd overall...i gave it a stright up 10 because its something that you dont hear everyday from other bands...