AB III review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 11, 2010
Alter Bridge: AB III

The album kicks off with a track called "Slip To The Void." Up until about a minute and a half in, the song has kind of a strange feel. After a verse of Myles' whispering, it kicks into the Alter Bridge we know and love. "Isolation," one of my personal favorites comes in at track #2. This was the first single from the album. It is classic heavy AB. The song begins with Scott Phillips' snare and it doesn't stop until the 4 minutes and 13 seconds are over. With a Myles and Tremonti taking turns on the lead between the verses and choruses, this song offers quite a bit of musical variety. I wont go in and review every song, but another memorable piece is "Words Darker Than Their Wings." With Tremonti singing co lead, this song stands out quite a bit. In short, the sound of the album is still the Alter Bridge we know from the last two records. You can easily tell that melody is still the most important thing to the band in this album as in the previous two.

Singer skills? What can I say? Myles Kennedy is probably THE greatest rock vocalist on the face of the Earth right now. His voice is so diverse and not to mention Mark's backing vocals and even his leads on Track 14.

If you listened to "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird," you've probably got a good hold on AB's lyrics. According to Mark Tremonti the theme of the album goes as follows

We all believe different things, he says. In fact, the overall theme of this record is Myles' struggle with faith. He has trouble believing in anything spiritual, and he really puts that out there. Personally, I don't believe in organized religion: I think it's crazy to believe that people are going to burn in hell if they don't go to the same church that you do.

It's incredibly hard to top "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird." As I've just began listening to "III," I can't say if they have made a greater album this time around. It usually takes a while for a new record to grow on me, but none-the-less AB III is a wonderful release that is still up there with the last of the band's releases. In my opinion, right the most impressive songs from this album are "I Know It Hurts," "Isolation," "Breathe Again," and "Fallout." I think all these songs offer so much variety, yet consistency. If you didn't expect a few of the songs to have the classic AB structure (Clean, melodic verses, heavy halftime chorus, and a sweet guitar solo following the high anticipated bridge.) then think again. I'd say half of the tracks are exactly what we were expecting from this album and I couldn't be more happy with it. I highly recommend that you all buy this album (not Download) and listen to it forever, until the next AB album that is.