AB III review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 11, 2010
Alter Bridge: AB III

If you've probably heard Blackbird or One Day Remains (Albums), you will find out that Alter Bridge already did EPIC songs that its hard to top, like In Loving Memory, One Day Remains, Broken Wings, Blackbird, Brand New Start... This album is darker than before due that its based on Myles' problems in believe and faith. The sound of the album is really diverse, it truly captures Mark metal background, Myles Bluesy fills, along with Myles GREATEST Vocals ever, which he is singing like in his last band Mayfield Four... I would give this a 10, because Alter Bridge is all about the sound, you can't find anywhere else, Mark's tone, or Myles vocals...

As I said the Lyrics are dark. Its talking about Myles struggles in the past, and him believing... But despite the great vocal ability, I think Alter Bridge could have done better in lyrics, they are really good lyricists, but in their songs, they keep throwing lines from other old songs. The lyrics definitely suit their music behind, specially on this album Mark back vocals a lot, and even leads on their last track "Words Darker Then Their Wings". The singer skills can't be talked about, Myles really does his best, you can hear his supersonic high notes, on Words Darker Then Their Wings, and Breath Again, also Mark Tremonti's vocals are really good and have improved. I give this a 9 because of the lyrics aren't that strong enough despite their meaning. I would have given a 10, because of the singing only.

Compared to Blackbird, and One Day Remains, this is their best album as a whole. Blackbird, Shed My Skin, Broken Wings, are really difficult songs to top as they are probably the best songs ever. In ABIII every single song is awesome, but only a few standout, such as Words Darker Then Their Wings, Show Me A Sign, Slip To The Void, All Hope Is Gone. As a whole this album tops the rest of their albums, but I don't think that a song there can top their best songs mentioned above, because although each and every song on this record is pure awesome. Maybe with more listens, I will realize that there is something better then Blackbird! What I love about this album is that, we get to see different sides of the band, Mark singing, Myles soloing on Isolation or probably some other tracks, Myles highest notes, the drums and bass by Scott Philips and Brian Marshall are flawless as usual. What I dislike about it is the track Life Must Go On positioning in the track list, I think it should have been in another place, or another song, its probably their weakest song on the album, but Alter Bridge's weakest is like not epic but Excellent. Definitely a truly epic album, if it was stolen from me many times, I would keep on buying it over and over, if I didn't have it on my iTunes :p

Photograph
    theoldwizard
    NO you obviously haven't listened to all AB's songs if you think that
    gbruin
    AB III takes a few listens to really get to know, understand, and appreciate. And when you do, you will hear that it is a gorgeous album - another amazing creation from the best rock band in the business.
    RAGman22ReborN
    Photograph wrote: I'm surprised no one has said it but "Ghost of Days Gone By" is an AWESOME song.
    it is awesome. It's one of those sad songs that i love.
    EdguyRule_22
    ehlert99 wrote: huge fan of Coeur d'alene is an epic song.. why has no one noticed this yet?
    I noticed, it's great, well they're all brilliant! I love this album a lot. Listened to it twice fully, it's amazing. So stoked that Australia got it first! Gave me something to do on Friday 8th at work! Long live AB!!!!
    FearOfTheDuck
    Was a bit skeptical about this band at first but after seeing Myles with Slash at Download i had to check em out! So glad i did. Definatly in the top 10 albums of 2010 for me.
    drumpat
    This is truly inspirational stuff in every way imaginable. I really enjoy their previous releases, but with this album AB seem to have found a style of their own. Album of the year with ease.
    sewoo55
    .... why does everyone think that becoming 'heavier' equals to becoming better?
    ehlert99
    huge fan of Coeur d'alene is an epic song.. why has no one noticed this yet?
    Rendz
    it seems that i've to buy this album cd as soon as possible.
    katz_ug
    And did the second review say that Life Must Go On is their weakest song in the album?? o_O I'm bloody sure that a **** load of people would be able to relate to that song. Crap man. That song is AMAZING... O.O
    Fausch
    This shit is serious. Listened to the album streaming. Tremonti's heavier influence is pretty prominent on this record. I love all of the really dark songs, but the song that really does it for me is the slightly more uplifting 'I Know it Hurts.'
    Gary.Blizzard
    Patrijz
    Such badly written reviews... But the message is clear, and I share the opinions. It's a great album, Alter Bridge really shows some original stuff. I do think a few songs could use a bit more originality (like life goes on, breathe again), but they are not bad songs. Really love songs like slip to the void, all hope is gone, show me a sign and the heavier isolation and still remains. Like I said; Great album!
    hackahobo
    I personally think One Day Remains is their best record yet, but AB III is definitely another solid Alter Bridge release. Long live Myles!
    jessehogie
    Amazing album. Every Alter Bridge album is truly epic, not many bands can say that. These guys are something special indeed.
    sheppo
    pablowwl
    Awesome CD. And Mark on vocals.... wow In 2009 we get Creed's Full Circle, now Alter Bridge III. Great gift. Thank You guys
    Shor-T Zero
    @Travis Yeah, give it a few more listens, you'll find something in there to hook you. I had to write a review because I was tired of reading "epic" so many times (I will admit I had my own words that repeated a lot thought). Hopefully people find it useful.
    YRIDEHD
    Patrijz
    RAGman22ReborN wrote: @ Mega, I heard almost NO bass in this album? Less than Blackbird. At least in One Day Remains, you heard the bassline VERY clearly without putting a bass boost. The closest thing to a bass u hear now is the bass drum.
    mm I noticed the bass pretty clear.. but that might just be my headphones or whatever. Although I like the mixing and of BB as well, I like it tight (just not too... it's close to that sometimes). But sometimes it loses the purity that ODR did have...
    Megatallica18
    RAGman22ReborN wrote: I'm having trouble determining if it's at par with Blackbird or if it's superior. It's a bit of a different animal since there's more of Myles musically than Mark. I'll say one thing, "if it had some wah or pinch harmonics, you knew it was Mark doing the solo. I'm buying the US version for those bonus tracks either way. Engineer-wise, One Day Remains is still their best. WTF's with the bass being so brickwalled and compressed?
    what are you talking about? i love AB's bass sound
    GunSlinger_a7x
    BwareDWare94 wrote: Ouch reviewers. I couldn't even read this stuff. C'mon boys. I understand if you're just learning English or something like that. However, ask someone who knows it for help if you're going to write an album review.
    well, keep in mind that the album has only been released in Europe, so hey, it's better than nothing
    katz_ug
    sewoo55 wrote: sheppo wrote: i listened to the song Isoloation and I was very impressed. But with AB thery have 1-2 Epic/Heavy Songs then the rest are pretty much Creed. GET HEAVIER .... why does everyone think that becoming 'heavier' equals to becoming better?
    You put on more weight and practice you surely would get better muscles Too bad that people are applying that same concept in terms of music... and hence, heavier = better in their opinion :p
    Slash181
    Most people are probably finding the moodier album harder to adjust with, if you dont have expectations then your not gonna get let down. i didnt, n i love it. i dont care if its better than the last album, i mean.... how do you personally measure an album from greatness to amazing.... you cant. its all original material and the fact that its so well written on all 3 albums you just cant compare. its AB, with yet another great album. 10/10.
    SilentFactor
    Well, on first listen I was modestly let down. It isn't a bad album by any means. How could it be with Alter Bridge? All the great elements are still there but I didn't find one song that put them all there in that magical way that they did on the first 2 albums. Still buying the album to be sure but it is my least favorite of the 3.
    EdguyRule_22
    YRIDEHD wrote: Listened to the pre-release online several times now. Having a hard time deciding if it is better than 'bird, but it definately musically diverse. I have to listen to an album for a while to make those kind of judgements. Many of the songs turn out different than you expect and I love it. And no one is better than Myles for one simple reason: HE CAN DO IT LIVE! They definately layered the Myles' vocals more on this album. What other band has put out three different albums that sound significantly different from each other and are still excellent?
    Absolutely 100% agreed. And hell yeah there are hooks!
    jjhand
    Definitely good songs (I've heard them on youtube), but these reviews are a bit confusing/ out of sync. They could point out some more subtle details about their playing style in a few songs, or how Flip totally excels at drums on several of these songs as well.
    ßorn_dead
    Gary.Blizzard wrote: travislausch wrote: Genre: Hard rock, alternative metal, post-grunge, progressive metal ...Really now? Yeah I don't know about the progressive metal. Tremonti has had some complex structures but not enough to be prog. However, I do insanely enjoy his guitar work.
    Isolation may qualify. There are no less than four time signature changes in "Isolation".
    Sorry. My Bad :p
    katz_ug
    A very concise and poor review here to be honest. Rating all the AB albums, I personally think it goes AB III at the start. Because to be honest, this album may not have the best soloing Mark delivered in the last two records but in terms of diverse musical content, this stuff is epic. Just m opinion though. I mean I listened to the previous two album and I could actually feel the change in their songwriting. They've surely progressed but at the same time made sure their sound remains Alter Bridge to the core. This was a very mature record and my respect for this band has definitely grown even more. My favourites off the album are Still Remains, Wonderful Life, Life Must Go On and Show Me a Sign [this song was way too different from any AB stuff I heard before..]
    Fuel Collector
    For me their best album, the solos could have been a bit more epic like on the previous 2 records, but still a bloody great record
    dbshred92
    I agree with the second reviewer where he says that dis album is their best as a whole. But there's no Blackbird song on this record which is true. But a really amazing and overall solid album. Only Breathe Again doesn't do it for me. I really think that Tremonti's solos weren't as expressive as Blackbird's solos. Neither were they as shreddy either. Only I know it Hurts solo was really shreddy. I guess sice they had much less time to put this record together he couldn't focus on solo writing as he wanted. Nontheless the solos were really good. All Hope Is Gone!! epic song
    travislausch
    Me too. He's an amazing guitarist and if more post-grunge was like AB, the world would be a better place. But progressive metal they ain't.
    metalslayer09
    Yep I've listened to it and can't wait to buy it in a few days. This is gonna be an amazing album!