AB III review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 11, 2010
Alter Bridge: AB III

ABIII was released on the 8th of October here in Australia. Although the record had been released on NME I deprived myself of listening waiting for the actual record. Alter Bridge III sounds incredible! From the eery whisper that leads the start of Slip to the Void, to the heavy chugging riff of Isolation and the sing along chorus of I Know It Hurts. ABIII has something for everyone. My first listen I was slightly disappointed, but every listen since has gotten better and better. In my opinion the previous AB records have followed a similar trend, 5-6 incredible songs, 5-6 good songs and 1-2 alright songs. ABIII follows this formula but surpasses it slightly: 01. Slip to the Void- Incredible song, sets the dark theme for the record. 02. Isolation- Incredible song, most lively and energetic of the record. 03. Ghost of Days Gone By- Good song, like the bridge/change. 04. All Hope Is Gone- Good song, ironically optimistic, cosidering the name. 05. Still Remains- Incredible song, personal favourite. Love the chorus and main riff. 06. Make It Right- Good song, sort of like "Rise Today" off Blackbird. 07. Wonderful Life- Incredible song, really emotional great verses. 08. I Know It Hurts- Incredible song, chorus is very emotional, bridge is awesome too. 09. Show Me a Sign- Incredible song, really creepy intro similar to Slip to the Void in a way. 10. Fallout- Alright song, pretty stock. I like the guitar solo though. 11. Breathe Again- Alright Song, Chorus is interesting but not quite on the ball. 12. Coeur d'Alene- Incredible song, the chorus is very cool, the tagline slides off Myle's vocals very nicely. 13. Life Must Go On- Good song. I know I, V, VI, IV chord turnarounds in the chorus are very mainstream but I do have a soft spot for this song. 14. Words Darker Than Their Wings- Incredible song, love Marks singing and I really like the ending. This song closes the record very nicely. The band sound is very tight, Tremonti's guitar solos are more dynamic than ever and seem to blend in well rather than take over the song. The tone in solos like the 2nd verse in I Know It Hurts is so cool, I love it. Its almost Santana like. Myles' guitar contributions to this record really make it. His solo's being much more vibrato based then Mark's, its highly noticable. As usual, Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips do an awesome job at keeping the rhythm backline tight and structured.

As Myles often is often quick to point out, the lyrics on ABIII are very dark. I also notice that Myles' singing often brings up reaccuring lines, such as: "How can you justify the life you're living" and The topic of "Wings" he seems to be obssessed with using them for imagery. I don't have anything wrong with these reacurrances, but I was expecting a much darker lyrics. Although it is Myles Kennedy singing who is possibly the greatest rock singer of this century, certainly to come out in the last 10 years. His high notes in the outro of Words Darker Than Their Wings in incredible. The whispers in Slip to the Void are creepy. And in Still Remains the lyrics spell doom to all "So carry on, if you must go your way". Mark's singing in Words Darker Than Their Wings also fit in really well.

On the whole, ABIII is better than One Day Remains but doesn't match Blackbird. Blackbird's themes, structure and songs surpass ABIII slightly. I was highly anxious to listen to ABII, I love the band (my favourite modern rock band) and before ABIII came out I had over played One Day Remains and Blackbird so much it wasn't funny. The sound quality of ABIII is much better than the previous releases... The songs on ABIII that are really rocking and make me want to jump up and down are Slip to the Void, Isolation, Still Remains, I Know it Hurts and Coeur d'Alene. Songs I like for their dynamics and change in sound are Life Must Go On and Words Darker Than Their Wings. I love this album, even though its not Alter Bridge's best and it passed my expectations. This album will be over played by me soon and then I'll be waiting for the next one to come out! Buy this album, you won't regret it! Alter Bridge should be way bigger than what they are!