AB III review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 11, 2010
Alter Bridge: AB III

I found the band Alter Bridge after listening to Slash's solo album, featuring Myles Kennedy. After listening to all three of their albums, I've concluded that this one is the most complex, being my personal favorite. The overall sound of this album is phenomenal. The opening of the first song, Slip To The Void, sets the mysterious tone throughout before exploding into a probably more familiar sound from Alter Bridge. Isolation is the first single off the album and is definitely the strongest song. It features a heavy sound along with a melodic chorus. The loose concept of the album starts to come together over the next few tracks. Myles battles his brain in a war over regret of lost oppurtunities and loneliness. There are some lighter tracks however, such as a Wonderful Life, Breathe Again, and Life Must Go On. There are some duller songs that could be passed over in favor of others, but I can confidently say none on ABIII are bad, just not as memorable. I can't say for certain the album ends happy with Words Darker Than Their Wings' chorus saying "Into the light may you follow." Hopefully Myles did make peace with himself and Alter Bridge continue to pour their soul into their albums.

Myles Kennedy is one of the best singers of modern rock out there. You can especially see his varying vocal range on the song Ghost of Days Gone By. He makes a simple word such as "isolation" fun to say and maintains a melodic style throughout. The lyrics focus on very personal thoughts of Kennedy; his views on religion and his life overall. Although I wish for a wider range of subjects on their next studio effort, I respect this concept album and Alter Bridge delivers. Once again, Myles Kennedy is the perfect hard rock / alternative metal singer and brings ABIII a step above their contemporaries.

ABIII is in my opinion a stronger effort than their previously acclaimed album Blackbird. A main part of this is their hit single, Isolation. There is a lot of variety on here, and it shows. This is also a very strong guitar album with, could it be, two lead guitarists? The lyrics are relatively easy to connect to, although it will take a few listens to truly appreciate. Who knows, it may give you a new lease on life or just give you another song stuck in your head. The ritual has begun, now you tear away from everyone.

Loki_37
    Never heard 'em :\ Well, except one song. I will have to check this out. Since, for once, it feels like 90%+ of the UG community actually agrees something is good.
    FaceTomorrow
    Good songs, good vocals, good guitarwork. Greatest improvement on the previous two albums were the lyrics. Still not great, but a lot better.