Blackbird review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 9, 2007
Alter Bridge: Blackbird

Alter Bridge returns with their sophomore effort "Blackbird," lead by terrific songwriter/lead guitarist Mark Tremonti. Fans of Tremonti have long awaited for him to break out as a guitarist, which was seen on Alter Bridge's debut album, and further regarded by sparkling guitar work on Blackbird. Alter Bridge were quoted as saying that this was their most aggressive material to date, and they haven't lied. They have definitely gone heavier with more drop tunings, and riff oriented songs. Tremonti also plays more leads on this record, which is a good thing. Myles Kennedy's vocals soar on this record, planting his powerful range as one of the best voices in modern rock today. Myles also co-wrote the material with Tremonti and played guitar on the record as well, as he is a talented guitar/songwriter in his own right.The band is anchored by Brian Marshall on bass, and Scott Phillips on drums, both who do a great job and do not get the props they deserve in this highly talented band. This record will not let fans down and will likely impress more than the band's debut, "One Day Remains."

Once again, Alter Bridge tends to stick with issues in life, mostly with overcoming challenge, and moving on. Overall, the lyrics maintain more of a positive tone, with few exceptions, like the title track, "Blackbird." Myles Kennedy continues to impress with his incredible vocals, showcasing a dynamic range. Being a tenor in a rock world full of baritones, Myles puts forth a unique and recognizable sound.

Comparing Blackbird to One Day Remains, the former is definitely the more accomplished album. Mark Tremonti is constantly trying to improve his already adequate guitar skills, and it continues to show in the band's music. Stand out tracks include: "Ties That Bind," the lead off track to the record is a fast paced, heavy rocker that drops the jackhammer to state Alter Bridge is back; "Brand New Start," a melodic tune that is sure to race up the modern rock charts; "Buried Alive," another heavy track that showcases some of Tremonti's best guitar playing; and the title track, "Blackbird," a true masterpiece which showcases Tremonti's songwriting, and Myles' vocals and guitar playing. Tremonti, being a student of the guitar is always trying to improve and showcase his talents, which is why Alter Bridge have produced such some great songs. One thing I would like to see is the use of the rhythm section in the songwriting process as both Marshall and Phillips are talented in their own right. Overall, "Blackbird" is a dazzling rock record that will continue to impress current fans, as well as attract new ones.

jimicrakcrn
    Been listening to this off of AOL all day. Still hasn't bored me yet. Great band, great CD, buy it.
    slay_metal
    Puxa no em di cuenta lo escribi mal era con v xD... Te amo mi xikitita =D... Sorry for ocuped more space xD... ... .. .
    bejums
    hey jondy, its on itunes...but metal dan isn't so metal if he doesn't consider this a good rock band...keep rockin alter bridge!!!!!
    slay_metal
    Mi xikitita ama ese gupo =)... Y ya los escuchara complerto pk lo tendra original =)... Solo le puede bajar el demo =(... Oye amante de alter bridge te amo =), auqnue solo keras con el boklista xD... y eso... You speak spanish xD??? Really sorry, you not understand =P... Bye... Great band... ... .. .
    flyboyC17
    i just saw AB live last week and man i was blown away, to be standing just a few feet from Tremonti was heaven and i was suprised at Myles' playing he did some really good solos then ended the show by playing some insanely awesome and technical slide guitar, best show ive been too so far
    Logan_B
    Jonesmethod is wrong.....of course Tremonti wrote all their songs on the first record....but now theyre letting Kennedy write most of the material on Blackbird.....Alter Bridge rocks...WOOOOT!
    Jondy
    dammit I'm still waiting for it to be available on iTunes. I don't think the stores around here carry it. I'll check though.
    Logan_B
    hardrocker64 wrote: whos scott stapp? I did not see his name anywhere on this cd cover.metal_dan wrote: i can't believe all you faggots are excited for this band. i bet you still masturbate to your creed albums. scott stapp is a ****in douche with an annoying voice. and a wierd accent, only when he sings. if you're over 12, get a ****in life. if you're under 12, discover real music before you turn out like these people
    Wow.....and i bet your favorite band is bullshit screamo OH i cut myself all the time gothic screwed up ****ed in the head shit.....death metal sucks
    AlterTremonti
    This album is unbelievable! Tremonti and co. seem to get better with each release. This album owns One Day Remains, my pick for album of the year. Alter Bridge rocks!
    Dethdrummer
    Logan_B : Dethdrummer wrote: Great band, can't wait to get the new CD. I just hope they have different sounding tracks, the last CD left me bored a bit. You're kidding right? Metalingus, Open Their Eyes, and In Loving Memory are insane POSTED: 10/09/2007 - 07:30 pm / quote | I didn't say that the old stuff sucked, I like that stuff too, but still I couldn't listen to that CD over and over.
    the jakester
    the new stuff is so insane. i have listened to it all day long and i am still not bored with it. if u like rock this is right up ur alley. myles has insane vocals adn some cool guitar riffs, flip and brian hold teh band solid with the drums and bass. and tremonti owns the hell out of the guitar. his solos are insane. overall the cd adn band is 100% pure musical talent
    metalingus1
    Metal Dan will insert foot in mouth after hearing this record. Scott Stapp? Creed? Who are they? THIS IS ALTER BRIDGE.
    Schmokes
    I have to listen again, because my first impression was pretty lackluster.
    Wickeh
    Metal_dan. If you choose to stare blindly on the fact that 3 of these guys came from the rightfully ridiculed Creed, the joke will be on you. Why? Because you will miss this amazing piece of rock and metal. Do yourself a favor and check it, if you're disappointed, fine to each their own. But don't slag off bands on a prejudiced basis because you will not know what you're missing from time to time .
    that1l)ude
    I've heard it and really the only problem i have with it, and the first album, is that they tend repeat their chorus/hooks to many times. besides that it's a great album.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    I'm just leaving to buy this now. I've heard Ties That Bind, and if that and this review are anything to go by, it should be brilliant.
    Dethdrummer
    Big_boi
    MUSICAL ORGASM! (Though, i personally found that the cleans had too much of a chorus/phaser effect to them making them too roomy for my taste, but otherwise it was GREAT!!)
    hardrocker64
    whos scott stapp? I did not see his name anywhere on this cd cover.
    Rajah
    Listened to it for the first time today and there are many tracks that got my attention due to their heaviness.
    Gakusey
    I'm still waiting for that "real music" list! Be quick! Don't make me skip university tomorrow...
    DemonDante
    I bought this album when it came out yesterday and it is so good. Really lives up to the magic of the first album. I'm glad to be going to see them in January too!
    ironman316
    freaking amazing cd. never really heard them before, but i think i heard their single from the last album. very impressed though.
    cointurtlemoose
    I'm on my second play-through right now... First time through, I felt a little iffy... Now though, it's kicking my ass. Superb.
    cointurtlemoose
    Colbat
    Nice to see the review getting to the front page, the last album never got the publicity it deserved.
    tremontinus
    Best album i,ve ever heard. if this aint "real music" than real music doesnt exist
    Spiritweaver
    cointurtlemoose wrote: I'm on my second listen... First time through, I was a little iffy... Now though, it's kicking my ass. Superb.
    Same here, just use your first listen to let the sound sink in, and then you realize what a masterpiece this album is.