Blackbird review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 9, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Alter Bridge: Blackbird

Notice the first member of the band that has been listed in every review? Mark Tremonti. As has been noted, Mark Tremonti always has and always will be the driving force behind Alter Bridge. It's a far cry from the backseat he took to Scott Stapp in his Creed years. The sound that Alter Bridge has adopted sounds like Creed trying not to be Creed. That's not a bad thing, and I don't mean it to sound negative. Alter Bridge starts where Creed left off, always on the edge of corny power balads, but pushes the envelope much further than Creed ever did. Very aggresive, and full of Mark Tremonti's trademark guitar fireworks, Alter Bridge continues to push it's identity in this new disc.

Start Preheating the album, because these lyrics are as Cookie-Cutter as they come. I do give them credit for trying to put a positive spin on some of their songs like Rise Today and Before Tomorrow Comes. But overall, the lyrics lean toward the cheesy side of hard rock, lamenting a lost love, or questioning one's existance. "Leaves are on the ground, Fall has come, Blue skies turning grey, Like my love." No new ground being tread here. Although it has never struck a chord with me, I will admit that Myles Kennedy does have a very strong voice. One that he has obviously worked on for years.

Honestly, just hearing Mark Tremonti's guitarwork places Blackbird above all else in the genre. Replace Tremonti's solos, pick squeels, and riffs, and you would just have another hard rock band with a decent singer. But of course as I said before, it's really Tremonti that will drive this band to success.

HexaDakota
    metalingus1
    Alter Bridge is in it for the money? that's a laugh. insert foot in mouth. They made this record on their own dime, after buying out their old record label contract with their own dime. these guys purely just wanted to make music because they love to.
    slashsnakepit15
    the guy who earlier said that they were in it for the money...not so. alter bridge paid for this album theirselves because this is music that they wanted to get out and give to their fans.
    HexaDakota
    mannyfresh wrote: jesus tittie f'n christ.... you guys are hopeless go lock yourselves in your rooms and listen to your creed albums and blackbird "the greatest album ever made" according to tremont.....
    All I said about Creed was that their music was solid. You shoot off a paragraph like that and you say that I'm hopeless? Maybe you should listen to a band's music instead of their entourage.
    no mercy
    ^ shut the hell up mannyfresh. That last guy didn't say anything like that. What are these other bands that are so super-duper awesome and original that you like? I bet they sound and or copied SOMEONE down the line. And man, it sounds like you've got some repressed anger locked up in you; might want to go talk to someone about that before it gets worse.
    mannyfresh
    HexaDakota wrote: I still haven't learned why everyone hates Creed. I know Scott Stapp was a loser and an hypocrite offstage, but the music they produced was solid. I think everyone hated Creed because their fan base was primarily 14 year old girls. Luckily for me I discovered Creed only a couple years ago, long after the "CREED SUCKS" pandemic spread throughout the underground. Good thing I wasn't tainted. Oh, and Blackbird is awesome.
    Mega-Tallica
    I've listened to the first 7 tracks of this album and liked every one, but the second half left me bored. But it may grow on to me after a few listens like One Day Remains which I also didn't like at first.
    no mercy
    HendrixCMD, don't worry dude. That guy mannyfresh is just stuck in his own little world and is trying to stir some controversy. Ignore him.
    HendrixCMD
    mannyfresh wrote: ironman316 wrote: mannyfresh wrote: tremontinus wrote: Best album i,ve ever heard. if this aint "real music" than real music doesnt exist c'mon man!!! best album? what do you listen to? whats up with UG even bothering to review this? this type of music should go back where it belongs in the year 2001. I FEEL LIKE I"M TAKING CRAZY PILLS! ah, metal dan's *****. pretty sure i didn't hear an album this good in 2001. Logan_B wrote: Wow.....and i bet your favorite band is bullshit screamo OH i cut myself all the time gothic screwed up ****ed in the head shit.....death metal sucks just an fyi, "screamo" as you call it, happens to be one of my favorite genres, yet i'm calling this cd one of the best i've heard. i hate when people strictly listen to one genre. man you guys have it all wrong. why is it that when someone doesn't like this type of music u automatically asume they are metal heads? I like all types of music. It's bands like these who contribute nothing that really pisses me off. They are all about making cash man can't you see that? even a reviewer said "expect no new ground being tread here" now if you guys are teens ok fine you have an excuse but you really need to expand to better music theres lots of indie bands out there that'll blow your minds!
    1. Logan_B wasn't talking about you. 2. How are they not contributing anything? 3. How are they all about making cash? 4. What does being a teen have to do with liking a certain kind of music? 5. Who are these indie bands that are so amazing? ...but back on topic I think that this is a great CD but I think the Tremonti is a good guitarist but it isn't shown in most of the songs. I was hoping that Alter Bridge wouldn't put limitations on his talents like Creed did but I guess I was wrong. Still great though.
    Matt_1213
    Mannyfresh must be on some pretty hard pills if he can't appreciate this album for what it is...musical genius in every sense. and not only that, it has the ability to appeal to every rock/metal fan while not 'dumbing' their music down. A true classic.
    axeslinger0u812
    the band is ridiculous. great cd. kind of wish Flip would use double bass on some of the heavier riffs though. i could feel where they would go to thicken the sound, but other than that i loved every other bit of his drumming. definitely better than any other album the members are associated with. interesting to see a band that has been around for this long actually evolve into a better sound, and not in a experimental way. they just got heavier, and more technical, while still keeping the songs true to themselves and not going over the top. impressive.
    Kreuger
    I definitely knew they could play. I was waiting for them to just go balls out. Sadly Creed had to end for that. But now we have Alter Bridge who, on the whole are a much better band. Awesome ****ing album.
    no mercy
    I agree Eternal_One. Why is it that you can't listen or appreciate all types of music? When did this terrible occurrence happen? btw, good for you bro for listening to something other than death and black metal. I have met so many ppl who only listen to that and then shit on other forms of rock/metal.
    kmchipower
    the people that only listen to pure metal and think everything else sucks needs to branch out and get exposed to different genres of rock & roll. if the softest band you listen to is metallica, then i am talkin to u. you NEED to start listening to zeppelin, pink floyd, GNR, hendrix, the beatles, etc. oh and i havent heard this album yet, but i know the first album is good. this is a good band. who knew the guys from Creed can actually play? and myles kennedy can sing his balls off.
    Eternal_One
    lol I'm into the brutulist death metal and darkest Black metal, but I think this album is pretty good. Not a fan of some of the slower stuff, maybe coz i think it's slightly cliche and boring but the more aggressive stuff like White Knuckles etc are really cool. Very nice catchy and heavy riffs, considering its not full out metal. Why must ppl only listen to one genre of music? Take a chill folks.
    ironman316
    ah, metal dan's *****. pretty sure i didn't hear an album this good in 2001.
    ironman316
    ah, metal dan's *****. pretty sure i didn't hear an album this good in 2001.
    just an fyi, "screamo" as you call it, happens to be one of my favorite genres, yet i'm calling this cd one of the best i've heard. i hate when people strictly one genre.
    serjYankovic
    As I am too lazy to bring the quote down... Alterbridge CAN'T limit Mark's talents... It's HIS band. And I don't know what you're talking about... His talents are shown in EVERY song in playing and writing. If anyone is being hidden, it's Brian. I can't tell if the bass parts always virtually double the guitar, or if they just pull a Metallica and almost mix it out of existence. As to Scott Stapp... I liked his voice mostly. The only issue I had with it was that he had VERY POOR pronunciation talents... Scott, if in a different setting, could've had a promising metal-ish voice. Now Myles is different... His vocal range is worth KILLING for. I was very iffy about him at first when One Day Remains came out... But quickly grew to love and admire his talent. I've listened through the album a few times. The first time was indeed iffy in the sense that every song dealt with overcomming and new beginnings. But not anymore, I really love the cd. I will admit though, ODR did have a more diverse collection of sounds and moods to it than Black Bird. Nonetheless (don't you love how thats one word?) great second work