Blackbird review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 9, 2007
Alter Bridge: Blackbird

Earlier, Mark Tremonti said that this would be a more aggressive album. I can recall many bands saying that about their new stuff and it still sounds the same. This is one of the rare cases where it actually happens. This is a heavier, more aggressive and complex album than One Day Remains, though Mark Tremonti is good about not straying too far from his original style. I really detect a lot of outside-the-box thinking on Tremonti's part. Same thing with Flip's drumming. In Creed, a lot of his patterns were very similar, if not the exact same, but with Alter Bridge, and particularly on this album, he sounds like a completely different drummer. He's also thrown in some double-bass too! This album really sounds a great deal like something some of his influences would write.

Myles Kennedy had a much larger role in songwriting for Blackbird. He has definitely grown a lot in the three years since One Day Remains. And this is just me, but I've gotten a little more used to his voice. Sometimes, honestly, I think he would sound a little better as a baritone, but he still provides a great voice for Alter Bridge.

Blackbird sounds more like Alter Bridge and less like Creed pt. 2, which is a good thing (I like Creed, and think it would be cool to see them reunite sooner or later, but that's a different story). Blackbird actually puts me a little more at peace with the knowledge that Creed most likely will not happen ever again. Tremonti has very obviously grown a lot since Creed and even more so since Alter Bridge's first album. I cannot stop listening to this album. I've listened to it all the way through several times already and am not getting tired of it. Any guitarist who is having trouble with his songwriting skills (either just by nature or he chooses not to be creative As I Lay Dying) could take a few tips from Blackbird. The more I listened to Rise Today in the days before Blackbird hit the stores, I got more and more excited about it, and it did not disappoint. If you love a good combo of heavy metal and hard rock, this is the album for you. There are no filler songs on Blackbird. Each song is beautifully crafted like fine pottery. This is the rare case when the artist comes through after having said "this is the best work we've done."

Stonewall X
    I'm very impressed. I think Blackbird outdoes One Day Remains on almost every level.
    kmchipower
    i think i know what you mean...they are kinda like metal, but they have too many ballads and ballady stuff to be metal. they are not really hard rock either because their sound is so heavy. they also have an undeniable little thing in their music that gives it that "Alter Bridge" feeling. I hate to say it, but that little "thing" might be the part that still sounds like Creed.
    bejums wrote: i definitely don't agree with anyone on this review other than the fact that this album is amazing and it really showcases what Myles can really do as a vocalist and a guitarist. Tremonti's riffs were alot more aggressive and his solos were killer on Blackbird but Myles played a bigger role than before. I think that Alter Bridge should be their own genre because their sound is so original that I just don't know what to call it.
    bejums
    yeah true...idk but they definitely blow anything that Creed has ever done outta the water...Tremonti is the reason why i started to play guitar...well, i think the part that still sounds like Creed is the drumming...i mean sure flip has stepped up his game...but its just like tremonti was in the creed years...phillips is just too restrained...
    Spiritweaver
    I'd like to place a small wager that "Watch Over You" will be the next single, and will make this band's popularity explode. Which they most definatly deserve, of course.
    Stonewall X
    "This album really sounds a great deal like something some of his influences would write." Oops! I meant that about Mark Tremonti. Sorry if anyone was confused!
    bejums
    i don't know if i want their popularity to explode...its kinda cool knowing the my favorite band isn't being overplayed and ruined on the radio...
    marianoarnaiz
    I JUST GOT IT, GREAT ALBUM, LOVE IT LITTLE BIT DARKER AND HEAVIER THAN THE FIRTS, MABE A NATURAL STEP, I HOPE THIS ONE GETS MORE MEDIA ATTENTION THAN THE FIRS ONE. CANT WAIT FOR THE TABS
    slashguitar1234
    bejums wrote: i don't know if i want them to explode onto the popular scene...its kinda cool without having my favorite band being overplayed and ruined on the radio...
    well, being overplayed and exposing people to great music like this is wayyyy better than "alter bridge? who're they???"