Blackbird review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Oct 9, 2007
Alter Bridge: Blackbird

In Alter Bridge's sophomore album, they're gone a little heavier than on One Day Remains. They make good use of down-tuning with clear "rock" singing, which is kind of fresh nowadays where you either get cookie monster vocals with drop D or standard tuning with audible singers. It's a really catchy album, mixed with Mark Tremonti's insane guitar playing, and Myles Kennedy's blistering voice. This is definitely one of the defining rock albums of the year. My only problems is there are too many songs that seemed to be slower so that they get more radio play, and I wish they would have just let Tremonti loose on a couple songs to do whatever he wants, instead of limiting it for radio play.

The lyrics are solid, Myles Kennedy has been doing this with past bands, so you know what to expect. His voice itself is great, with a lot of range. The lyrics work well with the music; a gritty heavy rthythm with his higher clearer voice over it. He is in fact one of the best singers in modern rock.

Overall, I'd say this album is better than One Day Remains. A few songs I really liked were the heavier ones, "Buried Alive", "Coming Home", and "Come to Life". I love the heavy riffs and skillful solos of Mark Tremonti and the great range of Myles Kennedy. This combo really creates a catchy rock album, with Tremonti's guitar work making it near-metal. If I lost this album in all ways possible, I would probably buy it again, it's a solid rock/metal album in 2007, which is hard to find.

strata666
    If you're like me that was used to their first album ONE DAY REMAINS, it takes a tad bit of time to get used to this album... I think it's as well done as the first album with more soloing and more double guitar stuff (Myles Kennedy(lead singer) was only mentioned as Vocals in the 1st album booklet, but he did play backing guitar and in BLACKBIRD he was mentioned as VOCALS/GUITAR) I reccomend this album for any rock fan and if you are a true fan of ALTERBRIDGE and/or their 1st album.
    laxslinger
    I loved One Day Remains and I'm getting into Blackbird as well. Regardless of what type of music you listen to, if you are a fan of amazing musicianship on every instrument you have to see Alter Bridge live. I've seen them twice live and they are fantastic. Do yourself a favour and check them out.
    badhabit000
    ONE BY ONE IS MY FAVORITE SONG OF THE ALBUM BY FAR BEST SONG IVE HEARD BY THEM TIED WITH METALINGUS
    kfong03
    hmmm not my fav rock band but i have respect for them as they have some good riffs and very nice solos. but they're probably the only ones along with velvet revolver keeping rock alive nowadays...unlike the dreadful stuff that comes on the radio...
    bejums
    i don't think velvet revolver compares to alter bridge...i mean, don't get me wrong Slash is a great guitarist but Tremonti is going to pass him up if he hasn't already...plus AB puts on one hell of a show, which puts them at the top of my list..
    stringrule
    in one day remains it doesn't show myles with guitar because mark did all guitar parts in studio. about this album..... myles, brian, flip and mark- these people are bloody crazy. i mean their just out of their minds. how the hell did they put so many awesome songs in one record!!!! and i heard they do some pretty kickass live shows. gotta check taht out too. may they make twenty more albums and do a billion shows all across the globe. LONG LIVE ALTER BRIDGE!!!!!
    ezeitner
    Saw the show in Seattle, Tremonti and Myles flat out rock together. Blackbird shows the real talent of both guys. Best work Tremonti has ever done, the chains are off and now he can show us what he is all about.
    the clincher
    This new album kicks my ass! and i thought one day remains was Mind blowing! but Blackbird kicks One day Remains ass! (but i still love one day remains!) Mark Tremonti seriously melts my face off with his musical talent when i hear his material i don't feel worthy to even play the guitar. Mark Tremonti is A GOD!!! Rock on Alter Bridge fans! oh and screw you metal_dan!
    Z-Diddy
    I loved Alter Bridge from the beginning when they still had that reminiscient sound of Creed, but now that they've found "their sound," I'm loving them even more! This album is amazing.
    the clincher
    oh and everyone stop comparing alter bridge to creed. because they are nothing alike, just some of the same people.