One Day Remains review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Alter Bridge: One Day Remains

Alter Bridge is a collection of former Creed band members and a new frontman. Some say that their new sound is too much like Creed, but I disagree. While some aspects of the music is quite similar to Creed, (obviously since 3 out of 4 of the band members are formerly of Creed)I find it to be a fresh sound and not just recycled Creed crap. I think that Mark Tremonti's playing on this record is fantastic, and probably the best he has done to date. He didn't get enough of a chance to solo in Creed but he breaks it loose for just about every song on the album. And when he isn't soloing, he is playing killer riffs!

This is pretty much Mark Tremonti and Company, considering he wrote all the music and mostly all the melodies on the album. He wrote or at least co-wrote all the lyrics on the album with the lead singer (I believe his name is Myles Kennedy). The lyrics are decent, not terribly inventive or creative, but enough to grab your attention and make you want to sing along. The overall vocal skills of Myles Kennedy are fabulous! While the lyrics are so-so, his vocal range is amazing (for a rock singer!)

As I said earlier, this album has some similarities to Creed. Mark Tremonti is and always will be a talented guitar player and melody man. This CD could be compared to Creed's debut My Own Prison album, but a little raunchier! Raunchy, with songs like Metallingus and Watch Your Words but with raunchiness also comes some beautiful melodies in songs like Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings and In Loving Memory (which Mark wrote for his mother who passed away not long ago). If someone stole this album from me, I would probably be happy because if they listened to it, they would probably like it so much that they'd feel horrible for stealing it. And obviously I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy it again!