One Day Remains review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Alter Bridge: One Day Remains

I constantly find myself being surprised at the amount of thought gone into this album. The entire album is a mixture of different sounds which seem to go hand in hand with each other. As most people know, Alter Bridge has 3 of the original Creed band members in it, Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall, with the addition of a new lead singer, Myles Kennedy. The first song I remember hearing was Open Your Eyes, and that reminded me greatly of creeds style of music. The guitar was simple and catchy with some great transitions between distortion and clean. The drums are ear pleasing as well with the rhythm and sound changing with the style of the music. Then, suddenly, he whips out an impressive, short, shred solo which immediatly got me wanting more. Later, I bought the album, ran home and listened to it. The first song, "Find The Real" is a great tune. Everything about it is catchy, from the opening riff, to the 6 different chorus licks, and the mental solo. Following seemlessly on, comes "One Day Remains." It opens up with a trail of harmonics which link together immaculately. It's a fast paced song, and one of my favourites on the album. The chorus riffs and the 2 solos constantly impress me. Moving on from the "modern rock" type of sound, is "Burn It Down." Number four on the album. It makes a plesent change to hear a clean, slow-paced song such as this so early on. Its got a foreign sound to it, with a totally different sound to the rest of the album. Towards the end of the song, you begin to think that its not got a solo, and that this song would be great with one. Then in the last 30 seconds or so, there it is! Another mind blowing, perfectly intergrated solo! Track 7, has got to be one of my favourite songs of all time. "In Loving Memory" is an amazing song. It opens up with clean finger picking, with a slow tempo throughout. It's a song you would listen to, to chill out. The chord progression is simple and different to other songs. Tremonti's trademark pull offs and hammer ons are heard here, which if nothing else, links you to his style of music, and the rest of the albulm. This song is a great song to listen to while remembering things in the past, and it still makes me smile listening to it. The song doesn't have a solo in it, and I think this decision stands out with the bands talent. They know what songs should and shouldn't have solos in them. Number 8 is also one of my favourite songs. It opens with a simple riff with high and low notes and carries on through the whole song. The solo is probably the most powerful solo in the albulm and probably one of the hardest to replicate. With the addition of his Morley, Tremonti Wah Wah pedal, perfect Pinch harmonics and seemless 2 second shreds the solo is full of emotion which is expertly displayed. I would recommend this song to anyone. The sound of the entire album changes throughout, and is evenly distributed. The only song which sounds like creed is open your eyes, so don't let that put anyone off.

Tremonti, the lead guitarist, shows even more of his talent by writing a good majority of the lyrics. All of which fit easily into each individual song. All of which captivate you and you seem to just want to sing along! Like I mentioned before, the lyrics fit into the style of each song. Some lyrics are heavy and some soft. Some good examples of this, are the two songs, metalingus and in loving memory. The singer Myles Kennedy is extremely talented a shows it with the band alter bridge. His singing style reminds me very slightly of Creeds style, but is very different as well. It's unique and inspiring.

All in all I think this is probably one of the best albums I've ever known. Everything about it shouts brilliance. I dont think it does justice comparing it to other albulms. In its own way, it's a very unique albulm, incorporating many different styles of singing, guitar playing, guitar techniques. For example, the last song on the albulm, has a very foreign sond to it, kind of middle eastern, where as "In Loving Memory" is very soft, clean and is heavily finger picked. Since each song has a different style, its very hard to just name the most impressive songs on the album. Depending on what mood I'm in, depends what songs I find impressive. But generally, I find "One Day Remains," "Find The Real," "Metalingus," "In Loving Memory" and "Down To My Last" the best ones on the album! There is nothing I hate about it. I can't even think of anything I dislike about it, its an album I could listen to all the time, whenever and whatever mood I'm in. I love playing along with all the songs on the guitar, and I must admit, its incredibly fun too as well. It tests your skills alot, especially with the "Down To My Last" solo. If it were stolen, lost, damaged etc, I would probably go out and buy five more, just to hand out between my mates so they could enjoy it as much as I! My personal opinion is the albulm cant get much better, and its one of the best albulms I've ever listened to.