One Day Remains review by Alter Bridge

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Alter Bridge: One Day Remains

The sound of this album is very unique and reaches a very high level of musical maturity. Mark Tremonti (the guitarist) did the vast majority writing for all eleven tracks. To me, he takes a much more aggresive approach to his guitarwork and just the overall sound of most of the tracks. As a whole, this album is more aggresive and harder than Creed ever was. Some tracks (such as Open Your Eyes, she'd My Skin, and Broken Wings) are somewhat Creed-sounding but that is to be expected considering 3/4 of this band were in Creed. However, despite these songs' muscial resemblance to Creed, I feel that they are much more interesting because of the guitar and the vocals. Imagine Creed without an annoying, predictable-sounding singer and in place someone who I feel is one of the greatest singers today. Now imagine some complex and challenging guitar work in the background. Lots better, no? In conclusion, it's hard to describe this album any more. The songs vary so much in tempo, key, major/minor, overall feel, etc. It's just an overall great hard rock experience. Let's just say the last words I would use to describe this bands sound are repetetive and immature.

Again most of the lyrics on the album were written by Mark Tremonti. They talk about different aspects of living such as addictions, watching what you say, and other things. I feel that they are thought-provoking and that they serve their purpose well. Nothing extremely spectacular. But who is extremely spectacular is Myles Kennedy on vocals. Like I said before, I feel that he is one of the greatest singers today and my personal favorite of all time. One of the biggest things that I love about his vocals is that his voice stays clean when he goes high and doesn't break up or get extremely raspy as opposed to 90% of all modern rock singers. He adds much passion and emotion to all of the songs. Lyrics I give an 8 and The singer gets a perfect 10 so this section gets a 9.

I bought this album the day it came out and have love it every second for just over 2 years now. Keep in mind that I have very high standards when it comes to music. This isn't just some band that I heard the guitar and was like, "Kool! Fast guitar rulz!" I can barely criticize anything about this album. I just love how everyone in the band is so talented and they mold all their talent to create awesome music. It's cool because when I listen to this album, I don't focus on individual talent, I hear the whole band. Overall they have a very tight, professional, and unique sound.

FungusInMyMilk
    i agree. its great. you can listen to it for ever and not get bored of it...for a very long time