One Day Remains Review

Alter Bridge: One Day Remains
Released: Aug 10, 2004
Genre: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Label: Wind-Up
Resulting "One Day Remains" retains some Creed-isms, like Tremonti's foot-on-monitor-wedge showboating, or the thickheaded riffs that unfold smoothly into elegiac.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.3
 9.6
 2,664
One Day Remains Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2004

Sound: Mark Tremonti fimly establishes himself as one of the best guitarist of modern times with this album, not just in his amazing playing but also in his now instantly recognisable writting style. That said this album doesn't sound like a new creed album, of course there are parts of this album that are very similar to creed (like 'Open Your Eyes') but you would expect nothing less. However, this album goes beyond the Creed sound, it covers a huge range of sounds and styles from the 80's metal style 'Metalingus' to the gorgous and emotional 'In Loving Memory' while also creating a whole new sound and style best shown in the songs 'One Day Remains' and 'Broken Wings'.

Expertly written music and melodies are accompanied by the magnificent vocals of new front man Myles Kennedy, whos voice in places does draw parrells to Stapp and Cornell but for the most part are new and different, and what a range the man has (shown superbly in 'Burn It Down'), superb! Tremonti also does a nice job on backing vocals, begging the question why he didn't do more on Creed's material! Brian Marshall is the only man who can complment Tremonti's style and it's great to see him back in the rythmn section with Scott Phillips creating the powerful drive of the album. Simple yet effective. This band definatly delivers a much needed new sound to the modern rock sound. // 10

Lyrics: Tremonti also proves his worth as a lyricist, while not as chllenging as some of the material written by people like Eddy Vedder of Pearl Jam, the lyrics on this album are much less self orientated as Scott Stapp's often were with Creed. Open to inturptation all the lyrics are written with obvious passion and emotion showing that a lot of time thought and effort went into them, they also fit the songs perfectly. Tremonti benifits form the assistance of Kennedy on five of the songs and this proves to be a great combination, much more fluid than some of the lyrics Tremonti and Stapp created together. The undoubted lyrical content highlight is 'In Loving Memory' written by Tremonti about his late mother, the lyrics are heart felt and emotional, Tremonti really opens up in this song to great effect. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is certainly not the new creed album, for that matter this album isn't simply Creed with a new front man. Instead it a soring emotional modern rock masterpiece and comes at a time when the rock genre needs something new to push it on again. This album is most certainly the album that can do it, great songs and melodies played by a band that have found instant chemistry and have unbelievable talent, especially Tremonti who is masterful on this album and in some places is almost machine like! I adored Creed and eagerly awaited this album while hoping it would be a new sound. I was not disappointed, in my opinion this is better thatn all 3 Creed albums and I absolutly love the songs 'Open Your Eyes', 'Broken Wings' and 'In Loving Memory'. I would definatly replace this album if my copy was lost, stolen or damaged, in fact I would do it straight away, this album has become and instant favourite of mine! I you liked Creed you'll like 'One Day Remains' and if you didn't like Creed then Alter Bridge are new and different enough for you to enjoy. Buy this album! // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: Logz, on october 17, 2005

Sound: I constantly find myself being surprised at the amount of thought gone into this album. The entire album is a mixture of different sounds which seem to go hand in hand with each other. As most people know, Alter Bridge has 3 of the original Creed band members in it, Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall, with the addition of a new lead singer, Myles Kennedy. The first song I remember hearing was Open Your Eyes, and that reminded me greatly of creeds style of music. The guitar was simple and catchy with some great transitions between distortion and clean. The drums are ear pleasing as well with the rhythm and sound changing with the style of the music. Then, suddenly, he whips out an impressive, short, shred solo which immediatly got me wanting more. Later, I bought the album, ran home and listened to it. The first song, "Find The Real" is a great tune. Everything about it is catchy, from the opening riff, to the 6 different chorus licks, and the mental solo. Following seemlessly on, comes "One Day Remains." It opens up with a trail of harmonics which link together immaculately. It's a fast paced song, and one of my favourites on the album. The chorus riffs and the 2 solos constantly impress me. Moving on from the "modern rock" type of sound, is "Burn It Down." Number four on the album. It makes a plesent change to hear a clean, slow-paced song such as this so early on. Its got a foreign sound to it, with a totally different sound to the rest of the album. Towards the end of the song, you begin to think that its not got a solo, and that this song would be great with one. Then in the last 30 seconds or so, there it is! Another mind blowing, perfectly intergrated solo! Track 7, has got to be one of my favourite songs of all time. "In Loving Memory" is an amazing song. It opens up with clean finger picking, with a slow tempo throughout. It's a song you would listen to, to chill out. The chord progression is simple and different to other songs. Tremonti's trademark pull offs and hammer ons are heard here, which if nothing else, links you to his style of music, and the rest of the albulm. This song is a great song to listen to while remembering things in the past, and it still makes me smile listening to it. The song doesn't have a solo in it, and I think this decision stands out with the bands talent. They know what songs should and shouldn't have solos in them. Number 8 is also one of my favourite songs. It opens with a simple riff with high and low notes and carries on through the whole song. The solo is probably the most powerful solo in the albulm and probably one of the hardest to replicate. With the addition of his Morley, Tremonti Wah Wah pedal, perfect Pinch harmonics and seemless 2 second shreds the solo is full of emotion which is expertly displayed. I would recommend this song to anyone. The sound of the entire album changes throughout, and is evenly distributed. The only song which sounds like creed is open your eyes, so don't let that put anyone off. // 10

Lyrics: Tremonti, the lead guitarist, shows even more of his talent by writing a good majority of the lyrics. All of which fit easily into each individual song. All of which captivate you and you seem to just want to sing along! Like I mentioned before, the lyrics fit into the style of each song. Some lyrics are heavy and some soft. Some good examples of this, are the two songs, metalingus and in loving memory. The singer Myles Kennedy is extremely talented a shows it with the band alter bridge. His singing style reminds me very slightly of Creeds style, but is very different as well. It's unique and inspiring. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all I think this is probably one of the best albums I've ever known. Everything about it shouts brilliance. I dont think it does justice comparing it to other albulms. In its own way, it's a very unique albulm, incorporating many different styles of singing, guitar playing, guitar techniques. For example, the last song on the albulm, has a very foreign sond to it, kind of middle eastern, where as "In Loving Memory" is very soft, clean and is heavily finger picked. Since each song has a different style, its very hard to just name the most impressive songs on the album. Depending on what mood I'm in, depends what songs I find impressive. But generally, I find "One Day Remains," "Find The Real," "Metalingus," "In Loving Memory" and "Down To My Last" the best ones on the album! There is nothing I hate about it. I can't even think of anything I dislike about it, its an album I could listen to all the time, whenever and whatever mood I'm in. I love playing along with all the songs on the guitar, and I must admit, its incredibly fun too as well. It tests your skills alot, especially with the "Down To My Last" solo. If it were stolen, lost, damaged etc, I would probably go out and buy five more, just to hand out between my mates so they could enjoy it as much as I! My personal opinion is the albulm cant get much better, and its one of the best albulms I've ever listened to. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: GergleRock86, on august 11, 2004

Sound: Being that Alter Bridge is mostly the members of Creed except for Scott Stapp, one would not be suprised to hear the same Creed sounds. I can compare this album more towards the My Own Prison than any of the other Creed albums. Mark Tremonti brings on the mad skills that he's always possessed in this album with amazing solos, crunchy rythems and also sweet melodies. Brian Marshall is also at his best as he adds very catchy bass lines. Scott "Flip" Phillips does an excellent job as being a drummer who can be so versatile and keep the drum fills gooing! Myles Kennedy reminds me of a singer from an 80's metal band, like Iron Maiden or Judist Priest, but with more power behind his voice while still being able to get the sweet highs and lows. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more of picking your self up after being knocked down and realizing what's important in life, and others too. Mark does a lot more vocals than he's ever done and also has a song he wrote in the loving memory of his mother who passed away a year or so ago. Pushing on after heart ache and pain are most of what is brung up in this album. Myles Kennedy is very good at what he does, and that's expressing the lyrics well. I felt what he was singing and I hope everyone does. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm just gonna say this and get it out of the way. Mark's my guitar hero and where ever he decides to go in his career I will support him and so far, he's done damn good. This album is one I would buy again if I lost it. It could be everyone at their peak or it could be them just getting started. "Find The Real" is a very catchy song with a lot of guitar work behind that makes me want to pick up a guitar and play. "Open Your Eyes," the band's first single, has the craziest and fastest solo I ever heard that goes right along with the melody. "One Day Remains" reminds me of 80's metal and has some fast guitar riffs along with some crazy vocals. "Metalingus" is one heavy song with some crazy drumming and thrashing that makes you want to bang your head along! This is an album worth buying and I don't say that just because I'm a hardcore Tremonti fan, but because it is! // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: Staind 14, on november 03, 2004

Sound: I must say that Mark Tremonti has really improved over the four year hiatus since Creed's weathered cd. There are alot more guitar solos on this album, all of which include some pretty fats fretwork. Brian Marshall once again shows his skill as a bassist, and Scott Phillips has gotten a whole lot faster as a drummer. There is a seemingly noticeable pattern in the music. however, which is somewhat of a drag, but overall everything comes out great. And Myles' Kennedy's skill as a vocalist is amazing; his voice is very emotional and thought provoking, which contributes greatly to the band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are all good. The only lyrics I don't like are the ones from In Loving Memeory and Burn It Down. One Day Remains is an excellent choice for a title song, as the lyrics are some of the best I have ever read. And Myles Kennedy's voice really manages to make the lyrics seem better. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I was very impressed with this album. It's not Creed, no, but Alter Bridge is really high up there on my list right now. You would think that they could not match up to Creed but Alter Bridge does a great job. And truthfully, they can't be compared to Creed because they have a totally different style. Over all this album is great, with a number of good songs, and I would definitely recommend buying it. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: PageEnthusiast, on november 04, 2004

Sound: From from the bone crunching opening riff of "Find The Real" I listened to this album and cant seem to stop. The opening song has the elements you wished you could hear more of on Creed's "Weathered" on songs like "Bullets" and "Freedom Fighter." Thankfully, there are more blistering Mark Tremonti solos as well, which are absolutely killer. Then on songs like "In Loving Memory" Tremonti shows a rare gift in giving a life into guitar intros. They have such a retro 80's metal sound with a more respectable musical quality that is absolutely breathtaking. // 10

Lyrics: Many of the lyrics on this album are about life's redemption, which relate to almost anyone. However with this, you arent hearing creed's seemingly pretentions evangelism in it. They focus much on being happy with one'self. Also, on tracks like "In Loving Memory" and "Watch Your Words" Tremonti's gift for lyrical poetry is finally taking shape. Myles Kennedy voice is a breath of fresh air for rock and roll. His vocal range is simply astonishing. From the hair raising screams at the end of "Find The Real" to the almost un-natural hight notes in "Down To My Last" Kennedy already cements himself as a singer with absolutely amazing vocals and singing charisma. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression, many bands could honestly not play in the same room as these guys. Drums, Bass, Guitar and Vocals they are some of the best in the modern world. "Down To My Last" I believe is still my favorite song in this album from its catchy melody to its searing guitar solo. "Find The Real" also is a bonafied genius rock song, and is to me the perfect song. I love everything about this band. If it isn't perfect, the lyrics could veer off a bit just from self redemption. I recommend this to anyone who misses rock and roll. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: riffer_raffer, on february 01, 2005

Sound: Alter Bridge is a collection of former Creed band members and a new frontman. Some say that their new sound is too much like Creed, but I disagree. While some aspects of the music is quite similar to Creed, (obviously since 3 out of 4 of the band members are formerly of Creed)I find it to be a fresh sound and not just recycled Creed crap. I think that Mark Tremonti's playing on this record is fantastic, and probably the best he has done to date. He didn't get enough of a chance to solo in Creed but he breaks it loose for just about every song on the album. And when he isn't soloing, he is playing killer riffs! // 10

Lyrics: This is pretty much Mark Tremonti and Company, considering he wrote all the music and mostly all the melodies on the album. He wrote or at least co-wrote all the lyrics on the album with the lead singer (I believe his name is Myles Kennedy). The lyrics are decent, not terribly inventive or creative, but enough to grab your attention and make you want to sing along. The overall vocal skills of Myles Kennedy are fabulous! While the lyrics are so-so, his vocal range is amazing (for a rock singer!) // 8

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, this album has some similarities to Creed. Mark Tremonti is and always will be a talented guitar player and melody man. This CD could be compared to Creed's debut My Own Prison album, but a little raunchier! Raunchy, with songs like Metallingus and Watch Your Words but with raunchiness also comes some beautiful melodies in songs like Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings and In Loving Memory (which Mark wrote for his mother who passed away not long ago). If someone stole this album from me, I would probably be happy because if they listened to it, they would probably like it so much that they'd feel horrible for stealing it. And obviously I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy it again! // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: skeeter510mn, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Don't let the fact that three of the members of Alter Bridge are former Creed members drive you away from a destined classic. "One Day Remains" is a brilliant CD with some of the best musicians of today. Alter Bridge's music in general is much heavier than Creed's was, yet it still keeps the melodic aspects wonderfully. This CD covers all aspects of true rock from the loud and raunchy "Metallingus" (it has to be hard rock to have that name), to the slow amazing ballad of "In Loving Memory." Mark Tremonti is one of the most underappreciated guitarists of his time, and his always recognizable sound and true talent is showcased in this CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Alter Bridge still have a slight Christian belief in the faith department, yet they don't shove it down your throught. It's subtle. Besides, the lyrics make no difference when you hear the amazing voice of Myles Kennedy (formely of Mayfield Four). He is in my top ten of all time vocalists after only hearing one CD. His abilities shine in every song, whether hard and fast, or slow and steady, he is unreal. His techniques make you feel the emotion backing the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: There are no other Alter Bridge albums to compare to this one, yet I see this as only oppurtunity for more great records. The first song, "Find The Real," is one of my favorite harder ones. It is very well written and Myles' vocals are phenominal, as always. My favorite ballad is the formally mentioned "In Loving Memory." This deals with the loss of someone close, obviously. I hits the right spot even if you haven't had this unfortunate experience, it makes you feel as though you have. The only drawback I have is that the number of ballads easily outnumbers that of others. Overall however, this is and amazing CD and an essential in any rock fan's library. // 9

One Day Remains Reviewed by: rhcp_9106, on march 08, 2006

Sound: This is a fantastic album. Coming out of a band in this day and age, the music is amazing. The album contains 11 tracks, which all belong on the album. 01. Find The Real - this song opens the album, and does a terrific job of setting off the general feeling of the album. 02. One Day Remains - this is the title track, with fast rhythm guitar riffs and fine soloing work by Tremonti. 03. Open Your Eyes - this has a fighting chance (in opinion) at being the best track on the record. A great guitar riff in DADADD tuning, with a machine-like, lighting fast, but still melodic and monumental solo. This is definitly Tremonti's moment of truth. 04. Burn It Down - this is a great song that slowed down the course of the album. The ending is very climatic, with yet another astonishing solo. 05. Metalingus - this is no doubtly the fast song of the album. This song will get you pumped. The rhythm parts are very fast, with and eerie bridge section. 06. Broken Wings - this song is another highlight of the album. It sets the standard for the ballads left to come on the record later. Tremonti's deep drop tuning adds a unique effect to the songs beauty. 07. In Loving Memory - this song has an akward tuning, but opens the doors of newly formed chords which creates the songs originality. 08. Down To My Last - this song brings the tempo back up and once again kudos to Tremonti on his solo. 09. Watch Your Words - this is one of the most interesting songs on the album, though often overlooked. The eerie riff in the verse compliments the chorus and prechorus. 10. Shed My Skin - this is one of the more beautiful songs on the album, with Tremonti playing the main melody on acoustic and the entire score ending with fantastic vocal harmonies. 11. The End Is Here - this song concludes the album. The style of the song is almost theatrical, in its unique chord progressions and powerful riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album were very emotional. They were definitly not the script that could be used for a punk or alt rock band. They were very original and fit the songs they were used in very well. Songs such as Open Your Eyes and Broken Wings had the better lyrics on the record. // 8

Overall Impression: Alter Bridge is very much like Creed, seeing as though three of the members are from Creed. As a comparison to other bands, they seem to be Hoobastank on steriods, the music strongly resembles that of theres but in a much heavier form. Like said before, the better songs on the album are probably Open Your Eyes and Broken Wings. Definitly worth a listen. // 9

One Day Remains Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on march 07, 2006

Sound: I've always been a big fan of Matk Tremonti's guitar work. The music is surprisingly original and very far from the Creed sound (not that there's anything wrong with Creed). They are recorded with remarkable quality. I like it alot cause it's like a new genre on it's own. Almost like alt. metal and heavy rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are only as good as the voice behind them. Myles K.'s tenor voice gives them a real clear and humble meaning. The lyrics to the songs are very story like. Broken Wings is the story of over coming fears and controvery I think, while a song like Metalingus is a song about reckoning and experiencing something new. Myles kicks wicked ass. He's like god. // 9

Overall Impression: I listen to Alice In Chains a lot and I listen to them and this frequently. I have 2 favorite songs from this CD, Broken Wings and The End Is Here. I love the CD 'cause there's never a dull moment and because Mark Tremonti isn't the only guitarist in the band. Myles plays twang box as well. I hate that they haven't posted on their website when they're making a new CD happen. I actually ripped it to iTunes but for sentimental sake yes I would buy it again. // 9

One Day Remains Reviewed by: cointurtlemoose, on august 17, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is very unique and reaches a very high level of musical maturity. Mark Tremonti (the guitarist) did the vast majority writing for all eleven tracks. To me, he takes a much more aggresive approach to his guitarwork and just the overall sound of most of the tracks. As a whole, this album is more aggresive and harder than Creed ever was. Some tracks (such as Open Your Eyes, she'd My Skin, and Broken Wings) are somewhat Creed-sounding but that is to be expected considering 3/4 of this band were in Creed. However, despite these songs' muscial resemblance to Creed, I feel that they are much more interesting because of the guitar and the vocals. Imagine Creed without an annoying, predictable-sounding singer and in place someone who I feel is one of the greatest singers today. Now imagine some complex and challenging guitar work in the background. Lots better, no? In conclusion, it's hard to describe this album any more. The songs vary so much in tempo, key, major/minor, overall feel, etc. It's just an overall great hard rock experience. Let's just say the last words I would use to describe this bands sound are repetetive and immature. // 10

Lyrics: Again most of the lyrics on the album were written by Mark Tremonti. They talk about different aspects of living such as addictions, watching what you say, and other things. I feel that they are thought-provoking and that they serve their purpose well. Nothing extremely spectacular. But who is extremely spectacular is Myles Kennedy on vocals. Like I said before, I feel that he is one of the greatest singers today and my personal favorite of all time. One of the biggest things that I love about his vocals is that his voice stays clean when he goes high and doesn't break up or get extremely raspy as opposed to 90% of all modern rock singers. He adds much passion and emotion to all of the songs. Lyrics I give an 8 and The singer gets a perfect 10 so this section gets a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this album the day it came out and have love it every second for just over 2 years now. Keep in mind that I have very high standards when it comes to music. This isn't just some band that I heard the guitar and was like, "Kool! Fast guitar rulz!" I can barely criticize anything about this album. I just love how everyone in the band is so talented and they mold all their talent to create awesome music. It's cool because when I listen to this album, I don't focus on individual talent, I hear the whole band. Overall they have a very tight, professional, and unique sound. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: Stonewall X, on august 28, 2006

Sound: This album, although it has it's similarities, is pretty different from Creed's sound. Some of the riffs are faster and more complicated (Metalingus, One Day Remains). This record is also very diverse. Mark Tremonti does a fantastic job of breaking out of his norm of using drop D all the time and uses standard and open G, and there are also a decent number of quality solos, showcasing Mark's abilities as one of the best guitarists of our time. // 10

Lyrics: I don't have that much to say about singer Myles Kennedy. All I can and will say is that he has a good range and adds a decent vibe to Alter Bridge. His lyrics on some of the songs are pretty good too. His voice is a little annoying at times, though. The lyrics Mark Tremonti contributed showcase his talent as a songwriter beyond guitar. The two best examples of this are on Watch Your Words and In Loving Memory. // 8

Overall Impression: I know that this is supposed to be a new band and not just Creed with a different singer, but Mark Tremonti without Scott Stapp just isn't right. Myles is excellent at range and ability, but he lacks the heart of Scott Stapp's performance. This album, however, is a decent, worthy listen if you like hard rock and amazing guitar solos. While I think Creed was better than Alter Bridge, I won't hesitate to recommend this album. The best songs are Find The Real, Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, and Watch Your Words. I wish Alter Bridge the best of luck and I hope they do well in the future. // 9

One Day Remains Reviewed by: Merge, on august 13, 2004

Sound: Honestly, I wasn't expecting Creed with a different singer. Although you can hear that "Creed" sound on this CD, this isn't Creed. It is heavier than Creed, with alot of things that Mark Tremonti wanted to do in Creed, but didn't. The album covers alot of ground, from the heavy rocker "Watch Your Words" to the slower ballad "Burn It Down". This is album Tremonti wanted to make. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as spritiual as a Creed record, mainly because Scott Stapp isn't doing the writing. All the lyrics and melodies are excellent, and it makes me wonder who wrote the majority of lyrics in Creed. Mark Tremonti, said he wasn't much of a lyricist, but he does an outstanding job here. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm sure alot of the music on this album would have been on the next Creed record had it come out. However, that doesn't hurt this album. Myles Kennedy is an excellent singer, and covers alot of vocal ground with his style. He sounds more like Chris Cornell than Stapp. Having Brian Marshall back doesn't hurt either. There are few bassist that can keep up with Mark Tremonti, and Marshall is one of them. Scott Phillips shows why he is one of the top 5 drummers out there today. I recommend this album to anyone that likes modern rock. And if I lost it, I would buy another copy. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Sound: This is it, the first CD from Alter Bridge, which was actually originally intended to be a side project of Tremonti's, until Creed officially broke up and Alter Bridge became his primary band. This CD is mostly created by Mark Tremonti. He wrote the vast majority of the lyrics himself, and he had the guitar parts to all the songs nearly completed with Scott Phillips (drummer) before Brian Marshall (bassist) or Myles Kennedy (singer/secondary guitarist) came along, so the music is also mostly written by Tremonti. In essence, this CD is mainly Mark Tremonti's creative work. The other members contributed alot in performing, but as far as writing this album goes, Mark Tremonti wrote the majority of it. Tremonti shouldn't need an introduction, he is one of the best gutiar players in a rock band around today, without a doubt. He was good in the early Creed days, and kept getting better 'till he really had to hlod back in Creed, and now he can unleash. He is very talented, and only keeps getting better. Those of you who know Tremonti farily well know he has a heavy metal beast inside of him. I think the metal-style shredding is his favorite thing, but he is very diverse too. He plays some blues and classical guitar (I wish he would record some for all of us to hear). He also likes good melodies and can be very melodic. That's probably his second-best thing, writing good melodies, which is where more of his hard rock sound comes from. This was more apparent in Creed then his metal side. This CD goes from melodic to shredding and many songs in between as well. I'd label it a hard rock CD, but the opening track and some other songs are really too metal to be hard rock. Some of the songs are definetly too light and melodic to be considered metal, and perhaps a bit light for hard rock even. Some songs are right in between, hitting a nice very edgy hard rock sound that really rocks out. All in all, this is definetly a great rock CD. It's leaps and bounds from most of the stuff you hear on mainstream rock radio stations. The musical talent of every member is quite evident in this CD (except perhaps for the bass player, not because he doesn't have talent, but because you can hardly hear the bass most of the time thanks to the way it's mixed). If you want to categorize it more, I'd say the overall sound is a mix of post-grunge (a.k.a. Creed sound), '80s rock/metal, and something even newer. Or just awesome will do. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are mostly written by Tremonti, with some help on some of the songs. Tremonti's lyrics are very open-ended, in the sense that you can't usually tell he's talking about any specific events or happening in his life. I want to say they are abstract, but that's not quite the word I mean, perhaps general is a better word. You can listen to many of the songs and feel like you relate to the lyrics because they are so generalized. As far as lyric writing ability, I would give Tremonti a 7.5/10. Some of his lyrics are great, some are good, and some are so-so at times. I look at the lyrics as poems to determine that. Poetically, there pretty good overall. The open ended-ness I spoke of sometimes leads to lyrics that seem rather devoid of much meaning; however, I would say it usually works the other way around and gives the songs many meanings to everybody so everybody feels they can relate to the message in a meaningful way. However, I would say that the lyrics always match up very well with the feel of the whole song. The heavier and darker songs (Find The Real, Metallingus) have angrier/darker lyrics; the heavy yet positive One Day Remains has positive lyrics; the sad and very melodic In Loving Memory has sad and touching lyrics; and so on. Myles Kennedy is quite a good singer. I don't like to make comparisons, but I will make this one, to compare him to Stapp. Well, Stapp put a lot of passion in his singing by forcing out the notes. Stapp wasn't a great singer, he was ok; listen to Creed live and often you'll find that Stapp is in the wrong key or hits many wrong notes. However, if you notice, rock bands don't always have great singers, so I'm not really trying to put him down. Stapp did contribute great lyrics to Creed though. Kennedy puts as much passion into his singing, but he's quite a good singer, and doesn't have to force every note out so harshly. Kennedy doesn't sound like he's straining himself to death, and hits very high notes with ease, really. He has a great range, and he has very good pitch too. Live, I rarely hear him off, and occasionally I do hear him hit an off note, but he quickly corrects it. His style is not quite that of your typical rock band, but I like it. If you don't like tenor voices, go listen to '80s, then maybe you will. Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) is a tenor, so if you think high male voices aren't "cool," then that is a very rediculous reason to not like Kennedy's singing. If you just don't like his style, that's up to you then; to each his own. I like his style, I think it's very soulful and I think the ooohs he sings add nicely to the songs (Open Your Eyes is a great example). Overall, he is a very talented singer with a unique style. // 9

Overall Impression: Some people say they sound like Creed, some don't. I think I know why (for the most part). Every musician has a distinctive style to his playing that is recognizable to some extent in everything they play. Three of the four musicians are from Creed. So, in that respect, yes, they do sound like Creed. But, as a whole band, I think they sound a good deal different from Creed. The band's overall style is right between heavy metal and hard rock. They have lengthy, flashy solos and some real riffing out and shredding, unlike Creed, which never shredded or riffed out nearly this much. They have much more of an '80s sound then Creed did. The songs are more complicated then Creed's songs, and really all the musician's get to play and showoff and do whatever they want to since Alter Bridge isn't some huge band like Creed that everyone expects to produce big hit singles all over the radio. You can tell every band member's style (except Kennedy's of sourse), while still recognizable, has changed from what they sounded like in Creed. All the songs on the album are great in my opinion. My "favorites" are Find The Real, One Day Remains, Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings, In Loving Memory, Down To My Last, and Shed My Skin. Find The Real and Metallingus are the metal-like songs (dark and heavy with plenty of shredding), with Find the Real having an awesome guitar solo, and Metallingus having heavier/faster drums but no specific guitar solo. One Day Remains is just as heavy and full of shredding, yet is much more positive, with another great solo. Burn it Down is a hard rock song with some blues sound to it that appears to be about drinking and the results, but turns positive in the end (along with another great solo). Open Your Eyes, Down to My Last, and Shed My Skin are more hard rock-like, with more melody/less shredding and a positive message/feel. Open Your Eyes and Down To My Last both have stunning solos. Broken Wings and In Loving Memory are more like rock ballads, with strong, beautiful melodies and (of course) no shredding. Watch Your Words is somewhat like the metal sound but not as much shredding and a more relaxed chorus, with an angry feel to the lyrics. In The End is also between the hard rock and metal sound, with a darker tone and an awesome riff that really builds up at the end. Really, I love this whole album. These guys have talent! The only thing, is, as I mentioned earlier, the bass is not mixed in very well, making it hard to hear Marshall's lines. I'm a bass player mainly, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what and who's good and what a good bass line is, etc. Listen to most of My Own Prison (especially the song One) or some of Human Clay to hear Brian Marshall better. He's hardly ever a flashy bassist, but his lines have a good groove and are made to emphasize the feeling of the song, which I think he does a great job at. He's not one of those robotic bassists that just plays right along with the guitar line. He keeps the heavier songs moving, and in the melodic songs, he adds feeling with almost a counter-melody of sorts to give the songs a great feeling. I'll be honest, he's not up there with the likes of Cliff Burton or Les Claypool, but he does have talent, and he's quite good and has no trouble keeping with Tremonti. For this CD, Marshall came in after Tremonti already had the songs down, so Marshall had little input in writing the foundations of each song, instead he adjusted to what Tremonti already had. Personally, I think he's holding back his talent a bit. He knows the bass line has to concentrate on being a good foundation and not always being in the front. You probably don't always notice his bass lines unless you listen for them (I'm talking all his work, not just on this CD), because they blend in and fit so well. They add plenty of feeling to the songs and you don't even really notice unless you listen specifically to the bass. Anyway, that was kinda off subject, but, yes, my only realy complaints about this CD are the poorly mixed bass lines and the occaisonally only good or just average lyrics. Everything else is great! Tremonti, as usual, is writing awesome guitar lines. Scott Philiips is a great drummer, contributing varied (but always solid) drum lines that fit each song, but gets to show off a more intense, faster side in Metallingus. I'll admit I don't know a lot about playing the drums, but I can tell he's definetly pretty good (and my drum-playing friends agree too). I can't wait for the next CD, because Tremonti and the other members are always trying to push theirselves to be better, and so the next CD will be even better. It will be more complicated, have more shredding and even bigger/longer solos, even better drum lines, even better singing, better lyrics (with more working together between Kennedy and Tremonti), better bass lines (hopefully mixed better), and Marshall will be able to contribute more to the songs in the early process of building the foundations of each song, which I think will help improve the songs as well by adding more creative input. I'm 99% sure of all of this. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: slash4lyf, on october 05, 2006

Sound: Mark Tremonti, Myles Kennedy, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall together make one hell of a good sound. Especially with Tremonti's face melters and overall guitar talent makes awesome tunes, altough doesn't always connect with Kennedy's vocals. Myles has a voice that can flow along with heavy rock and metal to soft rock and sorrow (e.g. Metallingus - In Loving Memory). This album is an awesome new aged rock album and has some awesome sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the songs on this album are some bloody well thoughtout lyrics. Most songs you hear these days are bunch of words put together that sounds shit or sounds good but no meaning at all. Tremonti and Kennedy put together write songs that have meaning and sound. 'One Day Remains' has some very impressive lyrics and is quite inspiratiional if you think about it it's all about not giving up and staying in. 'In Loving Memory' is oviously about a loved one passing, but the lyrics in this song is possibly one of the greatest lyrics written. But not all songs are top-notch, 'Down To My Last' and 'Watch Your Words' aren't that great of songs and could of been improved. But the lyrics in some of these songs are some of the greatest so that's why it's a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great style of rock, not as good as the classic rock but is possibly one of the greatest albums of the past decade. The most impressive thing about this album is mainly the lyrics but then again you can't go past Tremonti's guitar and Kennedy's vocal talent. I love this album because the songs can mean so much if you just listen to them and think what they can mean(and the solo in 'Open Your Eyes'. There's nothing really to hate about this album but your either going to love it or hate it. If it was stolen, lost or broken I would be pissed but still go buy it again definately. I would highly recommend this album for people possible looking for somethng new but still want to stay with rock or with ya want some good tunes to learn. In my opinon this should be up with the greatest debut albums but that's just me speaking listen to them and post your own opinon. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: OrangePossum, on june 22, 2007

Sound: After the end of Creed, Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips, and Brian Marshall came back for more. They scouted and recruited Myles Kennedy of The Mayfield Four and started up Alter Bridge. And, unlike their past sounds from Creed of a post-grunge sound, they made a transition to a heavier, more alternative/hard rock sound. Alter Bridge did not fail at all with their transition, instantly able to put out a great sound with awesome solos from a big shredder in Tremonti. // 9

Lyrics: Myles Kennedy brings some awesome lyrics to the already excellent work of the band, with lyrics that match well with the music and the overall tone of the songs. He's got an amazing voice and can do the highs and the lows, unlike a lot of modern singers out on the stage today. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums of all time, because it was written excellently. Every track on it is awesome. This is one of the few albums I'm able to listen to all the way through without thinking "what the f--k kind of song was that?" It's definitely a step in a better direction from the band, especially having the powerful shred solo in "Open Your Eyes", the face-stomping "Find the Real", and the hardest of the album "Metalingus" (with a name like that, you know it kicks major ass). Everything about this album is great and if they do the same with their next album, they'll still have many fans wanting more from them. I accidentally broke the disc and, unlike what I would do with most albums, I bought another because it was that damned good. // 10

One Day Remains Reviewed by: andybene, on november 01, 2007

Sound: This band has come a long way since Creed. You can obviously tell of Mark Tremonti's sound without this whole album. Like Creed this bands album has excellent sound quality, more guitar riffs than Creed had. I'd say a lot more agressive and heavier than Creed. I' must say now that I listen to this band all new, Scott Stapp was holding the rest of the band back from what they really could be. As far as innovation, def better than a lot bands out there today. a lot of the songs are by Mark anyway, but the style in this album still reminds me of Creed alot. "Not a bad thing". I think the Creed sound should stay, but the heavier style is a great add. // 10

Lyrics: Basically the band still sounds like a Christian rock band, the lyrics are about having faith, not giving up in life, picking yourself up, and good and bad memories. Maybe not as religious as Creed, but still it's nice to see the band not take a crazy route way off track. I love the lyrics, the riffs mix well with them and the new singer Myles is pretty good. Not as deep as Scott Stapp, but he can deffinately compare. // 9

Overall Impression: This album will deffinately compeat with the other hard rock alt. albums out there. I'm also a fan of P.O.D., Nickleback, and 3 Doors Down. I'd have to say this album blows away a lot of bands out of the picture today. The most impressive songs on the album are Shed My Skin, Broken Wings, and Burn It Down. The feeling you get from listening to the lyrics rather than that not so deep spirited rock today. Man you have to love this band. I' love this album. I played it in my car for a whole month. Then I'll play it again when I feel like it. I'd be madd if this album was lost when it is out of print. // 9

One Day Remains Reviewed by: callumfrew97, on august 29, 2013

Sound: Alter Bridge gives an incredible sound to each of their songs. One can tell that Alter Bridge has the members of Creed, just Kennedy instead of Stepp, with Tremonti's famous incredibly-fast solos and amazing one-guitarists riffs and choruses. Alter Bridge had a similar playing style to that of Creed. They still had Tremonti playing his outstanding clean guitar playing with his beautifully written solos. Although Creed famously were a Christian band with a lot of their songs oriented on the fact that they're Christians, Alter Bridge claims that they're not a Christian band and that they write their songs based on how they feel and what sounds good, not what appeals to their Christian listeners or based on religious views. // 10

Lyrics: As previously mentioned, Alter Bridge doesn't write their lyrics religiously-based but rather based on what they feel will sound good and they still manage to get some messages across to the listener. The lyrics and sounds generally made by Kennedy can be incredible. Kennedy's range can allow him to make the low pitched sounds in the choruses but he can also hit the highs in the famous "woohh"s that he does. The lyrics go really well with the instruments. Forming the lyrics and sounds together can really give the listener a sort of feeling of nostalgia and really allows you to sit back and relax to them, something not a lot of bands can give. Overall, the lyrics of this album fit perfectly with the guitar, bass and drums, giving a lot of enjoyment to their songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Although this album may be compared to some other albums by Alter Bridge and/or a few of Creed, the album is far by one of the best I've listened to. Of all the impressive songs on the album, of which I don't dislike any, I have to say that my favourite are "Open Yours Eyes" due to its incredibly fast solo by Tremonti and "Down to My Last." These two songs may be my favourite on the album but all of the songs on the album are generally amazing and a great listen; which can be rare to find on nearly all albums! I personally love the guitar playing in this album because it can be really moving in some songs, yet exciting and fast in others. I actually read some other reviews of this album and looked at the ratings and I see that it is considered one of the best albums ever made and I now know that it's not only me who enjoys it so much! I'd always make sure that I have a copy and I'd definitely replace it if it was to be stolen or lost. I never really was a Creed fan but I must say that this album was outstanding and I highly recommend that all readers and/or Tremonti/Kennedy fans go out and buy themselves a copy of this! // 10

Comments