Amaranthe review by Amaranthe

• Released: Apr 13, 2011
Amaranthe: Amaranthe

This band is quite unlike any band I've really ever heard before... They present a really unique blend of eurodance and pop music and melodic death/power metal, with three members sharing vocal duties - Elize Ryd, Jake E Berg, Andy Solvestrm - two singers and a harsh vocalist. The music itself is pretty well-crafted, the players are all very competent although none outshine the vocalists. The guitarist does nothing really virtuosic aside from a couple of the solos, and is mostly delegated to rhythmic duties along with the bass (which is seldom heard). Rounding up the rhythm section, the drummer provides intermittent bursts of double bass every now and then to really get things going. The melodies provided by the singers and the very prominent keyboards are extremely catchy and the three vocalists really provide for a lot of variety and dynamic not otherwise found in metal. And as far as the metal goes, it's heavy and it's quick and the riffs are very melodic death metal-oriented.

The lyrics are nothing to write home about really; love, life, relationships, fate, emotions - that sort of stuff. That doesn't mean they're bad, however; they fit very well with the musical style, I'd say. Both singers are skilled, but Elize is put in the forefront, delivering most of the vocals on the album while the other two share the rest. The harsh vocals are a sort of shouting/growling style, and they assist in providing an edge to the music, which might not pack so much of a punch without.

The impression I got from this album was that it was a very interesting mesh of genres that surprisingly worked very well. I'm impressed. Amaranthe has already toured with Kamelot, a pretty big name in the melodic/power metal scene, so I can see them receiving a fair amount of publicity in the near future. The writing is solid, the music is catchy and well-played, and the three vocalists - particularly Elize - are definitely the highlight of this production. There's a lot of good songs on this album: with the opener "Hunger", "1,000,000 Lightyears", the very dance-able "Call Out My Name", and the only ballad on the album, "Amaranthine", this is definitely a release that could even convert some non-metalheads into listeners. I would definitely buy this again if I lost it. Solid, solid first full-length effort.

CSMusic
    Pete-V
    kinslayerSOA
    Sure this isn't the 'br00tal' metal most would probably expect and hope for, but this is pop/power metal and I don't think they're really trying to be anything different. Personally this is one of my favourite albums full stop. I'll probably get flamed for saying that but it's catchy, melodic, has great guitar solos, a good laugh to sing along to. Sure I still love my Bodom, Amarth and Lamb of God, but sometimes I want an album I can just chill and listen to. For me personally, this is the album for that.
    I got the boot
    Why all the haters? This is basically a slightly heavier, Swedish version of Evanesence. I enjoyed this album, why should I care if it's "True br00tal metal" or not?
    ego66
    One of my favorite bands these days, love em. not as heavy as bodom or Lamb of god, but thats what my bodom and lamb of god albums are for. i recommend this album to anyone who likes music.
    dragozan
    Obviosuly, with the autotune used on the vocalists voice, itll be difficult to fully judge them on their singing capability, but the way this album souynds is just completely unique, and i really actually like it. P.S: This is coming from a complete metal fan, and from someone who usually DESPISES auto-tune, Europop and the like. This band just got it to work for me. But thats just my opinion
    MetalManForLife
    it isnt all that bad, would take a few listens to get used to it, but not really something id listen to everyday, but yeah not that bad
    Stube
    CSMusic wrote: How this band trolls all the blind metal elitists is quite entertaining. Great album all around.
    True
    starfire666
    this shit is actually pretty good, nice melodies to have your morning run to... but live it's almost unbearable - try headbanging to pop music, it's impossible, I tell you, impossible...
    CortexParasite
    You know, I listen to bands like Obscura, Amon Amarth, Mercenary (prior to the new album), Septicflesh and just about any band from any subgenre of metal. At first, I found this band rather empty and repulsive. But that was perhaps just a surface reaction to the general direction of their sound. For some reason I kept the album and have given it a few more listens. Ive now come to actually enjoy this album and hope they continue making music like this. Its something different from what I normally listen to and it is actually pretty unique in the metal genre. They arent as flat and dead as bands like Sonic Syndicate. If I could suggest something to the band it would be to do more songs like "Director's Cut" and write longer more elaborate guitar solos.
    Logan_B
    Anyone who enjoyed this Album, their new one THE NEXUS is absolutely unreal.
    derpdragon
    The song I listened to sounded like some attempt to make Nightwish a pop band...and I guess it worked?
    Gizmotechno
    listened to one song sometime back, sounded just like Dead By April until the vocals hit, then i realized these guys are to melodic metal what "I See Stars" are to metalcore, the commercial crap metal record companies put out once in a while for all those posers and hipsters to listen to!! XD
    damillion
    maximumrocker
    Listened to this album when it came out, was disappointed... some decent tracks other than that meh....
    iamanoob
    damillion : I endured this band live as the opening act for Kamelot. The melodies could easily fit in Eurovision song contest. For me personally music doesn't get worse than this.
    EpiExplorer
    Pete-V wrote: How can this only have negative comments? ive only heard some of the tracks from the demo but im already a huge fan of them. i think they can go very far (and they are both Danish and Swedish)
    Have you ever heard of pop music? This is corporate on the seismic scale. Its like effing Glee with a 7 string guitar. Whats the point of that?