Rewild review by Amazing Baby

• Released: Jun 22, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Amazing Baby: Rewild

If this album was a soup, the recipe would be sort of like this; A big old pot of average indie songs mixed in with 11 pints of effects, seasoned with effects and, for flavour (yes, you guessed it), more effects. As you may have gathered, the experimental/psychedelia factor is majorly apparant on this release, resulting in large amounts of plain noise to people who don't actually take drugs. The majority of the songs, though most are different to each other, repeat themselves quite a lot. As catchy as songs like Invisible Palace are, the repetitiveness often turns to boredom, turning listening to the album into more of a laborious task than an enjoyable experiance. This is a real shame. There are points in this album that sound quite nice and clever, but are spoiled almost completely by repetition and layered effects. The songs do at least vary from time to time. They experiment in some kind of Indian music with The Narwhal, which (since The Beatles, at least) is something not too alien to psychedelic music. This song, like much of the others, becomes a bore before too long as it doesn't change that much throughout the majority - the drums do kick in more prominently towards the end of the song, but I think it's a little too late. Another song that attempts to expand Amazing Baby's field is Roverfrenz, which seems to try and incorperate reggae into the album, albeit not too clearly. On a lighter note, however, there is the odd moment of good musicianship here and there, when they aren't being spoiled by OTT effects. Just listening to Invisible Palace and Pump Yr Brakes, good guitar playing and drum work is fairly aparent - fairly good bass work seems to litter the album all over, if you take the time to listen.

The vocals themselves seem fairly average to me. Like that singer from Pulp - Jarvis Cocker. I can't think how to explain it.. A bit like David Bowie without the grit, the power or incredible skill? I think that sums it up. They seem to have no soul or real emotion behind them. The fairly bland tone/feel of the vocal melodies is reminiscent throughout the entire album. There are some nice harmonies dotted around though, and some wierd ones too (just listen to The Narwhal - weird, but surprisingly fitting to the song). The only real interesting vocals are on the song Pump Yr Brakes, and even then they aren't exactly world-class. The lyrics of the record don't seem entirely inspired or impressive, but I put this down to to the nature and style of the music. The effects that plagued the music of "Rewild" bleeds over to vocals too, like a bad habbit on the entire album, ruining any chance of the singer displaying decent tallent. Slapping flange, delay and reverb onto your voice is bound to nothing if not kill the tone and melody. But what am I saying, this is psychedelia, right? Where's my LSD?

"Like David Bowie without the grit, power or incredibly skill", very much so. For those who've heard Bowie's "Berlin Trilogy", you'd know what I mean. This album's much like that work but modern, and with more effects - please don't get me wrong, this isn't a good thing. I think this band could be really good with new matterial and a different digital effects unit (preferably one that doesn't work). You see, the band are tight and probably quite tallented, but they've killed their music with over-production. Think what you will, but I find that there's no great feel behind this album. I wouldn't consider buying it personally, but maybe you'd think different if you're a fan of the whole psychedelic/experimental scene. If you are, check their website and make your own mind up with the free stream/song download. Overall, this one's a miss for me.

cpick2014
    saw these guys at lollapalooza this year...my friend really liked them but i thought it was less than impressive. and they have a retarded name