Death Before Musick review by Amen

• Released: Apr 13, 2004
Amen: Death Before Musick

Unbelievably, this album was recorded by two people over two years, on no label, in garages and houses around LA. Casey Chaos and Shannon Larkin being those people, you know it's going to be good. Steping away slightly from the agressive past of 'We Have Come For Your Parents', this album is a lot more commercial in parts, with punk-rock masterpieces dotted around with metal tinged creations and a slow rock finally. Expect a great ride when you stick this in your player.

With their last albums, Amen have always had songs filled to the brim with f--k and shit, but this much more toned down album has something the others don't. Don't ask why, I don't know, but these are much more commericial as well. Still, with lines like 'Nazerene says, we go to cancun' to 'Please kill me, don't wanna be alive just kill me', it has something for everyone.

This album not only stands apart from most releases of 2000 onwards, but it sticks a middle finger up at them. If forced at gunpoint to say a bad thing about this album, it would be it's way too short at 15 tracks. Buy this, burn your other albums in a bonfire and sell your souls to the gods of modern rock. Stand out tracks - Californias Bleeding, Oblivion Stereo, F--k In LA.