Fight The Frequency review by American Hi-Fi

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
American Hi-Fi: Fight The Frequency

When members are lost to Miley Cyrus and her raging trying-not-to-be-a-pre-teen stage act, you have to pray that they don't come back looking like Adam Lambert rejects trying to pull-off 10-minute synthesizer solos. Fortunately for longtime pop punk rockers American Hi-Fi, a few of their members didn't have to suffer to the hands of a wannabe country-esque Madonna. Barely impacted by past or present collaborations, the Boston quartet have unveiled Fight The Frequency, the group's fourth full-length that moshes with the timeline of punk with a reckless abandon.

Though a 2010 "Flavor Of The Weak" is no where to be found, the 12 recordings touch different ages of punk without leaving permanent stains and invite listeners on a general journey through the genre's variety of sounds. The self-titled pop anthem and guitar-churning "This Is A Low" try to do their best Green Day impressions but it's the stroll into familiar territory like the edgy ballads "Where Love Is A Lie" and "Lost" that reassure the record won't be plastered as a complete failure. That is if you can stomach the Yellowcard-powered "Keep It Like A Secret" and vocalist/guitarist Stacey Jones' 90s' growl on "Frat Clump" and "Bullet". The consistent page-turning of styles and sounds invites those with an open mind, but it does carry a momentum that can cause seasickness, especially if you were hoping American Hi-Fi would stay inside of the box instead of ripping it open, trying to find another full of cereal prizes.

"If you believe the worst in me, I'll do the same for you / I'll crush your dreams if you crush my dreams , it's the least I can do" wails American Hi-Fi's famed frontman on "Acetate". The honest intentions brings out the early 2000s' in the group but as the disc spins on, it's worrisome if the band is losing its flavor.

Jones is known as a chilled-out vocalist who could care less about evolving his burnt-out rasp, but it's come to a point where his performance seems to be unbearable to hear. Not because his voice is strained to an extent, but at times ("Stargazer") he acts uninspired even if he really is trying to channel different influences under a punk moniker. His ability with the pen is still intact as almost every track on Fight The Frequency is written with the band's trademark style, but it's not enough to rid the record of a sense of laziness you often find in the jam sessions your stoner friends host every Saturday afternoon.

Thinking the group had passed on years ago, the expectations for Fight The Frequency to soar were low. Not as low as Miley Cyrus' transformation into a 17-year-old premature Lady Gaga, but enough to discourage one from giving the album a chance.

Such an opportunity is what it needs as even though it doesn't stand out like a beach ball in a haystack, American Hi-Fi's new work is worth venturing through as a blistering ear-basher or touching punk ballad may become one of your favourite songs this year. In a year like 2010, it's heartwarming to see such an aging act reach out to fad-loving audience, even if they wear torn Converses with a dignified dress shirt.

Anarchy_Ant
    Mmm, nostalgia. Gonna have to check this out, they were always a pretty fun band.
    Caboose911
    Oh American hi Fi. How I missed you I thought the new album would be watered down bullshit, but it was awesome! Excellent album
    abbydaddy03
    Gyoung1991 wrote: I have to say this reviewer annoys me. He sounds like a pissed off 12 yr old on youtube by mentioning Miley Cyrus so much.
    yeah dat
    iH8CarAccidents
    My first instinct when seeing this on the home page was "They're still around? and they've made more songs than 'Flavor of the Week'?" I might check this out anyway. Just for the sake of nostalgia. Back in the days when it was okay to listen to Bowling for Soup and their ilk.
    Gyoung1991
    TheDissident
    100%guitarmad wrote: Album art spelling fail?
    I think it may have been intentional... but regardless, I was saddened by the fact that the spelling error was the first thing I noticed
    wraith313
    Saw these guys at a local show like ten years ago. It started raining and their equipment got wet and quit working (show was outside), so lead singer cracked out an acoustic and just started playing in the rain. It was, to this day, one of the coolest things ive seen a band do. Most other bands ive seen would have just left.
    Tag43
    Great album. Reminds me of their debut (which in my opinion is their best.) These guys were the first to really get me into rock. Fantastic, underrated band =]
    mapoubelle