Restoration Review

Amiensus: Restoration
Released: Jan 1, 2013
Genre: Progressive Black Metal
Label: Self-released
Amiensus are more or less really unique. Everything sounds rather unique and exciting and no song is like the other.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Restoration Reviewed by: BloodDuster, on january 13, 2015

Sound: Soundwise Amiensus is more or less really unique. They have 4 different singers (3 male and 1 female) in which the main vocalist does most clean and harsh vocals. The voices altrernate very well and each one sounds different. Sometimes the growls are a bit overshadowed my the rest of the music sadly. The instruments have a huge variety ranging from acoustic guitar, clean guitar, distortion over violin and synthesizer. The whole composition may seem a bit overloaded at some points but after a few listens everything harmonizes very well. The quality is remarkable for a self-produced album, can't say any flaws about that. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are superb, the words used are not generic and seem to have a lot of thought behind them. Revolving about philosophy, mythology, theology its about loss, fear dealing with those things. The alternating clean and harsh vocals suit the overall style very well especially since the main clean singer has a fantastic ambient voice, sinking in and getting lost while hearing (in a positive way). The mix between screams growls and different clean vocals are simply fantastic and it's not like ultra brutal harsh stuff if you listen you can hear most of the lyrics out without even reading them. // 10

Overall Impression: Mostly you can compare them to Oak Pantheon (they did a split EP with them) and Woods Of Ypres although I've seen a lot of comparisons to Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Agalloch and even Blind Guardian. Even though you can clearly get the comparisons at some point they aren't a simple rip off puzzling those bands together. Everything sounds rather unique and exciting and no song is like the other. Personally I can recommend "I Am" and "Become the Fear" from the album, my personal favourites. To be honest I have nothing besides some small mixing problems to hate about the album it's nearly perfect to me! I would instantly get it again! Amiensus is a really underrated band and deserves to be listened to! // 10

Comments