Fate of Norns review by Amon Amarth

• Released: Sep 6, 2004
Amon Amarth: Fate of Norns

The first time I heard this album I knew immediately it was in drop-B standard. I thought the low end crunch fit the vocal style quite well the first time around. It still does. The tone on the guitars is remarkable and I appreciate the fact that the guitarists are very modest and don't just come forth and start shredding just to show off. There are only two leads in the whole album and I think that's pretty classy. The only thing I don't care for is the snare drum sound. It sounds a little too dry and not tight enough.

Amon Amarth are the first band I've come across that integrate a story into each one of their songs that connects directly into the next one. This shows uniqueness in the band and keeps it from getting boring. Despite the visceral growl you can actually understand some of the lyrics when he sings. The best lyrics are in Arson and Beheading of a King. I like the format of the songs too because they are not written in just standard intro verse chorus verse chorus, that type of thing. They just flow and tell the story they were meant to.

I don't think I would Amon Amarth on top of my favorite melodic death metal bands list but they would definately be in my top five. The band is unique in many ways both musically and lyrically and I think those are two things to be desired in a lot of todays music. The band makes the songs very melodic on the instrumental parts and they don't make one particular sound the whole way through. They vary their keys quite a bit. The best songs are Pursuit Of Vikings, Beheading Of A King, and Arson.

the seventh son
    SvnStringMaster wrote: they're nothing like opeth. this cd rules, but i think some of their older stuff is better. however, amon amarth rules!
    the seventh son
    Musically they don't sound like Opeth, but Johan Heggs growls do resemble Mikael Akerfeldts a lot. And i agree with you that Amon Amarth are one of the greatest melodic death metal bands of all time.
    Volkerball06
    SvnStringMaster : they're nothing like opeth. this cd rules, but i think some of their older stuff is better. however, amon amarth rules! They r not even close to Opeth, opeth is my fav band and amon amarth. Opeth is standart E and drop D, AA is B standart its not even close to sounding like opeth and they aint vikig metal. Y wuld opeth even b mentioned wth it. btw the Fate of Norns is an awsom album
    Good_Lord
    There's Ensiferum too if you like viking metal ... Maybe In Flames , I heard they were often associated as ''same music style '' . Anyway , epic album from Amon Amarth
    LordPino
    Blackening wrote: great songs are: cry of the blackbird asator valhyre awaits me @ benjaminr
    Valhyre..? You mean Valhall.