Twilight of the Thunder God review by Amon Amarth

• Released: Sep 19, 2008
Amon Amarth: Twilight of the Thunder God

After two years of touring for the With Oden On Our Side release, Amon Amarth are back at it with their Twilight of the Thundergod. With an obvious reference to Thor, this is the best album art from this band so far. It's just so... thunderous! (sorry, I had to). The band return with their B-standard tuned guitars and put out one of the best riff records in the modern metal era. Album staples such as the title track, Free Will Sacrifice and The Hero are very easy to get into when they blast in. As special guests, "Mount Doom" hired Roope from Children of Bodom to do the guitar solo on the title track and Apocalyptica make a guest appearence in what has become my favorite Amon song Live For the Kill. Twilight of the Thundergod shows how Amon Amarth have successfully, and with hammer in hand, evolved their music to the point of being one of the best melodic death metal bands in the business.

Johan Hegg is hands down one of the best live figures in music history. He loves to stomp around on the stage growling everything he says and having a jolly ol' time. But he does not fool around on this release; he is hardcore through thich and thin. His most disappointing performance and the low of the album was on Where Is Your God? because the lyrics are song really fast and it just isn't as fun to listen to. However, his performances on Free Will Sacrifice and The Hero are outstanding. The lyrics consist of the usual Amon Viking theme as well as intense battle and a strife to win at all odds. These are the sorts of lyrics that make you want to get on a boat, enter the seas carrying a huge club and act like a troll all at the same time.

This album almost seems like a sequel to With Oden On Our Side in that both records have times when there are fast and energetic songs and then there are slower and heavier tunes such as Runes to My Memory (on WOOOS). There is some ebb and flow but not as much as Fate of Norns had. That was great and I think this album needed to have a track like Arson or Beheading of a King to create a new atmosphere. The best songs here are Twilight of the Thundergod, Free Will Sacrifice, The Hero and, of course, Live For the Kill. Now go fetch your weapons and set sail on the waves. Hail Oden!

boyan89
    Amon Amarth are too underrated fascnicating stuff! I can't get them out of my metal system lately!
    Creaz93
    Great album. My favorite songs are Twilight Of The Thunder God, Guardians of Asgaard, and Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags.