Twilight of the Thunder God review by Amon Amarth

• Released: Sep 19, 2008
Amon Amarth: Twilight of the Thunder God

I hate death metal. I mean, with a passion. How then, you ask did I end up coming across Amon Amarth? Well, I am a huge fan of the "Guitar Hero" video game series and as other plastic guitar virtuosos may recall, the title track to this album was DLC for "Guitar Hero 5." During one of my best plastic axe-playing periods, I decided I wanted a bigger challenge and as fate would have it, the track caught my eye. The album art looked cool, the song had a high difficulty rating and the preview I listened sounded interesting. I proceeded to buy the track, but when I played it, I was quite amazed by the fact that every single part of the music sounded like... music. Actual music, not the horrid wall of noise that most Death Metal sounds like to me.

The singer has very clear vocals. I don't mean clean vocals, there is some growling and screaming, I mean (and this is a first for me, listening to Death Metal) you can actually understand what he is saying! Which is instantly a good thing to me. Most of Amon Amarth's lyrics deal with Norse Mythology, each album dealing with a different god. This particular album is about Thor, the god of thunder. If you're not a mythology fan, the lyrics may not be your cup of tea, but even still, the instrumentation is really solid, almost sounding like a way louder mashup of all the great underrated groups of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal and also a bit of Manowar. Look those up if you don't know what I'm talking about and you'll get what I mean.

This album is awesome and I cannot possibly recommend it highly enough to anyone who is looking for some good modern metal to sink their teeth into. I am also happy to say that I have heard a couple more of Amon Amarth's albums and that they have not disappointed me yet. The only thing I will say, is that if you have a problem with Norse mythology, like if you, for example, hate all music with lyrics focused on the subject, this has a very low chance of changing your mind, but if you are okay with it, like I am, then you need to stop reading this review and listen to the music clips under the review. Trust me, you'll like it!