With Oden on Our Side review by Amon Amarth

• Released: Sep 27, 2006
Amon Amarth: With Oden on Our Side

Amon Amarth has a pretty incredible sound. They are concidered melodic death metal, and they fit that label very well. First and foremost the lead vocalist has very deep screams, they are quite amazing to listen too. Why? Why does his vocals stand out from many other death metal bands? Because they almost sound clean. It is pretty easy to comprehend what is being said through the screaming, yet his screaming still is enjoyable. The guitars backing him are pretty simple, yet give off a soothing atmosphere. It is interesting to see how well melodic playing goes with some bone-crushing grunts. It's quite enjoyable. Last, it's important for everyone to know that Amon Amarth is all about vikings. Check out some live videos and you'll see them wearing cufflings, and running amuck as if to pillage.

The lyrics are fascinating, to say the least. They're enjoyable to blast and sing to in the car. They all tend to be about vikings and Norse mythology (Oden is a viking god). The lyrics tend to be violent (but not overly). Here is a stanza from "Valhall Awaits Me": "I rip the axe from the head/Covered in blood and brains/Leave the body lying dead/Ready to strike again." It doesn't get much worse than that (and personally it doesn't bother me). However, it is important people see this violence and are able to relate it to the viking stories they tell in their songs. If you can get past that, the lyrics are great.

This album is awesome. It's unique in comparison to so much bland death metal. Musically they are not the most complex, but they get the job done. Sometimes simplicity is best. In Amon Amarth's case, this is the truth. Standout songs: Cry of the Blackbirds, Valhall Awaits Me, Under the Northern Star, Gods of War Arise.

Slaytanic1993
    Instrumetal : isn't spelt odin? if referring to the norse god (of war i think).
    Odin can be spelled many different ways, it's all native to the country (I think it's Oden in Sweden)
    hitek008
    im glad to say that i met those guys @ sounds when it came through dallas...badass album, badass onstage and very nice doods
    grille
    Slaytanic1993 wrote: (I think it's Oden in Sweden)
    yes your right
    ACDCRocksPM
    Metal_R_Us wrote: I saw these guys live on wendsday opening for CoB. They were really good.
    dude amon amarth and children of bodom, man they are like my two favorite death metal bands, now just add in flames and soilwork and that would be the greatest death metal concert ever!!!
    boyan89
    That was directed to ACDCRocksPM, and yup this is one of the best albums of 2006. I'm gonna learn about Norse Mythology now the subject seems intriguing.
    Iamacow
    Does anyone else feel like becoming a viking after hearing this album? Cause I sure as hell do
    SuperSeether
    i WOULD start bitching about how EVERYTHING this band writes sounds the same.... but that's ok because it is FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!