Tales From The Thousand Lakes Review

artist: Amorphis date: 11/25/2010 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Amorphis: Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Released: Jul 12, 1994
Genre: Death/doom, Melodic death metal, Folk metal
Label: Relapse
A great mood, great riffs, drums and singer makes this album just godly.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Tales From The Thousand Lakes Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2010

Sound: The second studio album from Amorphis continues the heavy and melodic line they started on the Karelian Isthumus album, but now the keyboard has a more important role. A heavy low-tuned rhythm guitar and growling vocals combined with high melodic guitar riffs/keyboard patterns is what this album is all about. Drums fit in nicely and seals the deal. A truly godly mix. Definitely the best album of Amorphis and worth of listening. 01. Thousand Lakes. A beautiful melodic keyboard intro, 5/5. 02. Into Hiding. Good song that I really like. The beginning is the greatest with it's low and heavy riff combined with the high guitar and the keyboard backing it. Growling makes it even better, 4.5/5 03. The Castaway. Another good song with less heavy riffs, 4.5/5 04. First Doom. Not my favourite song, but still pretty good. It has a few interesting riffs, 4/5 05. Black Winter Day. The most known song of the album and an Amorphis classic. Really catchy keyboard pattern and guitar riff, 5/5. 06. Drowned Maid. One of my favourites with a few great riffs, 4.5/5. 07. In the Beginning. A good song with a good melodic riff, 4/5. 08. Forgotten Sunrise. Not my favourite, but has a few interesting riffs and a good solo/outro, 4/5. 09. To Father's Cabin. The keyboard is the main instrument in this song. I really don't like it but someone else might, 3.5/5 10. Magic and Mayhem. A great ending and one of the best songs of the album. One of my favourites, 5/5. // 10

Lyrics: Growl vocals with a few clear backing vocals. The lyrics tell mostly about the Finnish epic, Kalevala. Amorphis has always been inspired by Kalevala and all the other Finnish national themes (Amorphis is a Finnish band, by the way). As a Finn myself too, I feel really proud about the lyrical themes in this album has and it makes a great mood in it. Singer is pretty good, but I think nowadays Amorphis singer, Tomi Joutsen is better. // 9

Overall Impression: A great mood, great riffs, drums and singer makes this album just godly. Amorphis made their breakthrough with it and it represents the top of melodic death metal albums. I'm mostly a thrash metal fan myself, but if you love Megadeth or Slayer, why couldn't you love this too? The fast melodical riffs reminds me about Dave Mustaine's awesome songs/albums. It would be real a shame if this album was never published and I would miss miss it very much. The only thing I hate, is that Amorphis stopped playing this kind of music and I just wonder what could they have accomplished. // 10

Comments