Back To Black review by Amy Winehouse

• Released: Dec 19, 2006
Amy Winehouse: Back To Black

After Amy Winehouse's previous album, entitled 'Frankie', there were high expectations for what she had in store for the music industry next. With an already established image and presence in the business as a highly talented female vocalist, Amy began writing her second album, 'Back to Black'. It is obvious that Amy and the band are inspired by a huge variety of music, from Elvis to Sister Sledge, there are snippets of everything from the last forty years in this album. Saxophones, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, trumpets, tubas, there are many many different instruments on this album that add flavour to the genre of Back to Black.

Whilst half of the album lies in the 'romantic' department of lyrics and song writing, there is also another dark side to the album. Amy Winehouse is known to have drinking and possibly drug problems, and some tracks on her album support this. The first single off of the album, 'Rehab' has lyrics which strongly support people theories on her drug, drink and emotional problems, with the chorus consisting of mainly one line, "They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said no, no, no." There are hints to her emtional problems throughout the album also. Amy Winehouse has an outstanding voice in most peoples eyes, and stands out as one of the best female voices in the music business today. When Amy's voice combines with the music of her band, a certain magic is created.

I have no real problems with this album, as there is something in it for everyone. With a Brit award under her belt, this proves that not many disagree with me. However, the only problem I do face with this album is the fact that there is no real story to the album, or at least, consistent theme, as each song switches between theme which can sometimes be misleading and confusing. However, this is only a minor naggle and all in all this album is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone with an open mind.

SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Great voice, but her band is what really sets her apart. The voice and the music are just so fluid together.
    guitarkid2113
    I thought this album was really good... I downloaded it the first day I got my iPod. Played it on my moms iHome that morning and danced the day away.. haha :/ yeah it's a really good album I think. I don't get why some people bash her. I mean, every musician has problems. She's really talented and hopefully she won't become another Janis Joplin or such.
    OhState4109
    idk i just cant see whats so special about her and her music...i dont think she deserved any grammys
    christianpagehe
    then you never heard her sing i mean just listen to this:
    and you will have to say that shes one of the best vocalists youve ever heard and if youre not, you just dont want to recognize it
    Zappanator
    she didnt deserve grammys the grammys have gone to hell anyway nobody good ever wins most of the time, but every now and then someone i like gets one